Harris Hawk

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
More from a falconry exhibition last weekend, a Harris Hawk...

IMG_5590-01.jpg

IMG_5604-01.jpg

IMG_5647-01.jpg

IMG_5648-01.jpg

They're all good pictures but the one that I think is by far the best is the last one. Really sharp and a very pleasing composition and the bokeh gives a very good background.

I like the first one, it's showing some real attitude :)

excellent detail, and very sharp, which of your lenses did you use?

All taken on the EF75-300mm MkIII USM

I wish I'd gone for the IS version to be honest.
These were hand held but a lot of my h/h shots just don't make the gallery!

I'll say it again, I'm really impressed with the LAB mode USM sharpening tutorial I found here :thankyous

Great shots! I prefer the first which looks like it might benefit from a little more contrast, while the others look a little over-saturated, that might be just me though, I'm not a lover of overdoing the saturation, I prefer a more natural appearance.

The ideal saturation/contrast level for me would be somewhere between the first pic and the other three.

Thanks CT...totally agree with your comments.

In hindsight, the first one could use a little more contrast.
I've just viewed them on my laptop and it seems I need to sort my main monitor calibration out as they could live with being a little less saturated.

I use Monitor Calibration Wizard 1.0 (free) and it doesn't seem to be holding the calibration very well.

Obviously, squeezing in levels or increasing contrast also lifts colour saturation so I need to pay more attention to that also.

Very hard to choose as they are all good pics and way beyond my capabilities. But I think I prefer 2,3 & 4 with 4 I think being the best. But hard to choose as 2 & 3 are right up there. :)

Thanks Ken...to be honest they were just lucky shots.
It's not often you get a chance to get so close up to them, they were tethered, the light was good, a nice undisturbing background of foliage and I just got right down there with them, lying on the floor (which helped in steadying the camera also) with people tripping over me!

Must get myself a bean bag!

I agree that the first one shows a lot of attitude and the last too - capturing the rest of the body gives the bird some space to look into. Amazing creatures. An online gaming pal of mine, well clanmate, had a day's falconry as his 40th birthday treat - something I would've been well pleased with when I passed that milestone (in about 1485).

Back