Has anyone dealt with this company

Edit My Images
Yes
I am talking about MW Classic Cameras of 115 Coventry Road, Bethnal Green. I am looking for a strap to fit a Rolliecord Vb and they seem to be quite rare except on the website of that company. They have about 5-6 of the same type. However from the reviews of their service on the website, and there must be close on 75-80, Most have unfavourable comments about equipment not being ** as described, equipment not arriving after several weeks, but the majority are about phone calls/emails not answered and poor service. I doubt if I will be using them. (**The worst for me was a Leica R5 with an attached motor-drive where the batteries had burst open and badly corroded the inside, but then when he went to look through the viewfinder the focussing screen was missing!)

However this reminds me of the attitude of a company that used to exist and trade from a shop in Camden High Street (Not far from Camden town Underground station) which I 'phoned enquiring about a Nikon 20mm F2.8 and was met with a similar attitude and was told they don't have the time to answer my questions, and put the phone down. I wonder if they are one and the same after doing a moonlight flit? This Camden company was closed/went out of business sometime before 2010. In fact it seemed to vanish overnight.

Last edited:
I've dealt with them a few times.

So far as I am aware, they are nothing to do with the denizen of Camden Town who was, shall we say, unusual in his trading practices.

They can be a bit lax about delivery times but they have always come through in the end. The only major problem I had wasn't really their fault. A Rollei I bought from them had a shutter problem and they were happy to repair it. Unfortunately, Royal Mail lost the camera, which had been sent Special Delivery, on its return journey. There was no question that MW had sent the camera correctly. Royal Mail confirmed the package had been sent on the day but then it had wandered off. The camera showed up, several weeks late, on the day after Royal Mail had agreed the compensation!

The camera served me well for several years thereafter

Leica and Rollei from right.jpg

I've had dealings with MW Classics, a couple of times they sent the wrong item and the final straw was when I ordered a 135mm Canon rangefinder lens which never arrived. I emailed to no effect and my phone calls were just met with excuses and them saying they would sort it out. That was at least three years ago and I have no intention of doing business with them again despite the fact they have lots of intseresting stock. I've given up on the lens which fortunately wasn't expensive.

The Camden shop is Nicholas Cameras, they still seem to be trading (https://nicholascameras.com/). I once went into the shop when I worked in Camden, it wasn't a pleasant experience, it was a dump for one thing and they were very rude.

Half used them. Items ordered, item never arrived, emails ignored. Company now ignored.

I've bought a few things from them over the years, sometimes they need prodding for postage but I've found them reliable. Last thing I bought from them was an Olympus XA and before that I bought a Leitz lens hood for my 50 and a Bay 2 hood for my Rolleiflex 3.5F. I didn't want to pay for shipping on such small items so I popped down and picked it up in person.

I've recently dealt with Nicholas Cameras and they were pretty friendly and eager to help as well.

The Camden shop is Nicholas Cameras, they still seem to be trading (https://nicholascameras.com/). I once went into the shop when I worked in Camden, it wasn't a pleasant experience, it was a dump for one thing and they were very rude.
They must have the same business plan as Nicholas cameras because when I phoned them they were rude and gave the impression that I was a nuisance not a customer that was prepared to spend money

The negative comments are pretty well on par with the ones shown on their website. As for the positive ones, there are not enough to compare!

There are camera shops here in the states I see and sometimes consider but what's normal is for me to buy stuff from company's I've used and get along with. I don't think any shop has a lockup on the market!

I've used them a lot over the past 15 years and picked up some real bargains, but I always collect.

And MW Classic is not really a "they" anymore, it is pretty much one guy and the premises are in such disarray I'm surprised he can find anything.

I don't think Dave is crooked or a scammer but he is disorganised and his customer service leaves a lot to be desired, If you do decide purchase then go and collect if you can, and just because it's on the website it doesn't mean he can find it so always check first.

I will continue to use MW Classic but I do understand other's reticence.

I've used them a lot over the past 15 years and picked up some real bargains, but I always collect.

And MW Classic is not really a "they" anymore, it is pretty much one guy and the premises are in such disarray I'm surprised he can find anything.

I don't think Dave is crooked or a scammer but he is disorganised and his customer service leaves a lot to be desired, If you do decide purchase then go and collect if you can, and just because it's on the website it doesn't mean he can find it so always check first.

I will continue to use MW Classic but I do understand other's reticence.
I live too far away to make a trip to pick an item up so probably won't use them. I have found a strap for my Rolliecord at half the price they were asking so I won't be bothering them soon.

Back