Harrier Retirement

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Shots from last Monday and Wednesday at RAF Cottesmore...

Sunset12.jpg

Sunset07.jpg

Sunset02.jpg

Sunset10.jpg

Sunset03.jpg

Sunset08.jpg

Fantastic shots! Shame about her retirement, love the 'sun kissed' shots: very Top Gun!

Lovely set of pics. Sad to see the old girl go. The last great piece of engineering from a once great nation.

100% agree with this, although newer aircraft may do some things better I doubt they will have the character of this great aircraft.

Another sad day for this country....:thumbsdown:

Thanks for all the feedback - appreciate it. I was happy with the sunset shots myself - after the morning we had, sitting in fog for about 6 hours, we were very lucky to have the weather clear like that.

Unfortunately the second trip, on the Wednesday, came at the expense of my 20D, which gave up the ghost in the cold. I have no camera now atm. :(

Some stunning photos there, a really nice set, well done.

Thank you for producing such a lovely set of photos of this glorious aircraft!

Nice pics....It's a bad day for our armed forces now these are retired.

I envy anyone living next to an airfield. I live near RAF Leeming, but unfortunately we lost our Tornado's a couple of years ago.

JOD.

will be missed but anyhow a smashing set
A guy near me has one in his garden pity it wont be takling off and landing

Beautiful images, I love the silhouetted ones, especially the last! Shame about her retirement :(

Wasn't expecting to see this thread back up at the top!

Thanks for all the feedback. :)

Very nice photographs! I think anybody would be able to recognize the last image as a Harrier even if they have little interest in such things. Sad to see it go!

Disgusting that they're retiring these beautiful planes (that are way ahead of their time imho) before any replacement is available.

Anyway off the soapbox..... Excellent shots - I love the like in shots 2 and 3 - the light on them is excellent and the ones of them going into the sunset - stunning!!

Thank you for sharing! :)

Matt

Fantastic shots! Shame about her retirement, love the 'sun kissed' shots: very Top Gun!

Couldn't agree more...... cue Kenny Loggins (into the Danger Zone). :LOL:

Really great shots, i'm quite envious of those!

Excellent set of pics, I hope the Harrier will still make an appearance at air shows!
The sun set very apt, another piece of British innovation and engineering thrown on the scrap heap, maybe we'll buy our aircraft from China in the future!:wacky:

Had the pleasure of being at front of brands hatch grandstand for worldsuperbikes at brands hatch as they flew sideways along the grandstand bowing at the crowd, was awesome.

The pilots even offered a harrier simulator ride at the after race party for charity, great guys, great planes and great shots.

Gz

Some very nostalgic shots. Shame to see her go - now relegated the same as Concorde and the Vulcan.

Back