Hard drive recommendations

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to buy a Drobo unit and obviously I am going to need some drives to go in it and they should be at least 1TB.

There are so many on the market and I am the first to admit I am clueless when it comes to hardware so can you recommend any drives and just as importantly are there any I should avoid?

I was dissapointed a while back with Sungs and Seagates...and now I stick with Western Digital drives. I only use 7200rpm ones with 32mb cache. there are 64mb on the market at the moment but I dont think they are worth it and dont think they will be much more faster.

Running Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB currently, but not for long enough to be able to pass judgement.

However, Custom PC mag rates this drive as the best on the market for speed and silence at the moment.

I've heard plenty of good things about the Samsung F3, and the F1 isn't too far behind. I have heard a few complaints about the F2 though....

If I was after a 1TB drive I think I'd go for the F3. Then again the last few Seagates I've had have been pretty good.

Decisions, decisions!!! :D

have had four western digital drives fail and one of their NAS raid system fail on me. i personally would stay way from them.

I use samsung drives in my drobo.

I always say Samsung F1 drives BUT I would also look at the F2. Very good price/performance level.

general consensus (contrary to that report from repair co's): anything but hitachi "deathstar" drives!

personally, I use samsung for most of my drives.

Think I've posted this before

http://www.retrodata.co.uk/good_bad_ugly.php

data recovery companies comments. Samsung for me :)

i wouldnt agree with the seagate comments on there to be honest, ive got 3 externals (2 3.5 desktops and 1 2.5 mobile) and theyre all fine. yes they bought maxtor but only for a few patented designs and have kept maxtor as a separate budget brand.

general consensus (contrary to that report from repair co's): anything but hitachi "deathstar" drives!

personally, I use samsung for most of my drives.

No such thing any more! When they were IBM they were ropey to say the least but new hitachi ones are absolutely fine. However, I would still recommend samsung!

At the moment I'm running 3 samsung 1TB F1's and 3 Western Digital 640GB "Black"

Only drives I'd not use again are seagate, having had two fairly new drives die a couple of years ago :shrug:

At the moment I'm running 3 samsung 1TB F1's and 3 Western Digital 640GB "Black"

Only drives I'd not use again are seagate, having had two fairly new drives die a couple of years ago :shrug:

Was it the F1's that died? An early batch of those was rather suspect and there were a lot of failures.

Was it the F1's that died? An early batch of those was rather suspect and there were a lot of failures.

probably 7200.08 or .09. Can't honestly remember though :thinking:

They were both 500GB I seem to recall though.

i wouldnt agree with the seagate comments on there to be honest, ive got 3 externals (2 3.5 desktops and 1 2.5 mobile) and theyre all fine. yes they bought maxtor but only for a few patented designs and have kept maxtor as a separate budget brand.

It does match my experience. I've had Seagate failures and WD failures but never Samsung. Have some quite old and heavily used Samsung drives that are still fine.

I'm in a vaguely similar situation and have done a bit of research on 2tb internal drives, for what it's worth.

In total I've had seven WD drives over 8yrs (two OEM fitment in Dell desktops, two retro fitted drives into said desktops, and three external "Mybook" efforts) and, finger's crossed, have never suffered a failure.

Based on this experience I started looking at Western Digital drives and later also had a look at Seagate. Since historically Maxtor and Hitachi don't have a good rep. for drive longevity, I didn't bother investigating them. Havn't looked into Samsung either, although will do on the recommendations in this thread.

The first thing to note is that drive characteristics vary with capacity within a particular model range; so just because a 2tb is recommended, doesn't mean a 1.5tb in the same range will be as good. Best to decide what capacity you need, then research drives of that capacity, rather than researching a range as a whole.

I looked at WD Caviar Green drives initially due to their cost / low power consumption and low noise. Most tests confirmed these characteristics, but also showed that they were quite a bit slower than WD Cavier Black drives (IIRC the black drives were about 40% faster, although I can't find the site now). However, Black drives are costlier, use more power and create more noise.

Currently a 2tb WD Green drive with 64mb cache can be had from Amazon for about £140 while the Black equivalent is about £240. The Black also has a 5yr warranty as opposed to 3yr for the Green.

It appears that in terms of price per Gb the 2tb drives are about in the middle of their respective product ranges, being cheaper than the sub-1tb models, and more expensive than the 1 and 1.5tb models.

I abused Google for reliability information, and it appears that the Green drives have a reasonably high failure rate, however I think a lot of these were DOA due to poor packaging used for mail order products (this appeared to apply to all drives regardless of make, to a certain degree).

I looked at the Seagate Barracuda LP (the equivalent of the 2tb WD Green drive), and whilst the Seagate's performance was reputidly a bit better, it has an abysmal rep for failure so I'll be steering clear of them. While historically Seagate have always had a good name for reliability, it appears that they've gone rapidly downhill since they procured Maxtor.

In summary I was left somewhat unimpressed by all of the drives in terms of reliability, however it appears that the Cavier Black is the best of the lot, if you can stomach the price and power consumption (which I personally can't - a grand for four drives!). Next are the Caviar Greens, and then the Seagates.

Finally, some things worth bearing in mind are; while reliability is obviously paramount, for backup and data storage, how important is drive speed?

Also, referring to RobertP's retrodata link, it's probably worth considering the power consumption and thermal properties of drives with respect to how they'll be stored. Does the Drobo have integrated fans? If not, that's a lot of energy being dissipated in a relatively small, enclosed space, and low power consumption drives might be the best bet for this application.

Good luck finding a solution - Lack of funds means I won't be buying owt in the near future, which is probably a good thing as hopefully over time reliability should improve and price should fall.. :)

Another vote for the Samsung F1 here

Have to add another +1 for the Samsung F1's..
Using the 1TB ones for a while,no problems at all. :)

I have 2 x Samsung 1TB F3's in Raid 0 and 1 x 1.5TB Samsung F2 in an Icy box as a backup drive, solid drives, can hardly hear them, no vibrations which is good when in an enclosure.

Tbh the whole I would never use brand X drive again is silly, everywhere you go people will tell you to avoid different brands. If you listened to them you would never want to buy a drive, just make sure to maintain backups and you'll be good to go.

Back