Has anyone bought a camera from Comet ?

Edit My Images
Yes
I`m looking at possibly buying a bridge camera from comet, they have the best price anywhere for the model i`m after. Has anyone had any experience with them, what are they like to deal with as a company etc ?

I dont mean this to sound rude but what exactly is it your looking for here?
Comet is one of the biggest electrical retailers in Britain so you must know what you are getting for your money with them by now.
If its technical advice then I cant think you are going to get much help as they are jack of all types i.e know bits about everything but not a lot of one thing.

Mod edit: useless post removed

was jsut a little bit of fun, is it forbidden on this forum ?

I`m looking at possibly buying a bridge camera from comet, they have the best price anywhere for the model i`m after. Has anyone had any experience with them, what are they like to deal with as a company etc ?

They used to be dire for trying to get service/warranty work done, but probably ok nowadays

They used to be dire for trying to get service/warranty work done, but probably ok nowadays

Thanks, thats exactly the type of info i was after. You hear of some retailers like Currys/Dixons being a right nightmare when it comes to aftercare with things like tv`s that may have arrived damaged or not working etc then they palm you off with a repair at mastercare instead of replacing like for like which is brand new for brand new. This is why i was asking about Comet if anyone had had any positive or negative experiences with them.

Well on the sales front they usually don't know anything more than whats on the box.

But in terms of warrenty claims, they'll be spot on. Unlike a cam shop who would scrupilise and argue over every last thing (even though it doesn't come from their pocket) they just say 'yeah OK' and fill in the form to send it off/replace it.

once had a string of 3 compacts over 2years from comet, when something went wrong with it, took it in, they send it away to be repaired (because older than xmonths) comes back fixed, but looking like it was opened with a hacksaw, so they instantly refunded full asking price or offered credit for a similar compact.

Really nothing to worry about with them, and if the price/product is right, by all means get it.

play nice guys :)

Well on the sales front they usually don't know anything more than whats on the box.

But in terms of warrenty claims, they'll be spot on. Unlike a cam shop who would scrupilise and argue over every last thing (even though it doesn't come from their pocket) they just say 'yeah OK' and fill in the form to send it off/replace it.

once had a string of 3 compacts over 2years from comet, when something went wrong with it, took it in, they send it away to be repaired (because older than xmonths) comes back fixed, but looking like it was opened with a hacksaw, so they instantly refunded full asking price or offered credit for a similar compact.

Really nothing to worry about with them, and if the price/product is right, by all means get it.

Again, thanks for your input. They seem to be safe enough then (y)

I bought my first DSLR (nikon d50) from comet, was a great deal as I managed to get about £80 off as it was a display model.

Go for it if the price is right, I've never had problems taking faulty stuff back.

With regard to service / warrenty etc, our washing machine developed a minor fault when it was 7 months old, phoned Hotpoint and they asked where I had bought it from - if it was from Comet (I think it was Comet, not Curry's) then I would have to deal with them for the repair, as it wasn't, Hotpoint sent out their own engineer, who upon speaking to him, wasn't giving much praise for Comets service department.

I know this isn't exactly a Camera, but certainly made me think twice about where to buy something from (y)

I use comet for quite a few things as I now get 5% cashback. Only last week I had to take back a faulty ipod/iphone speaker thingy wotsit and my fears about having a battle with the store were completely unfounded. A replacement was sorted in 2 or 3 minutes. Excellent service.

i bought a top-end lcd from them last july. in march of this year it developed a 'minor' fault. within 3 days they had someone round to inspect it, and deemed it 'BER' (beyond economical repair). I got a voucher in the post the next day for the equivelent amount to spend in store, and because the model I had was no longer available, and the replacement was £150 more, they gave me a £75 discount.

I bought a computer a few weeks ago and it came with a faulty mouse. I took the mouse back next day, they said they wanted to send it back! After a few polite but firm words they eventually opened another box and replaced it there and then.

I prefere Comet to Curry's as they do seem to be a little fairer when it comes to any problems IMO.
Mike

I bought my 70-300mmVR from curry's online as it was much cheaper than anywhere else. Standard delivery was 3-5 working days and turned up the next morning. They sent me an email asking for feedback on their service. I was rather surprised at how good the service was actually. I didn't have any problems for them to sort out though, to be fair.

I bought a Printer from them a couple of months ago, asked if they did price mathing, he said "yes, how much have you seen it for and from where", I told him and he reduced the price without even checking. Now thats service.:)

I bought a compact from them about a year ago, used it for about a week and decided the image quality was cr*p. Took it back to the store and got a full refund with no problems.

I have found Comet good to deal with.

They are a pain with trying to push extended warranties, but apart from that no problem.
Bought all sorts of electrical goods from them. Only one to go wrong was a VCR and there tech came to the house to repair it.

Back