Hasselblad (Film) User Group

They are both film.
The one on the right is a 503cw with PME90, D-Flash 40, 80mm CF lens and A16 back.
The winder cw does make it look a bit fat.

Last edited:
The D-Flash is a cheap Sunpack unit re- badged for Hasselblad.
I think it looks really cool and it works well so I have no shame about it.

@ Harlequin565

How are you getting on with your Hasselblad?

@ Harlequin565

How are you getting on with your Hasselblad?
Heh... Completely missed this notification!

I'm getting on "ok" with it. Image quality is lovely - in fact I really like everything about it. The only issues I have are the focus thrown on the 80, and seeing when I've nailed focus. I have to remember to take my distance glasses out with me (which I often forget to do) unless I end up scale focussing. The prism finder is great for portrait work, but again, I have to remember to put my distance glasses on. I never thought I'd get on with the rangefinder patches, but for my eyesight, they make focussing easy-mode. The bellows focus of the RB was much quicker to use (ironically on a heavier, slower to use camera) and find focus with.

I picked up a spare back from Soperfect Images (great service, as described) which was important to me. Now saving up for the 50 and a portrait lens at the moment. Might take a while though as I have a few other non-Hasselblad bits I need to pick up first.

90Heh... Completely missed this notification!

I'm getting on "ok" with it. Image quality is lovely - in fact I really like everything about it. The only issues I have are the focus thrown on the 80, and seeing when I've nailed focus. I have to remember to take my distance glasses out with me (which I often forget to do) unless I end up scale focussing. The prism finder is great for portrait work, but again, I have to remember to put my distance glasses on. I never thought I'd get on with the rangefinder patches, but for my eyesight, they make focussing easy-mode. The bellows focus of the RB was much quicker to use (ironically on a heavier, slower to use camera) and find focus with.

I picked up a spare back from Soperfect Images (great service, as described) which was important to me. Now saving up for the 50 and a portrait lens at the moment. Might take a while though as I have a few other non-Hasselblad bits I need to pick up first.
Good to hear.
I am loving my 150 cfi, by far my sharpest lens with superb bokeh.
You do know that the pme 90 has built in dioptric correction!

Regarding film backs, I use my A16 more than the A12. I still like the format for general work.

Have you looked at the winder cw yet, I use mine all the time.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the winder cw yet, I use mine all the time.
I have. Still thinking about it. I have a Pentax 645n for AF and auto stuff. Prefer the light weight and portability of the 503 so it's low on the list of things to think about at the moment.

Just a quick shoutout to say I replaced the light seals in my A12 back myself and after putting a test roll through the thing, have decided that I actually did a good job!

Saved me a few quid that's for sure.

I did the same Ian, about three years ago. I cut the shield out of old negative and it worked just fine.

Hasselblad repairs anyone?

I tried ClassicV and have had no response from my emails. Just wondering if anyone can recommend anyone else. Lens CLA is what I'm after.
TIA

Hasselblad repairs anyone?

I tried ClassicV and have had no response from my emails. Just wondering if anyone can recommend anyone else. Lens CLA is what I'm after.
TIA
It is possible Jeff is away, I had 2 lenses CLA'd just before my holiday 2 weeks ago so he's definitely still operating. info@classicv.co.uk or 07950 039003

Hmm.. My 1st mail was sent 23rd Feb and the second on 15th March. No replies from either. But that was to enquiries@ rather than info. I'll try that one and see what happens

Hmm.. My 1st mail was sent 23rd Feb and the second on 15th March. No replies from either. But that was to enquiries@ rather than info. I'll try that one and see what happens
I was definitely in contact with him then, he did 2 lenses for me, took him 2-3 weeks and I picked them up on the 18th March.

Time to resurrect this thread again methinks . . . :whistle:

FYI:

My 500C/M came with the original plain ground glass focussing screen and whilst searching for an Acute D (no luck) I found this. I figured (at the price) it was worth a gamble until an Acute D comes along.

I was expecting it to be crap TBH, but I'm seriously impressed with it. It's a slightly tighter fit (i.e. won't 'drop' out), but is really bright and sooooo much easier to focus with my aged eyes.

Time to resurrect this thread again methinks . . . :whistle:

FYI:

My 500C/M came with the original plain ground glass focussing screen and whilst searching for an Acute D (no luck) I found this. I figured (at the price) it was worth a gamble until an Acute D comes along.

I was expecting it to be crap TBH, but I'm seriously impressed with it. It's a slightly tighter fit (i.e. won't 'drop' out), but is really bright and sooooo much easier to focus with my aged eyes.
Good to know it’s worth buying and at that price it’s reasonable value, especially if you compare it to the cost of a genuine acute mat screen. If it was anyone other than N&T then i’d definitely get one of these. Will have to see if I can find an eBay seller.

Reactions: Sky
Will have to see if I can find an eBay seller.

I bought it from the Evil Bay not knowing who was selling it - I should have looked closer I suppose.

Still, I'm chuffed to bits with it for the price of a meal and a pint. :)

I went to RYE East Sussex on a Kirbys Coach Trip from Brentwood . I took my 2002 501CM + 3 lenses + 2 backs + Filters + small Flash + Weston Meter and my HERNIA BELT !!
I used 20004 dated Fuji Provia 100F in an A12 back and 2017 dated Ilford XP" 400 Super in an A16 back. I sent the E6 film to John Salim of Southend-om-Sea the CHEEEPEST E6 processor in UK ! I attach a few snaps
RED FILTER on the Gun at YPRES TOWER
501CM RYE 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Old Building with the 50mm f4 CFi Distagon and Sepia Toned on scan in PhotoShop 7
501CM RYE 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Mermaid Street Sepia Toned - I think it was the 80mm CFE Planar
501CM RYE 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Old Street with 80mm f2.8 CFE Planar
501CM RYE 12 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
The CHURCH with 80mm f2.8 CFE Planar
501CM RYE 14 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Had a Coach Trip to Felixstowe, Suffolk on a grey horrible day but 'did my Best' with my 1978 500CM + A12 back for 2017 dated ILFORD XP2 400 super rated 250ASA and home-processed in well-used C41 dev for 6 mins @ 100oF -- there was a slight 'Fog Level 'but negs scanned OK . I had some Light Leak on the A12 B&W back so I too it apart and had a look -- the Seals looked unworn and OK .
Beach Scene with Fisherman 80mm f2.8 CT Planar T* 1/250 @ f9 Felixstowe 05.jpg
The Most BORING PIER in UK !! Only GULLS could access most of it ! 80mm f2.8 CT Planar T* 1/125 f11
Felixstowe 07.jpg
Felixstowe High Street 80mm f2.8 CT Planar T*
Felixstowe 03.jpg
A CHEEEEP Cafe where I got Coffee + Cake for £2.75 -- on Seafront Coffee alone was £3-20 !
Felixstowe 02.jpg

That brings back some memories Pete. :whistle:

I did my RN basic training at HMS Ganges back in the early seventies and we'd often go into Felixstowe for some 'fun'. I've never been back . . .

No wonder ! Nothing much 'going on ' there -- even all the Public Toilets were 'Closed for Refurbishment'

Pete , That's not Brentwood is it , Are you on holiday ?

NO BRENTWOOD does not have any 'Beach' !! It is FELIXSTOWE Suffolk -- pics in Colour from my Day Trip by Coach last week

OK a few more 'Blad snaps -- this time with the 2002 bought 501CM with the black material of the film blind 'cracking' ! went to the Savill Gardens Windsor Great Park on a coach trip with Wife then we had a Thames River Cruise with a Cream Tea -- that put UP my Blood Sugar ! COLOUR was 2003 outdated FUJI PROVIA 100F home-processed in a BELLINI E6 kit and I used an A16 film back
2023-09-03-0001.jpg2023-09-03-0002.jpg2023-09-03-0003.jpg2023-09-03-0004.jpg2023-09-03-0005.jpg2023-09-03-0006.jpg

OK a few more 'Blad snaps -- this time with the 2002 bought 501CM with the black material of the film blind 'cracking' ! went to the Savill Gardens Windsor Great Park on a coach trip with Wife then we had a Thames River Cruise with a Cream Tea -- that put UP my Blood Sugar ! COLOUR was 2003 outdated FUJI PROVIA 100F home-processed in a BELLINI E6 kit and I used an A16 film back
View attachment 400706View attachment 400707View attachment 400708View attachment 400709View attachment 400710View attachment 400711
Lovely set, gorgeous colours.
You could help me regarding Bellini processing, if you have time.

Nice set Pete , You are the man :) :film:

regarding BELLINI Processing -- I dilute the solutions as in instructions except for the final Stabilise to 1 litre -- I have 4 Brown GLASS BOTTLES except for the Bleach which I put into a 2 litre plastic container - it does it GOOD to have AIR in the Bleach ( But NOT the Developers! ) and a 1 litre plastic container for the Fixer. I heat up the developing tank with a hair dryer before loading film in the Changing Bag so it is warm but I also put tank into a small container with hot water -- you need an electric kettle nearby all the time as you need lots of Hot Water ! The first 4 solutions fit into my plastic container I use for C41 processing -- it was a Walls Ice Cream 2 litre box but I have to stand Bleach and Fix into a borrowed saucepan from Wife into which I put Hot Water - then have a Thermometer in the First Dev , stirring it then when it reaches 103oF pour into the Dev Tank holding the film -- START THE TIMER for 6 minutes and Agitate for 15 secs by Inversion then put tank back into warm water. Agitate every 30 secs, At 6 mins pour out into 1sr Dev pot and pour in 1st WASH WATER at 100oF ( 38oC) and do the 'Ilford Method' of WASHING then pour out wash and in goes the Reversal Bath - follow all through the Instruction Sheet BUT when it comes to the 4 minute FIXER I WASH the BLEACH out with warm water or it contaminates the FIX with the Orange Bleach - seems to do no harm -- then final WASH but it says Stabilise at 20C which is too COLD I think but I do LOWER the Temp of the Final Wash water. I measure out 5 mls of Stabilise Concentrate for 500m mls water. I have tried WIPING down the Film with FINGERS but the Stabilise is so good all the water runs off anyway -- I hang to dry in Bathroom next to my Darkroom / Computer Room. Then I SQUIRT some BUTANE GAS into the 1st Dev and Colour Dev bottles . If I do 120 or 220 Rollfilms I use 500mls in the Pots but if I do short 35mm I use Old Paterson System II tank which covers the spiral with 160mls solution -- then for a 35mm 36 Exp I had a Paterson Tank which takes 300mls to cover the spiral.
E6 kit.jpg

Last edited:
Another snap to show : Yellow container frmo Robert Dyas of BUTANE, 120/220 size Paterson Dev Tank in container with the warm water, 35mm Paterson ancient System II tank with thermometer in container i got from TESCOS. JUG for Wash water, Electric Kettle ( don't ask me how I plug it in ! ) , Measuring Cylinders 1000Mls and 500mls -- ask if you want to see anything ELSE as I have been doing Processing since 1951 and COLOUR ( 'FERRANIACOLOR Slides' ) since about 1954 so do not know what 'Skill level ' you are up to . SO FAR I have not 'Contaminated' any solutions ! It needs TOTAL CONCENTRATON -- NO Phone Calls, NO Door Bells and make SURE you do a WEE before you begin!
E6 Kit 02.jpg

Another snap to show : Yellow container frmo Robert Dyas of BUTANE, 120/220 size Paterson Dev Tank in container with the warm water, 35mm Paterson ancient System II tank with thermometer in container i got from TESCOS. JUG for Wash water, Electric Kettle ( don't ask me how I plug it in ! ) , Measuring Cylinders 1000Mls and 500mls -- ask if you want to see anything ELSE as I have been doing Processing since 1951 and COLOUR ( 'FERRANIACOLOR Slides' ) since about 1954 so do not know what 'Skill level ' you are up to . SO FAR I have not 'Contaminated' any solutions ! It needs TOTAL CONCENTRATON -- NO Phone Calls, NO Door Bells and make SURE you do a WEE before you begin!
View attachment 400759
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.
Really appreciate it.
Tony.

Good to know it’s worth buying and at that price it’s reasonable value, especially if you compare it to the cost of a genuine acute mat screen. If it was anyone other than N&T then i’d definitely get one of these. Will have to see if I can find an eBay seller.

Nick,

I think these screens may be the same, It may be worth buying the Amazon screen first as it is an easy process to return for credit if you do not like it.

@RaglanSurf.​

Nick, just to let you know I have been watching those two screens in that place and the Chinese supplier has just sent me a reduction offer of £4.00.

Reducing the price to £35.99, I thought you would like to know that if you watch the item you also receive the offer.

(y)

@RaglanSurf

Nick, the second offer was through just now. £ 37.98.

Grotty Weather on a Coach Trip to BROADSTAIRS, County of KENT ( England) - I gave my 2002 501CM an outing using the CLA'd A24 back for outdated Fuji Astia and a CLA'd Black A12 back for outdated Ilford HP5+ which I processed in HomeMade 510-Pyro 1+100 for 9.5 mins @ 20oC -- I have NOT PROCESSED the E6 film yet -- saving iit in fridge until I get MORE exposed then worth making up the new BELLINI E6 kit
LOUISA BAY with 80mm f2.8 CFE Planar T*
2023-09-13-0003.jpg
The Old Clock Tower after Rain shower !
2023-09-13-0006.jpg

Back