Has anyone used these backdrops?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Think I've still got the Photosel black/white around here somewhere, not really used it much at all but it seemed like the majority of them as in perfectly usable but nothing special, I paid something like £25 (used) so was hard to be critical of it.

Whatever you decide they'll be cheaper if you wait a month for The Photography Show.

and if buying then you want the actual one in the hand to assess the quality

Mike
I'd strongly agree with that. If there isn't enough tension in the metal band, the background is practically useless. And this happens to Lastolite as well. I also don't think the Lastolite is vastly better. If I remember correctly, the loops & fasteners are sewed on in a way, which will eventually cause fabric failure.

In my experience cheaper backgrounds are not made in the same factory, Lastolite are vastly superior, and if buying then you want the actual one in the hand to assess the quality

Mike

Thats my view, it is tempting to see these cheaper ones but I have generally believed 'you get what you pay for', although there can be good quality products at better prices hence the question.

I've not long bought a 2m x 1.5m one from fleabay for £39 and have used it a few times now. Am actually impressed with it. Plenty tension in the ring and it pulls any creases out once left up for about ten minutes. Doesn't feel like it's going to break any time soon...... Maybe the lastolite items are better (how do you define better?), but I'm more than happy with what I got.

I've got a PhotoSel one and a couple of Lastolite jobbies and the Lastolite jobbies are way better made. They have a much thicker steel band, better more even tension and more substantial material. Whether that actually translates into lasting longer is yet to be seen.

I haven't used it but I have photographed it, for the seller, which means that I put it through hell. The seller is also the actual manufacturer, and they make many of the backgrounds of this type. But they have a competitor nearby who copy everything that they do, badly, and sell them for a bit less, which means that most of the ones that look the same are in fact inferior.

Just as an fyi if anyone's interested - a few USP's for the Lastolite collapsible backgrounds which makes them a little pricier than your china imports - The steel rims are guaranteed for life. The size of the background dictates the size of the steeling that's to be used to ensure that they pop open and keep the fabric as taut as possible. The clips that are used are top notch and rarely fail, but if they do, again, your guarantee covers you. The rim tape is also of a high standard, ensuring longevity of the product, and also double stitched. The fabrics that are chosen for the backgrounds have been chosen specifically for photographic background usage and go through rigorous testing to ensure the best results. You'd think a black velvet background was just any black velvet, I can assure you it's not. And they're made here in the UK, Ashby to be exact. And I know this for fact as I used to work for them...

Back