weekly Happygolucky's 52 week challenge 2012- Sigh added

happygolucky

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Being relatively new to photography I think this challenge will be harder then I expect, but here goes..
Fist photo to follow soon :)

Ok, so here's my first one. A train can only travel in two directions, forwards and backwards :) Had to take this handheld as no tripods are allowed on the platform. The sky didn't do me any favours :shake:

2012/52 by hpygolucky, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

Edit: I'm not sure that's my best photo of my interpretation, I like this one as I think the composition works better and the conversion helps with the dull/flat sky? Still not happy with the exposure on the sky though.

2012/52 B+W by hpygolucky, on Flickr

Last edited:
best of luck :banana:

Thank you Summer :)
Week 1 : Direction http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4281686#post4281686
Week 2 : Fear
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 :
Week 5 :
Week 6 :
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention I really enjoyed going out this morning with a specific subject/theme to capture rather then clicking away randomly. I think I'm going to really enjoy this challenge and hopefully see an improvement in my skills :)

Good luck with the challenge.

I think the left hand side of the B&W image is very interesting, love the reflections and shapes.

Good start Andrew, is there any reason why you have gone for square crops?

Good start Andrew, is there any reason why you have gone for square crops?
Not really, just cropping out clutter. Thank you (y)
Hi Andrew,

The 2nd take on the theme is my preferred shot.
I think the first needed a little more motion blur, but that may have been difficult handheld.
I also find the spot of rain on the lens on the top third distracting and the crop through the detail on the column.

Good luck with the 52.
I never noticed that until you mentioned it :bonk: thanks for making me open my eyes more (y)
Good luck with the challenge.

I think the left hand side of the B&W image is very interesting, love the reflections and shapes.

Thank you.

just thought it might be a good idea to post the originals up in case someone fancy's a go with them and show me any improvements?

OG/2012 by hpygolucky, on Flickr

OG 2012 by hpygolucky, on Flickr

As you can see the second is very wonky due to no live view or flip screen without fully laying down.

The mono is a cool shot matey (y)

Nice one.

#1 with a crop off the top and a bit more room at the front..for the train to move into. Nice motion.

#2, like the angle and I prefer the B&W. Sky doesn't bother me.

Cheers.

Andy, Do you know that anyone can download your original images off flickr?
You may want to change the settings in flickr to make it a little harder for people to use them without your permission!
Thanks, i'v now changed it.
Hello Andrew,

Photo number 2 is my favourite, too. I think it works well.

Good luck with your 52!
Mine too, thank you (y)
The mono is a cool shot matey (y)
(y)
Nice one.

#1 with a crop off the top and a bit more room at the front..for the train to move into. Nice motion.

#2, like the angle and I prefer the B&W. Sky doesn't bother me.

Cheers.

Thanks for your suggestion (y)

HI Happy , i prefer #1 just the right amount of motion blur for me the only crit is there something on the wall under the window which is a bit distracting but thats me just being picky.

Cheers

Steve

Not a lot I could do about that, it's a clear plastic bin bag.
Appreciate your comment Steve (y)

I prefer No.2. But you say you dont like the sky... would it be woth PS'ing something in instead? something a little more moody?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. Now for week two, I have an idea, just need to see if I can execute it (y)

Being relatively new to photography I think this challenge will be harder then I expect, but here goes..
Fist photo to follow soon :)

Ok, so here's my first one. A train can only travel in two directions, forwards and backwards :) Had to take this handheld as no tripods are allowed on the platform. The sky didn't do me any favours :shake:

2012/52 by hpygolucky, on Flickr

Thanks for looking (y)

Edit: I'm not sure that's my best photo of my interpretation, I like this one as I think the composition works better and the conversion helps with the dull/flat sky? Still not happy with the exposure on the sky though.

2012/52 B+W by hpygolucky, on Flickr

I really like the tones and the lines in the second one.

love the motion and composition of your first image, but the processing swings it for me on no 2!
I think if the front of the train (in no 1) was the 'still' bit, and the motion blur followed behind, it would have made a really superb image.
Brilliant first week, and looking forward to seeing more
x

Here we go with week two-Fear :geek:
I went out in the early hours this morning to a local graveyard to get this shot, it's my interpretation of the theme, I figured grave yards make some people scared, hence "Fear"

2012/52-Fear by hpygolucky, on Flickr

I used an off camera flash for lighting.
Thanks for looking (y)

After some consideration I think this image from the same set suits the theme better.
Thought's if you don't mind, thank you.

52/fear by hpygolucky, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, its a good take on the theme and definitely fits. I also like the B+W conversion youve done on this. Im not sure exactly what kit you have access to, but if you could have got really close to the stone from a low perspective with a lens with a fairly wide low end, the stone would have looked like it was looming over you...if that makes sense :thinking:

Anyway, thats MY take on YOUR photo :D

(y)

I see what you mean Nick, I think I'll have another go at it, thanks (y)

Edit: The widest I can go is 18mm btw. A siggy 10-20 is on my wishlist.

Last edited:
I see what you mean Nick, I think I'll have another go at it, thanks (y)

Edit: The widest I can go is 18mm btw. A siggy 10-20 is on my wishlist.

The good thing about graves and graveyards is that you can go back anytime and they will still be there...they arent going anywhere are they?

Ill keep a look out for your new one (y)

I think I prefer your first fear shot, the black and white lends itself well to this type of shot.I'm not sure about the second one, I want to see more of the front of the gravestone and maybe taken a little lower down!

Well done!

Back