Has anyone completed the Photography Institute online course?

I just enrolled too, Its a scarily BIG box that gets delivered!!
This soft southerner digs scuffed deals :)
Have you been online to look at your course?

My tutor is Michael Taylor
........ Eyes down for the 1st round!!

He's also my tutor!.....the box arrived yesterday, two ring binders and a folder of bumf. It'll take me a week to read through it and be ready to start an assignment.....

Can somebody explain to me how to set up using flickr so my tutor can view my photos instead of me emailing them off. I've not been on flickr very long And it seems a bit confusing. Thanks, thumbs :)

Its been a while since I contributed to this thread but I have been a tad busy.

I am just about to finish the course, just two modules left to complete. To those of you who have just started, good luck. Work hard and put some thought into it and you will get a lot out of it.

When I signed up for the course I was a tad worried, mainly about the cost and whether I could recoup it through photography. Well, I have made the money back and am yet to finish the course, something I couldn't see happening to be honest.

It really has worked for me.

If you are thinking of starting the course and you can spare the cash then go for it. I am happy, very happy I went through with it.

Can somebody explain to me how to set up using flickr so my tutor can view my photos instead of me emailing them off. I've not been on flickr very long And it seems a bit confusing. Thanks, thumbs :)

I found that creating a blog through my gmail account was the easiest way to submit my work. I wrote all my work and posted all the image into the blog then just sent a link to my tutor. We both found this worked extremely well. All the written work and all the images in one place.

If you don't have a gmail account just open one. Its free and easy to set up and its a good record of all your course work for future reference.

Quaker said:
Its been a while since I contributed to this thread but I have been a tad busy.

I am just about to finish the course, just two modules left to complete. To those of you who have just started, good luck. Work hard and put some thought into it and you will get a lot out of it.

When I signed up for the course I was a tad worried, mainly about the cost and whether I could recoup it through photography. Well, I have made the money back and am yet to finish the course, something I couldn't see happening to be honest.

It really has worked for me.

If you are thinking of starting the course and you can spare the cash then go for it. I am happy, very happy I went through with it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and also thanks for the tip on the gmail account it think I'll give that a shot. I've just had my first assignment back, A+, really happy and I got some good feedback as well that I'm happy with. Onwards and upwards :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement and also thanks for the tip on the gmail account it think I'll give that a shot. I've just had my first assignment back, A+, really happy and I got some good feedback as well that I'm happy with. Onwards and upwards :)

Good for you Ian.

I started the course last October and my aim was to take no more than 18 months. Its taken me 12 which is great. I went through a bit of a slump when I hit module 14, it was the most difficult one for me. But I have managed to complete it and after showing a few folk my images from the course I have got myself a couple of wedding bookings!

Keep plodding on and try do dedicate one weekend a month to get out there with your camera.

Out of all the modules, i liked the landscape one the best. I learned so much!

Quaker said:
Good for you Ian.

I started the course last October and my aim was to take no more than 18 months. Its taken me 12 which is great. I went through a bit of a slump when I hit module 14, it was the most difficult one for me. But I have managed to complete it and after showing a few folk my images from the course I have got myself a couple of wedding bookings!

Keep plodding on and try do dedicate one weekend a month to get out there with your camera.

Out of all the modules, i liked the landscape one the best. I learned so much!

That's great to know as that's where I'm hoping to learn as much as possible as landscape photography is the road I want to go down in the near future over the rest

I've jumped about a bit as I didn't get as much done in Aug/Sep as had hoped but had my portrait session for that assignment lined up already so I did that module. I'm going to complete the wedding modules next as I shot my first wedding (for friends) on Friday, then go back and do the bits I missed!

finally got my assignment 3 photos sorted, just need to do the write up and send it off!! only taken two months :bang:

.. looking back i should really have cracked on with a different module whilst waiting to find a subject for no.3 but i really want to do the course in the order its set out.

looking back i should really have cracked on with a different module whilst waiting to find a subject for no.3 but i really want to do the course in the order its set out.
Glad you found a subject for no 3. I think its best to do it in order. I only jumped ahead a bit because I had agreed to shoot a wedding and had a portrait session already lined up as practice for that. Both were ideal for the assignments - (I had asked prior to enrolling if it was ok to change the order a bit to fit those in as I thought I might not get through all the preceeding modules in time, though I did try!)

I still have to select my wedding images and write up and submit for that assignment, then I'd better go back and get the other ones done!

Anyone else making progress or stalled a bit along the way?

Hi,

Really interested in this course. I was wondering though, do you get access to the discounted student versions of software such as photoshop etc?

If so it would make to course fee well worth paying!

Hi,

Really interested in this course. I was wondering though, do you get access to the discounted student versions of software such as photoshop etc?

If so it would make to course fee well worth paying!

Yes, you qualify for a student card.

I have Just about finished the course, (been saying that for ages!) now I am just dotting the i's and crossing the t's. I have found that when I got to the latter stages I found myself with less time as I have a steady stream of work coming in which takes up most of my weekends and as its money, the coursework seems to get pushed to one side. Never in a million years did I expect to be in this position when I started the course.

I have to write up my final module but the next few weekends are booked up.!!

As for completing the modules out of sync, I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially when you are midway. You are hardly going to shoot Summer Fashion in the winter unless you have a nice studio.

Good luck everyone.

Yes, you qualify for a student card.

Thanks for that, that's ideal. Well one of the "last 4" ;) scuffed courses is coming my way!

This thread has been really useful as means of getting actual user feedback on the course. I just can't wait for my copy to arrive now!

Well a rather large box arrived this afternoon, I've already read though bits and pieces through the online portal which seems very useful.

Planning on sitting down on Saturday morning with a large cup of coffee and making a proper start.

I'm seriously considering ordering the scuffed course and feel a lot more confident about it after reading this thread but I am a complete novice. I do a lot of messing around with a Nikon d40 but dont really know anything about the technical side of it, just hope I will be able to pick it up ok...

scuffed course can you do 5 payments like the full course, or is it in full ?

hmm this course or new lens

Just signed up to the course and have received the documents. Have completed the first written assignment and now looking to make a start of the first photographic assignment. Have a subject in mind (farrier at local stables)

Just signed up to the course and have received the documents. Have completed the first written assignment and now looking to make a start of the first photographic assignment. Have a subject in mind (farrier at local stables)
Oh that would be a great subject! I'd love to do a shoot with a farrier. Hot shoeing? We had one that could come to the stables and cold shoe, but many times I would ride into the next town where I could get really well fitted shoes.

Did anyone that got the "scuffed" course find any wear or tear at all with their stuff?

I am quite sure mine hasn't been even been flicked through

Did anyone that got the "scuffed" course find any wear or tear at all with their stuff?

Mine were perfect....it's probably just a marketing ploy. Be grateful!!

Well got my stuff through at the end of last week. Just not had time to sit and look through it yet. Good to see there are some other people currently going through the course.

This course sounds really interesting, I need to start saving for it and for a good camera

Is this like the new york course my father did one years ago seemed then outdated , is this course upto date with a modern layout & content ?
Has anyone got a set they have completed & no longer use up for sale , so I can view the layout & content before I make up my mind ?

Last edited:
Is this like the new york course my father did one years ago seemed then outdated , is this course upto date with a modern layout & content ?
Has anyone got a set they have completed & no longer use up for sale , so I can view the layout & content before I make up my mind ?

Yep, I will sell you mine for £500 :)

Yep, mine was unused looking, think it is a marketing tactic too but am not complaining!

You can download a sample part of a module from their site to see what its like. Bear in mind too that the course material is only part of the value of the course - its the assignments and tutor feedback that help you learn and develop your skills.

You can download a sample part of a module from their site to see what its like. Bear in mind too that the course material is only part of the value of the course - its the assignments and tutor feedback that help you learn and develop your skills.

Yes I understand this .
I'm trying to find out if it's as outdated as the New York photography course which my father did around 5yrs ago. All the modules was from the early 80's with all the course books aswell .
Is this course upto date & the books/folders do they feel current for todays market ?

Have completed the first two photographic assignments and got reasonable marks....now waiting for the weather to improve so I can take some "tourism" photos!

Found the first few modules to be rather simplistic but still learning things from them.

Assignments are certainly making me think more about my photography.

Have completed the first two photographic assignments and got reasonable marks....now waiting for the weather to improve so I can take some "tourism" photos!

Found the first few modules to be rather simplistic but still learning things from them.

Can I throw something at you?

Why wait for the weather to complete the tourism module?

The course is an introduction to professional photography. As a pro photographer you have to get out there and earn a living. If the weather is bad, work around it. Tourism is fast becoming an all year round subject therefore my advice is get out there and don't let the weather dictate your work.

Can I throw something at you?

Why wait for the weather to complete the tourism module?

The course is an introduction to professional photography. As a pro photographer you have to get out there and earn a living. If the weather is bad, work around it. Tourism is fast becoming an all year round subject therefore my advice is get out there and don't let the weather dictate your work.

Of course you can throw this at me.......where I live it has been foggy for the past week and visibility has been non-existent. Started off foggy this morning but has turned into a really nice day so have been out with the camera to make a start on the assignment. I really do not think that anybody would like tourism photos taken in fog. If the weather continues to be like today, then I hope to make good inroads into this assignment.

That's what I'm finding. There is plenty of info available on photography all over the web and in books, but having to do assignments, and have them marked with feedback, is where I'm finding the benefits of the course.

Submitted my wedding assignment, now have to go back and do a few I skipped over.

Back