Hartshead Pike at dusk

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hartshead Pike is a local landmark overlooking Ashton under Lyne, Mossley and part of Oldham.

It's a grand composition, but something has gone very wrong in the processing, there's a very obvious and distracting halo around the building that spoils the whole shot.

If you can sort this out, then it will sing.

You're quite right Les. That halo around the monument bugs me too. I guessed it was just me being super picky, as nobody else I've shown the photo to has mentioned it, but then few of them are photographers.
I did a fair bit of PP so I may have to start at the beginning again!
Thanks for your input :)

I was loving it right up until I noticed the halo

Nice shot ;-) I've lived in Stalybridge all my life and never actually been up there. Have you any more on Flickr?

great shot, but yes the halo needs sorting. would love to see it without!

Does this look better? Hope so, I spent ages trying to fix it. Incidentally, I'm sure it loses saturation after uploading to Flickr :(

Nice shot ;-) I've lived in Stalybridge all my life and never actually been up there. Have you any more on Flickr?

Hi, I live on the Stalybridge/Ashton border and been up there many times! I don't have any more photos of Hartshead Pike though, sorry :)

I cant see the original but the edited one looks good to me! Great light and tones!

Better, but still slightly noticeable, how did it get there in the first place, was it when you were trying to bring out the shadow detail in the building?

Yes, I used a feathered brush the first time, but a hard-edged one for the edit to make sure there was no overlap of the edge of the tower. I don't know why there's a halo still visible. Perhaps it's an illusion? :D

I cant see the original but the edited one looks good to me! Great light and tones!

Whoops, sorry! I deleted the first image from Flickr, forgetting it would break the link. Thanks for your comment Mank :)

Stunning image. Very familiar with the area and have taken a few from up there lookin over to Oldham and Manchester.
This is by far one of the best I have seen of the Pike.

Gaz

Stunning image. Very familiar with the area and have taken a few from up there lookin over to Oldham and Manchester.
This is by far one of the best I have seen of the Pike.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz :) It's a shame that the image appears less saturated on here (hosted on Flickr) than it does in Photoshop :(

Edit: It's not Flickr. Just compared the image in Photoshop to the same image in my image viewer (FastStone) and it has lost saturation! Anyone got any idea why this might be?

Last edited:
Looks great on my Tv which is what I use as a pc.
Just enough colour for my liking eg: enough to make the whole image pop and not to much where the viewer just thinks thats a great image but them colours have been tinkered with as they would not exist in the real world.

Gaz

Back