Harvestman on a housebrick (Phalangium opilio)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I actually have 4 or 5 decent shots from various angles of this young harvestman.

The harvestman is very distinctive with a round, compact body and extremely long legs. Although it looks like a long-legged spider, it isn?t one. It is one of the Opilones, a group of arachnids closely related to spiders. Unlike the spiders, it has no silk glands so is not able to spin a web. It does not have fangs and does not produce venom.It catches its insect prey by using hooks on the ends of its legs. These arachnids defend themselves by secreting a foul-smelling fluid. If they are caught, they are able to shed a leg to escape.

Anyway, this one is on a housebrick and I had to turn the brick around a few times to keep the bugger in view. Trust me, with legs as long as these, they can shift at a hell of a rate...

This is the first one. Ringflash used.

Opinions and C&C as always encouraged.

Exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 450D
Image Date: 2009:06:19 22:35:56
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 105.0mm
CCD Width: 4.18mm
Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)
Aperture: f/9.0
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

800harvest3.jpg

800harvest6.jpg

800harvest4.jpg

800harvest1.jpg

800harvest5.jpg

Paul.

What an interesting creature - thanks for the description!

I think the third is the best photograph. The spindly nature of the creature and the slightly distracting nature of the background makes it difficult to get good subject seperation. The third shot is really nicely seperated & the last one is almost as good, but the thread running under the bug slightly detracts. Not much you could do about the thread, I guess, but the fifth would have been my favourite without it!!

Hope this helps

Phil

Thanks Phil.

The threads are small grasses and such growing on the surface of the brick.

Paul.

Yeah - It's difficult to know what to do about them! I guess wait until it happens to be in a position where they are unobtrusive. You did well getting the shots anyway - looks like a swift-moving minibeast!

Back