Hare in the maize

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Most of the farms are heavy into pheasant shoots around my location ,so the planting of maize around the boarders of fields especially now the harvest has started seem to give the hares a place to gather . Now as the maize is not to high this gives a great chance to catch some nice action as long as the gamekeepers don,t spot you first ,then all you get is "get of my land". This one came running down one of the rows and as he got nearer stopped to have a look and then proceeded to run closer and pass just in front of me with no great urgency.

Running the Maize by John, on Flickr

8M6A4413 by John, on Flickr

8M6A4427 by John, on Flickr

Nice set John, 1st being the pick for me, looks great running towards you through the maize (y)

Be interested to see what others think, but the greens look over saturated on my monitor, reducing both yellow then green channel a little made it looked more natural to me :)

Nice set of photos , top one would be my choice , Stu will like it , it has " Mush " :D . It seems us photographing Hares have a struggle with getting the greens right . I am becoming convinced that Canon bodies are not great at it , I often find the images out of camera to warm . Not so keen on hearing your on land your not welcome on , have you asked for permission ? You might do o.k and get permission on land elsewhere with the right reputation and the offer of a few free prints , worked for me .

Phil I can't disagree with the greens, i just processed from a jpeg and more than likely pushed the contrast to much. Lepus always struggle with the greens , and as for permission to be on the land it does have quite a few public footpaths , the owner seems quite a nice guy but the gamekeeper thinks he owns the land .

Nice shots- I do like to see Hares - as an ex-Gamekeeper, I do often wonder why people think it's ok to wander around anywhere they choose

If you hear " Get Off My Land" then in fact you'd be trespassing- if you contact a landowner I'm sure most will have no objection to a Photographer

always worth an ask!

Les :)

John me olde mate I don't really want to harp on about this. Just want to try and make you aware of something. As you know my hare spot is also a game shoot. The maize is a cover crop where the keeper hopes to hold the game birds. He's yelling at ya because he doesn't want the area disturbed. I have had one visit since look down, but on my next I will be limited, to where I can go because of disturbance. Mate as above no need for me to dwell on the above posts, Lez and Mark have already said it all, I just want to try and explain why the keeper is actiing how he is, it's his living. If he doesn't provide his boss with birds he will be replaced.

Ok mate nuff said :) lets get to the fun stuff, agreed on the green's and yellows already covered. Really like the first frame although that maize would play hell with me personally where it intersects the ear.

John that 3rd image speaks to me, when hares are close like this they are incredibly difficult to frame, it's such a shame those ears are cut ,but mate I have done the exact same thing. Around the point where that second image was made is probably the place I'd try and flip the camera to portrait, have a crack next time it happens john, it might just make life easier. It's a gamble for sure, but I feel it stacks the odds in your favour.

Being this close to a hare doesn't happen every day, it's such a fantastic image making chance, but man it's so hard to nail in the heat of the moment. My honest thought here was if that last frame was in portrait it would be the best image of the 3 for me personally

all the luck

stu

Les thanks for the comments,I might visit this location once a month and never during the pheasant shooting season. I do stick to the paths 90% of the time and only dive of to get a shot being as stealth like as not to disturbe the wildlife as pos. I have total respect for the land and wildlife always stay clear of the pens and I don't play games of hide and seek with the gamekeeper , if we bump into each other these days we can have a chat but he knows that I still get my pics.

Stu,as for the framing it's lucky I remember to press the shutter button .As a wildlife photographer it's lucky I get what I get as nearly always forget to check settings "landscapes are so much easier ,they don't move" . The last pic he just lollops past me and yep just pressing the button no thought to framing center point focus,and yes I could have zoomed out, l could have should have done a lot of things but I didn't. But I enjoyed the walk the wildlife and I have some nice pics so at the end of the day that keeps me going . Appreciate all the comments ,many thanks.

john you have no idea how often I just stare like a wide eyed kid and completely forget the camera. it's so magical to have a hare feet away, everything goes out of the window ,it's funny,

It quite nice knowing others do the same ;)

Back