Harlaxton manor bluebells

I like it Kevin. I like it a lot. I haven't been able to get up into the hills this year so I'm jealous of any mass bluebell pictures :D

As you asked for critique. The large branch looks very dark on my screen but may not be on your original. If it was dark on my screen I might try to paint on some positive exposure compensation just so it's not quite so dark and a little detail is visible. But it's your choice and I may be wrong and I do like the picture very much. Well done :D

I like it as it is.

But … I find the bench a bit disturbing (right word? distracting). If it were mine I would crop in from the right to make it square (but I always favour square :() or 4x3. That loses a lot of Alan’s “dark branch”, makes the seat bigger and the path stronger and the couple more central, while keeping the bluebells which are the main subject.. But history would show that nobody else would like it then ;)

Have to agree about the dark branch right across the frame being a bit off putting/ distracting, in fact the whole right hand side of the frame is a bit dark and shadowy. I like the idea though, I think the people in the scene and the bench add interest. I know how hard it is to get good bluebell photos. I have been nothing but disappointed with what I have managed this year.

Thanks all, I had never thought that about the branch, as I was just using it to frame the image, but it is a bit redundant as its not the main feature and comes across a bit distracting!

Thanks all, I had never thought that about the branch, as I was just using it to frame the image, but it is a bit redundant as its not the main feature and comes across a bit distracting!

If you do find it distracting can you paint on some exposure compensation just to see if you think it improves the look for you?

Try a square crop to take out the right hand side and put the people in the centre?

Dave.
Haha! Post#3. I didn’t expect anyone to agree with me ;).

Back