Hasselblad 503cw..Do I need to set the ISO on it when shooting film?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Hasselblad 503Cw. I was wondering if I really need to set the ISO when shooting film. The reason I ask is that my friend has a 500 and there is no ISO button. You just load the film set the aperture and shutter speed and shoot. Can anybody shed any light on this matter?

Thanks in advance

You need to set the ISO to match the film speed, otherwise how do you select shutter / aperture ?

(assuming this has a built in meter) ????

If no built in meter, you will need to set the ISO (of the film) in whatever you are using to meter light levels.

I select shutter and aperture by using a hand held meter and then set this on the lens. These Hasselblads do not have any built in metering system

Hasselblad 501CM, 503CX and 503CW all have TTL flash capability and the ISO setting on the camera is only for use with it.

If you have a metering prism then the ISO setting will be on the prism.

I select shutter and aperture by using a hand held meter and then set this on the lens. These Hasselblads do not have any built in metering system

True in the case of the 503CW but not in the case of the 205TCC (tone & contrast control) which has a built in spotmeter and also has auto exposure modes.

How does TTL flash work if there's no metering in the camera on these things?

How does TTL flash work if there's no metering in the camera on these things?

It has a flash sensor in the floor of the mirror box aimed back at the film, when the sensor 'sees' enough light it turns off the flash. It actually uses TTL OTF rather than just TTL. The important bit is to set the ISO correctly on the body when using the flash.

The good thing is you can pick up a Hasselblad (Metz) Proflash 4504 (45CL4) quite cheaply now. I paid about £160 for a Band New Nicad One.

Hasselblad 501CM, 503CX and 503CW all have TTL flash capability and the ISO setting on the camera is only for use with it.

If you have a metering prism then the ISO setting will be on the prism.
I'd be chuffed to little apples if that were true Ed , but I don't think so in the case of the 501CM? There's no ISO setting on the body either.

My apologies, I thought it had.

Bought some bits for my Blads today, just need a viewfinder cover now.

My apologies, I thought it had.

Bought some bits for my Blads today, just need a viewfinder cover now.
Come on - what bits, you can't just drop out tit bits of info like that! :D

Which blad bodies do you have Ed?

Spent £100 on my Blads today, bought a mint focusing handle No1 £15, a New Rapid Winding Crank £15, Hasselblad Dual Cable Release £20 & a very nice Black WLF for my Black 500CM (which came with a PME-5 prism)

My Hasselblad Outfit:

500CM Black WLF, 503CX Chrome WLF, 50mm Distagon C T*, 80mm Planar C T*, 150mm Sonnar C T* & 250mm Sonnar C T* lenses (all black), PME-5 Prism, 10mm, 21mm & 55mm Extension tubes, 2x Black A12, 1x Black A16 (6x4.5), 1x Chrome A12 & 2x Chrome A16 (6x4.5). 2x Hasselblad Tripod mounts and a Hasselblad spirit level. Hasselblad Proflash Outfit 4504.

Just need a cover for the base of the Prism finder now if you come across one.

I might take a piccie of it all later as the first picture on my new 5DMk2.

Last edited:
Spent £100 on my Blads today, bought a mint focusing handle No1 £15, a New Rapid Winding Crank £15, Hasselblad Dual Cable Release £20 & a very nice Black WLF for my Black 500CM (which came with a PME-5 prism)

My Hasselblad Outfit:

500CM Black WLF, 503CX Chrome WLF, 50mm Distagon C T*, 80mm Planar C T*, 150mm Sonnar C T* & 250mm Sonnar C T* lenses (all black), PME-5 Prism, 10mm, 21mm & 55mm Extension tubes, 2x Black A12, 1x Black A16 (6x4.5), 1x Chrome A12 & 2x Chrome A16 (6x4.5). 2x Hasselblad Tripod mounts and a Hasselblad spirit level. Hasselblad Proflash Outfit 4504.

Just need a cover for the base of the Prism finder now if you come across one.,

Mmmmm.... Nice. What's the dual release for - auto bellows? :thinking:.

Don't have a spare prism cover Ed, but I'll swap you mine for your 50mm Distagon.:D

I might take a piccie of it all later as the first picture on my new 5DMk2.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
There.s a nice set of blad bellows and blad macro lens on eBay. ;)

There.s a nice set of blad bellows and blad macro lens on eBay. ;)

Not for me at the moment I'm afraid.

Not the best image, but number 1 on my new camera.

Bladkit1.jpg

Imagine what that lot would have cost in the 80s :LOL:

A brand new A12 back will still set you back £600 today!:D

Back