hard to find stereo microphone.

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
You would think it "oh it can't be that hard" but how wrong can one be. I wanted one that would fit into the cradle on a panasonic HC-X1500 handle as shown below

P1051221.JPG

tThe problem is/was most only fitted into the cold shoe not into the cradle clamp which is what i wanted. In the end I found after much searching a Panasonic VW-VMS10 where the cold shoe mount could be removed. Great thought I until trying to fit with the "deadcat" on and it didn't, so had to cut off the back part of the deadcat at the right spot so the cable hung down freely and a bit of he deadcat could go into the clamp.
this then allowed me to add additional items such as an L.E.D light if needed to suppliment the one in the handle or evem another mic of mine without having to remove this one

P1051223.JPG
so why go to all this trouble? because it is light in weight and balances the setup better only half the weight of my Azen microphone which I can still use via the hotshoe and just unplugging one and plugging it the other

That square bit was cut down from a hotshoe extended mount and into the thread on the handle to blend in better. the recessed metal thread on the handle not a good idea to leave exposed to damp collecting in. I am a little surprised panasonic don't supply some sort of rubber plug for it

Last edited:
small update. I have ben looking at getting a different deadcat becaujse i don't think the "hair" is long enough to provide a decent wind barrier. Already have one made by Gutmann (Germany) for my Sennheiser microphone and notice they now do one for the panasonic above with longer "hair" yes i did check "hair" length before ordering and should be the same according to adverts

top gutmann
lower panasonic

P1051224.JPG

should make a significent difference

Oh that IS super tricky, cause I was going to recommend the Rode stereo mic which is awesome, but then after reading through noticed you mentioning weight and I wasn't too sure the weight differences. But a thought came to mind maybe wiring up your own stereo mic from to mics. Ok now I'm thinking not that practically haha. I'm not sure what you have lying around, but if you're like me there is so much stuff to make stuff, I think I'd have enough to wire up a pretty decent stereo mic, but would probably be way too heavy and I'd need to 3d print some kind of mount. But yours looks nice!

Ezra
several reasons why I rejected getting the RHODE microphone,
So I went for the AZDEN SMX -30V version instead.
with this one the audio cable is detachable so you could put any length on it without connectors to additions lengths.
The battey compartment takes AA batteries and easily swapped over and available anywhere not the 9V ones the Rhode takes
with power up either by its own batteries or from the camera battery with then turns of when the camera turns off
directional or stereo depending on how you turn the dial at the back
half the price of the Rhode so allowing one to purchase a "deadcat" as well
P1051283.jpg
shown with dead cat wind muffler over foam
So this was my personal choice, yours may well be different. I do have the choice of 3 microphones and depends on what and were and weather as to which i use

Last edited:
Back