Hasselblad bought out by DJI?

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Just read about this here, not sure how much truth is in it:

https://luminous-landscape.com/hasselblad-acquired-dji/

They obtained the cash needed from DJI and things began to move forward. A lot up to this point was made public as DJI became a minority shareholder in Hasselblad. This happened in November 2015.

Well, let’s skip ahead a year. It’s now January 2017 and Hasselblad is just beginning to deliver the X1D in small quantities. I wrote an article last month about this.

You are probably asking yourself (as I did), why this camera took so long to get out the door? First, designing a camera requires a lot of time and money. Second, the camera has to be tested; after all, it needs to work. Third, firmware, software, and image quality all need to be at a high level. Releasing a camera before it is ready can spell as much trouble (if not more) than releasing it late. It was a no-win.

Hasselblad still needed to stay afloat. The investors wanted their money and they were not willing to contribute any more to this cause. What now?

Simple, the minority shareholder becomes the majority shareholder. DJI now owns the majority share of Hasselblad. You heard me right. This information has come from numerous, reliable sources. Hasselblad, the iconic Swedish camera company, is now owned by the Chinese drone maker DJI. Sooner or later, this will all become public. Maybe now that I am spilling the beans, it will be sooner rather than later. It seems that everyone inside Hasselblad knows about this, as well as some distributors and resellers. You can’t keep something this big a secret for very long, eventually, it is going to get out.

Sounds like good news to me (y)

Why has that article got such a gloomy overtone? Times change, and Hasselblad might just have fallen on its feet. DJI's money is as good as anyone elses.

Sounds like good news to me (y)

Why has that article got such a gloomy overtone? Times change, and Hasselblad might just have fallen on its feet. DJI's money is as good as anyone elses.

A bit of snobbery perhaps?

Who do these upstart Chinese drone makers think they are taking over this iconic Swedish brand? Hasselblad would have been better off going bust...

That's how some people think. You only have to read the derogatory comments about Samsung, Sony or Panasonic cameras and references to computers and toasters to see that snobbery is alive and well.

Sounds like a way forward to me... But Hasselblad are not alone in that market place. Fuji, Leica and Pentax and phase one-Mamiya are also in the medium format field. Fuji might have the larger resources though, and is in many ways more self contained. The problem is... is the market big enough to be splitable between so many providers?

Sounds like a way forward to me... But Hasselblad are not alone in that market place. Fuji, Leica and Pentax and phase one-Mamiya are also in the medium format field. Fuji might have the larger resources though, and is in many ways more self contained. The problem is... is the market big enough to be splitable between so many providers?

Many Fuji Lenses are made in the same factory as Hasselblad lenses, and there looks if there might be quite a bit of co-operation on MF digital cameras as well.

As the markets for cameras gets smaller, manufacturers who have less fingers in other pies are likely to be acquired/merged into other brands, it happens all the time in other markets, the camera manufacturers are no different.

Many Fuji Lenses are made in the same factory as Hasselblad lenses, and there looks if there might be quite a bit of co-operation on MF digital cameras as well.

As the markets for cameras gets smaller, manufacturers who have less fingers in other pies are likely to be acquired/merged into other brands, it happens all the time in other markets, the camera manufacturers are no different.

As Fuji make their design and make their own high end lenses, does that mean they make lenses for Hasselblad?
Fuji HT-EBC lens coating is acknowledged to be the best in the world, with 99.8% transmittance. And used on their Xt lenses. Though it may be licensed to other makers?
Fuji is of course an extremely large industrial company dwarfing canon and nikon combined.

Hasselblad's new XCD lenses for the mirrorless X1D camera are made by Japanese company Nittoh.

Back