Has anyone successfully mounted different lenses on to different bodies?

Name
Wail
Edit My Images
No
I ask this since I have a huge collection of Minolta lenses, from the good old days and was wondering if there was anyone who’s ever mounted different lenses to different bodies (manufacturer-wise).

I don’t particularly mind if I lose all automatic functions, as I am more than happy to use it – if possible – in Manual mode with Manual Focus.

i have an M42 adapter for my 30D, i've mounted a 135 F/2.8 lens i bought for a quid with no problems, obviously everything is manual on it :D

I've googles M42 and came up with a number of sites that sell this but I can't figure out how does that work? Is the M42 only for specific lenses?

yes, different bodies have dfferent mounts, not sure of Minoltas mount though.

aha! Any idea how I may find what mounts Minolta has? Would this be on the lens somehwere?

Think I read somewhere that it depends on how far the front face of the cameras lens mount is from the sensor as to whether adaptors can work. There are lots of adaptors for other makes to mount on Canon bodies as the distance is shallow and that leaves room for a adaptor whilst keeping the lens distance right. Nikon are deeper so you don't get simple adaptors for them. not checked my facts and i could have imagined it all ;)

I'd guess a Sony body might take your lenses?

I'd guess a Sony body might take your lenses?

I like the "simplicity" of this idea, but I don't like the idea of having to buy a special body just to use my "old" lenses ... mind you, with the newer "cheaper" Sony bodies it may be more practical of an approach.

Yup, Sony bought Konica-Minoltas photography division lock, stock and lens-mount.

I did see a compatibility chart at one point, but I can't remember where:) So my obvious answer is - buy a Sony DSLR, they should fit straight on!

Thank you for the feedback ... I was really hoping for a coupler / ring that would fit on the Nikon to make the Minolta lenses fit. Wasn't really looking to get another camera body for this.

As I said earlier, I don't mind loss of all functions just so long that the lenses fit.

You can find a list of compatible minolta lenses to fit sony alpha dslr on the sony uk website.

Thank you all, for the replies ... it seems that my best shot is to go with a "cheap" Sony Alpha body; but I will have to see if I really want to use any of these lenses or should I just get replacement / equivilant lenses for my Nikon bodies? :shrug:

Again, thank you for all the replies :)

Back