Critique Has been a while since my last post, more feedback welcome for improvment and development

Name
Benson
Edit My Images
No
Recent change in my day job allows me to have more time for photography :banana:, I have done a lot of research and watch a lot of you tube videos on studio lighting etc. Slowly and painfully, I am learning. Form my own mistakes and other photographer feedback, I am getting more and more confident, working with models no longer a stress but an enjoyable experience. I find that I have no problem getting TFP models but I would love to know more about photography as a business? I will never give up my day job but I need to start to justify my upgrade and purchases. I now starting to find the limits of my equipment, yes you can make a beautiful picture with what you have to hand but I found feels that if I have better equipment I will not need to spend so much time fiddling and fixing but more time on creating and enjoying the process.

Anyway, here are the recent shots, feel free to comment :exit:

View attachment 92215 IMG_0988a.jpg View attachment 92217

I think the composition of one is a bit off, the red nail is distracting and the gold watch/bracelet could have been taken off? Light looks a tad blown but overall a nice light.

Two is very well lit just looks like the model is a little uncomfortable in the shot - I'm sure a head and shoulders shot may have worked better and a crop will improve this rather than a 3/4 portrait.

Three i find the reflection of the clothing is making half the hair look red maybe the back light needed raising here. I do love the way the eyes are in this shot

I think the composition of one is a bit off, the red nail is distracting and the gold watch/bracelet could have been taken off? Light looks a tad blown but overall a nice light.

Two is very well lit just looks like the model is a little uncomfortable in the shot - I'm sure a head and shoulders shot may have worked better and a crop will improve this rather than a 3/4 portrait.

Three i find the reflection of the clothing is making half the hair look red maybe the back light needed raising here. I do love the way the eyes are in this shot

Thanks so much, the first picture is of a model with a bit of experience, I have softbox right above her face and 2 flash gun lighting the background. I have just finished shooting with black background and switched to white. I did not re adjust the lighting and just keep shooting. I lost the details on the white part of the top which I am really disappointed. I am thinking of investing in a light meter, I guess I can do away with not having one but life will be so much more easier with one, expecially with a trigger which can adjust the light output etc. Now you mentioned the watch and red nail it sticks out everytime I look at the picture :)

All three model are TFP, the first one have some experience and the 2nd and third have non. I must find a way to get to "get through" to the model and put them at ease, or I just have to shoot paid models which I have yet done so.

The 3trd model hair is indeed red, but her hair line is blond-ish with new hair growing from scalp. I have edited the root colour but everytime I try to colour match the rest of the hair it just stand out even more....I end up using the burning tool.

An incident light meter for flash is a must you've done well without one! Keep them coming!

These are pretty good!

The pose and tight crop in the first are not quite there.

Really like the second but my eye was drawn to the crease in the backdrop. I think this image needs to be cropped a bit. A full length version of this shot would have been great.

Really like the third. Nicely lit and love the eye contact/expression. Might have been better to keep the hand out of the frame as its a bit hot and (for me) slightly distracting. The hair camera left melts into the background. A reflector/hairlight would really lift this image.

Ta

S

Back