Has anyone used Phot-R studio gear?

They re-brand and sell "Good value" Chinese products.

As Garry says really. I have a few bits n bobs from Phot-R - decent enough, good value. But you'll have to go a long way to find a light modifier that's not made in East Asia, most flash units too, including big European brands like Bowens.

Edit: you can't generalise. China has a strong grip on the whole lighting market and products vary from really excellent, through to serviceable quality at keen prices (most), through to rubbish. And you can usually find examples of all standards under any single over-branded label.

Last edited:
Pity you have to sign up to view it....... curiosity got me to click the link, but I'll pass on the signing up bit..... :)
Same here. I wanted to look at the pic to see
1. Whether or not the quality or design of the softbox was relevant to the photo
2. Whether or not an effective honeycomb grid was relevant to it, but I don't want to look at it that much:)

Reactions: TG.
I've got the 100x100 easy fold softbox and a reflector holder they're both fine for low volume use. The actual build of the softbox is pretty good but the interior lining isn't as high quality as some others I've seen but it works well and comes with a usable bag to carry/protect. If your not using it heavily or prepared for the fact down the line you'll probably want or need to replace them they're a great affordable way to get started. That said not convinced I'd trust them for load bearing stuff like background stands without some pretty outstanding references.

This is the image I took with my Phot-R gridded strip box, approx 18 inches above the model.

17652-1485848813-56fcadc1219596eb15d4783596c0bc66.jpg

This is the image I took with my Phot-R gridded strip box, approx 18 inches above the model.

17652-1485848813-56fcadc1219596eb15d4783596c0bc66.jpg
Thanks for posting this - but it's not an image that gives any indication of the value of the honeycomb grid, because at the angle shot, the honeycomb wasn't needed and did nothing.

Grids are for tighter control of the light, allowing it to fall where you want it, but stopping it from spreading or 'spilling' where you don't. Typical examples are back-lighting in portraiture or product shots where the light is behind the subject and pointing in the general direction of the camera. This will cause lens flare and needs to be blocked from the camera, and an easy and effective way of doing that is with a decent grid (4x4x4cm is a good standard) and the light carefully angled so that the subject is properly lit, but the lens is shaded from direct light. They can have other uses too, like feathering the light for a very softly graduated background.

Grids also make the light harder, particularly when used close, as the grid progressively blocks a lot of light towards the edges of the softbox. By the same token, they also eat brightess. Best not to use a grid unless it's actually needed.

I have used the cheap strip boxes. Mainly because they were cheap and a useful size to use in my small space. Reasonable results. IMG_1485987031.613976.jpg
IMG_1485987060.580820.jpg
IMG_1485987105.584247.jpg

IMG_1485987137.485999.jpg

They're fine for the shots I do in my small space at the frequency I use them (they don't get folded down, straight into the loft when done) but if I shot a lot more I'd be spending more for better build quality.

I have Phot-R stands with umbrellas and they are really good. My hot shoe flashes work great with them.

Last edited:
Back