Harris - Lewis

ST1

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Just a few images from a recent trip to the Outer Hebrides. Your thoughts and comments welcome.

1. Lewis Broch, exif Canon 5D4, ISO100, f16, 1/13Sec, 16-35f4 @35mm

2. Lewis Ruin, exif, Canon 5D4, ISO100, f16, 1/15 Sec, 70-200f2.8 @ 133mm

3. Harris near Horgabost, exif Canon 5D4, ISO100,f16, 1/80Sec, 16-35 f4@ 16mm

4. Added to show a different composition and hopefully some clarity in response to post #6 below. Exif ISO100, f16, 1/13Sec, 16-35f4 @ 35mm

Last edited:
Nice set.

I have to go there.

Did you see Nigel Danson's series from there?

Reactions: ST1
A nice set, the first one in particular reminded me of visiting there in 2012.

For #2, I find the rock on the right of the frame a bit distracting, but I can see why you haven't cropped in, as it would have lost more of the tree. Could you have stepped a couple of paces to the left to shoot it? To get less rock and potentially more tree in the frame?

Nice set. The sky in the first and last looks a bit dark to my eye with the foreground brighter. It works well taking the eye to the subject but looks a bit unnatural to me

Last edited:
A nice set, the first one in particular reminded me of visiting there in 2012.

For #2, I find the rock on the right of the frame a bit distracting, but I can see why you haven't cropped in, as it would have lost more of the tree. Could you have stepped a couple of paces to the left to shoot it? To get less rock and potentially more tree in the frame?
Lewis
I have added an additional image, to hopefully answer you question. I didn't want to clamber over any fences or gates to get into a different position to exclude the bit of wall showing in #2.
I did shoot from about three different spots whilst I was there. However the other shooting positions brought in other unwanted elements (modern buildings, power poles etc.) I haven't posted images from the other positions on here. But there is one in the same gallery as these four on my website if you want to see what I mean.

Lewis
I have added an additional image, to hopefully answer you question. I didn't want to clamber over any fences or gates to get into a different position to exclude the bit of wall showing in #2.
I did shoot from about three different spots whilst I was there. However the other shooting positions brought in other unwanted elements (modern buildings, power poles etc.) I haven't posted images from the other positions on here. But there is one in the same gallery as these four on my website if you want to see what I mean.
Pesky fences!

Very jealous of you . I worked on gas main replacement in Stornoway for a year way back in the mid 1990's . Harris blew me away with it's beauty ,and I also had the chance to meet Ian Botham and Eric Clapton . Love your photos .

Last edited:
Beautiful colour and clarity in your processing, alongside a great eye for composition.

Lovely ST1. No.1 being my favourite. Well taken and I assume a good and enjoyable trip :D

Great set of photos.
Can highly recommend a visit. We went last June, looks like the weather was much kinder to you than it was to us.
We also visited the broch but unfortunately it was mostly covered in scaffolding.
We're in the process of organising a return visit in May next year.

Lovely ST1. No.1 being my favourite. Well taken and I assume a good and enjoyable trip :D
We did have a enjoyable trip, we had been to the Uist's earlier in the year, because of issues with ferry uncertainty on that trip (we were booked from Sky to Uist) we changed ferry routes to Ullapool to Stornoway and then a run South through Lewis to Leverberg in Harris. That quick dash to get to the Uist's prompted our return to Harris and Lewis.

Great set of photos.
Can highly recommend a visit. We went last June, looks like the weather was much kinder to you than it was to us.
We also visited the broch but unfortunately it was mostly covered in scaffolding.
We're in the process of organising a return visit in May next year.
The weather is always a challenge on the Islands, what isn't apparent from these images is the the day before we were housebound as it was raining all day. IMO the Broch is more photogenic (from a landscape perspective) than Calanais Standing Stones. The pano below is from a previous years visit.

Last edited:
Nice set, it has been on my bucket list for while to get up there, it's just such a long way from the south east and really needs some time to do it justice.
It is a fair distance to drive, flying to Stornoway and hiring a car may reduce your travel time but bump up the travel costs. You do IMO need to spend some time to do the island justice, getting around on single track roads with passing places is time consuming too.

An alternative is to travel to Inverness, hire a car there, drive to Ullapool and get the ferry to Stornoway.

Dave

I have a friend who lives there - his recommendation if not flying direct was flight to Inverness, then the bus to the Ullapool Ferry on foot then hire a car.
The bus and the ferry are/were synchronised so if the bus is late the ferry will wait - the bus was pretty cheap. The car passage is expensive and limited. He recently had to go by foot off the island because the car deck was full - probably a summer thing.
When we did it there were 5 of us so we took a minibus taxi direct from the airport at Inverness.

Back