Has anyone ever used (Company) Smick?

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to get this: http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/background-support/prod_381.html from them, but havn't bought from them before.

I was gonna buy from elemental, but I couldnt get in before the VAT increase at the cost of it has gone out of budget a little bit now :( If I didn't need these so soon, and was therefore able to save up until after my next job, I'd be OK, but I really can't push the cost any further than £80/£85 at a SERIOUS push (inc P+P)

Vistarex Ltd (trading as Smick Trading) appear to be a small, fairly clean, family run business. Two Directors, the hubby has a string of failed businesses but they appear to be unrelated to this type of business.

I've never used them but no problems problems pop out from looking at their credit file and there's no CCJ's registered. I think you'll be fine using them unless someone else has a horror story to tell? lol

Their Ebay rating also appears pretty damn good although not 100% clean like Elemental but I don't think 1 out of 8K is a problem for Smick!

There's some mention of them on these forums also.

Off topic, what happens if someone comes to you wanting their Dachshund photographed? :naughty:

Oooh, very informative, thank you! :D
Will just read the comment of them from here, thanks for that too!

Erm. I'll photograph it/them :LOL:
t'will be a short, shortdog ;)

No worries about info.

Why did you choose the name shortdog if you don't mind me asking? Does it put off people who have long dogs? In fact, what is classed as a long dog? lol

ShortDog
I am widley known as Shorty, many people know me as this name rather than my real one (Leanne) and 'shorty photography' was just rubbish. ShortDog seemed like the obvious choice really, I like it (ish)!

I've not found it hinder me much, no. However a lot of my clients(at this precise moment!) have been people that have either:
met me through forums
that are already clients of mine (pet sitter)
via the internet where they'd look at my gallery and see it's not at all just small dogs!

Long Dog = 2 sighthound breeds crossed.
i.e Greyhound x Saluki
Greyhound x Deerhound
etc etc.

I had a colleague in London who was called shorty. Can't remember where she lived, was near to Walthamstow. My own dog would probably be quite short except for his tail - bloody flag pole but damn handy to spot when he's off in the bushes! lol

Ironically.....there's a cat in your avatar! lol

I had a colleague in London who was called shorty. Can't remember where she lived, was near to Walthamstow. My own dog would probably be quite short except for his tail - bloody flag pole but damn handy to spot when he's off in the bushes! lol

Ironically.....there's a cat in your avatar! lol
:LOL::LOL:
Yes, we don't have a dog anymore for the moment, just cats :p

I have used them before with nothing but great service, products are the lower end of the quality chain but OK.

ah, I;d like quality to be pretty tough reallly as I dont want to be replacing anytime soon! Hmmm

Ive used Smick before, bought a very VERY good tripod from them. Got to be worth a go.

Their Ebay rating also appears pretty damn good although not 100% clean like Elemental but I don't think 1 out of 8K is a problem for Smick!

what has the elemental 100% clean record got to do with smick trading? They could have had negative feedback removed by ebay, they would not be the first shop on ebay to do that :shrug:

I was gonna buy from elemental

what has the elemental 100% clean record got to do with smick trading? They could have had negative feedback removed by ebay, they would not be the first shop on ebay to do that :shrug:

The OP made the initial reference to them. I've quoted it to make it easier for you. :)

The OP made the initial reference to them. I've quoted it to make it easier for you. :)

sarcasm...;)

99% vs 100% id not worry about, price and availability though...:love:

sarcasm...;)

99% vs 100% id not worry about, price and availability though...:love:

Aw shucks, I wasn't meaning to be sarcastic but upon re-reading it....lol They are both appear to be available though?

Leanne, I don't reckon there'll be any issues with the smick one, although the Elemental one does appear to go a little higher and uses air cushioned stands which is handy if setting up on your own.

Have you checked out this Lencarta one which is in budget and is a good system also. I've got it (see my review) and was even using it today! :)

sometimes things appear sarcastic when maybe they didnt mean to be, but please read your posts carefully before replying, just in case

Despite not intended it still wasn't exactly insulting or anything. I feel a little like you are going out your way to have a go at me.

Used Smick for various items with no problems.
Studio flash and sundries all excellent

Gman, I searched lencRArta site, how on earth did I miss it?? Thankyouuu for thelink etc, will do 3way comparison later today, thanks very much!!

And thanks for evreryones feedback!

I have just come across this thread and Gman said in the second post that I have had a string of failed businesses this is not true.

I have been a Director of quite a few companies in the past and the majority
of these have been very successful while I was a Director.

I have been running www.smick.co.uk since 2005 we also sell on ebay and Amazon and have good customer feedback, I don't mind people not liking us but it would be nice not to have this kind of slur.

I have just come across this thread and Gman said in the second post that I have had a string of failed businesses this is not true.

I have been running www.smick.co.uk since 2005 we also sell on ebay and Amazon and have good customer feedback, I don't mind people not liking us but it would be nice not to have this kind of slur.

Since Graham isn't the type to throw wild accusations about, and considering his background/work, I'd imagine that he got his data from a Companies House records check which tends to be tolerably accurate.

For example..

Director of 15 companies, 7 of which fold = the majority successful, but also a string of failed businesses.

Statistics are easy to play with.

Mark is absolutely correct, the information comes from Creditsafe which sources the data from Companies House, The Registry Trust and the London and Edinburgh Gazette.

I stand by what I say, you don't appear to have any previous Directorships but currently have 8 current appointments (x7 Directorships and 1 Company Secretary role). Of these seven companies all but one have dissolved, some of them have no financial information at all (no accounts were submitted so either dormant or not keeping in compliance) and the others have negative net worth (basically they had no liquidity).

Either way, a dissolved company is typically a failed company.

The remaining company (the one in question with this thread) which is still active also has no liquidity but that's not a massive concern for two reaons:

1. You can always make deals and payment plans with your creditors until cash flow improves
2. The accounts aren't bang up to date so things could have improved since they were submitted.

I do not set out to tarnish someone but I do like to provide honest and publically accessible data to people on this site so they can make an educated decision of their own.

According to public records this is a completely false statement because as already mentioned above you never resigned your Directorship. Also, some of them did appear to have some success but then they eventually failed.

I never mentioned your name or any other identifiable information on this board and to be honest I don't think anyone here would have been interested anyway, the important thing is the company in question and is it safe to use them.

I don't mind people not liking us but it would be nice not to have this kind of slur.

I have no idea who you are and have never used your company. Therefore there is no logical reason for me to dislike you. There is no slur from me, it's public information I've used and I never said that you were the cause of the failed companies. The only slur is you saying I dislike you, which is again false because I actually said that it would appear to be fine to use you.

If you insist that what I'm saying is false then I'll happily post up information about each company, financials etc which is all perfectly legal as it's publically accessible information. But to be honest I would rather not. I don't think it's necessary and doesn't prove any point.

No harm or offence intended and I've far too much going on in my life at the moment to start some debate or argument about this. :)

Thanks Graham,

Micso36, Gman often lets people know on here what financial info etc. has been posted on a company, CCJ's etc. snd it is very useful. As he said, smick appears to be running fine.
Graham is also an accountant, so is well aware that a set of posted financials often do not show the full story of a company and are a minimum of 12 months out of date.
Hence he recomended your company.

Even in your post you say "most" companies were a success, not all.

What I would say is that if you stick around on here, you will find a good new source of business, with plenty of people wanting a quality supplier they can trust. So if you fit that gap, and Gman seems to think you do, then you might make a bit of money.

All but one of the dissolved companies were sold or shut down and the accountants advice was to let them default, so that companies house remove them. Maybe I need a new accountant. :bonk:

The most recent companies were successful for 10 years which may not be apparent from the accounts, until Tesco wanted to build on the premises where the businesses were based so a settlement was taken.

The current business has great liquidity and does not have creditors and has never had any sort of bank loan.

Thank lawrie29 maybe I will stick around. :)

Last edited:
does not have creditors

HMR&C are a creditor :naughty: (but I know what you mean ;)).

It's definitely worth sticking around, these forums have great potential for both private individuals and businesses. Hope you haven't taken offence to anything I've said and will appreciate that I'm only looking out for fellow members. :)

Back