Hasselblad 45 deg Prisim finder question

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Guys
I want to buy a 45 deg Prism finder for my 503 CW Hasselblad. I don't want to buy twice so should I go for the PM or the PME and 3 or 5 and if so why should I pick xyz??
Thanks
Neil

LOL I was wondering how you'd get on with the left-right reversed viewfinder of the old classic Hasselblad. Great fun aren't they?!

Doesn't the PME version have a build-in meter? I can't think you'd need that, or that it would be particularly accurate, but are there not other (later?) versions of the 45 viewfinder? And also compatible versions from the likes of Kiev?

Maybe post in the film section?

Yea mate I have just asked over there. I am on a Rig so I haven't even tried it yet but from reading up they are supposed to help with focusing
Thanks

It might just be me but if you've never used a 45 prism, it might be an idea to have a go with one before you buy.
I couldn't get on with it at all, it felt awkward, half way between a straight one and a wlf, neither one nor the other, I was the same with a chimney.
Its not much of a problem in a studio setting when you have set up time on a stand or tripod but out in the field on the hoof a 45 felt like a bit of a fight to use.

Cant give you an opinion on the Hasselblad PME versions, I use a plain (unmetered) Kiev 45deg - it fits perfectly and was considerably cheaper.
I find the 45deg to be easy to use and focus out and about compared to the WLF, which even with a 'bright' screen is a bit dim for focussing without the magnifier - its also more natural to use than the 90deg finder I have on my Mamiya 645.
As Joxby says if you can try before you buy...

It might just be me but if you've never used a 45 prism, it might be an idea to have a go with one before you buy.
I couldn't get on with it at all, it felt awkward, half way between a straight one and a wlf, neither one nor the other, I was the same with a chimney.
Its not much of a problem in a studio setting when you have set up time on a stand or tripod but out in the field on the hoof a 45 felt like a bit of a fight to use.

I agree about the 45 degree prisms. I never know whether to use them like an eye-level prism or a waist level finder and am always getting my directions reversed with it, which is not a problem I have with the eye-level or waist level finders.

The large, bright views of waist level finders are really unbeatable in my experience, especially for handheld use.

I find the 45deg to be easy to use and focus out and about compared to the WLF, which even with a 'bright' screen is a bit dim for focussing without the magnifier

I'm quite curious about this. As far as I'm aware, physics would dictate that there's no way that any prism can be as bright as a waist level finder because the additional reflections in the prisms cause light loss and a loss of magnification.

I'm thinking that the prism might just look brighter because it completely blocks stray light at all times. That's not necessarily a knock though, as blocking stray light can really make a difference for focusing and composition.

For what it's worth, I have the newer Hasselblad acute matte screen that I use with a waist level finder and together they're the brightest combination by far that I've ever seen in any camera ever. Unfortunately, as I've learned, screen brightness doesn't necessarily result in easier focusing, but it can be really great for composing.

Ultimately, all of these viewfinders have their place. It's just about matching them to your needs and situation.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the PM5. I want this for studio work with camera on tripod, I prefer to use a meter in the studio. Out walkabout I will use the it the conventional way looking down from the top :)

I ended up getting the PM5. I want this for studio work with camera on tripod, I prefer to use a meter in the studio. Out walkabout I will use the it the conventional way looking down from the top :)

Good choice.

Back