Hasselblad Macro lens help....

Edit My Images
Yes
After using a 100mm macro lens for my Canon DSLR which i am more than inpressed with i decided to take the plunge and buy a macro lens for my Hasselblad 503CW.
I chose the Makro Plannar CFI f/4 120mm. However once i fitted it to my camera it does not seem to focus 'very close' to things. I have to be a few feet away to get things in focus and even then they do not seem very magnified. Nothing like my Canon 100mm for example.
Forgive my lack of knowledge if this is the norm but can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

From Zeiss

Although the Makro-Planar" T' 4/120 CFi lens can be and should
be used for subjects as small as half life-size,the built in focusing
helicoid allowes only to focus down to a single page. This has
been done for a safety purpose. Since most of the Hasselblad SLR
cameras in use with professional photographers today do not
incorporate TTL exposure metering, we believe that the lens
should not easily focus down to such reduction ratios without
warning, where exposure compensation is absolutely critical for
professional results. Adding an extensionring for closer focusing
should remind the photographer to apply the necessary
compensation,too. Those photographers who prefer a makro
lens that can focus from inflnity to life size should also investigate
the Carl ZeissMakro-Planar" T* 5,6/135 CF lens combined with
the Hasselblad automatic bellows extension.

Hope this helps

Min focus distance on this lens is 0.8 metres, an extension tube or bellows is/are required for real close-up work

Trev

I dunno Deano but having a guess I reckon 120mm on a MF is about 80ish on a 35mm camera. Don't forget your 100mm on a 40D is going to be a crop to about 160mm. Pretty tough to compare the two in this case I think.

Can you get a longer macro for the blad? I suppose the only other way to look at it is even though you might not be able to frame as tight as you'd like to atleast you've got a bloody huge negative you can crop from and retain the detail.

Thanks for your help guys. That explains it. At least the lens aint broke! Ha ha...
I did think that there could be a fault with the lens at first.
Best get a few pics taken and get em on the enlarger and crop in.
Thanks for all your help though, much appreciated as always.

Best off buying an extension tube or a Proxar (which is far easier to use) if you want greater magnification.

At least you've got a 6x6 negative to crop if you wish

Back