"Hasselblads are no use for portrait work"

Red9R said:
I got told something similar buy a wedding tog a while ago, they did not use Nikon as they were to sharp, canon gave a much softer image??

Obvious from the moron school as this guy.

that is so detailed you can pick out her black heads and the bit between her teeth.

And the hairs on her face, nail varnish looks tatty, and you can see the tog in her pupils. I wouldn't fancy that camera being pointed at me :D

I've considered Hassy for my portrait work but being able to shoot only 1 shot per second or longer isn't all that helpful to me when I need to fire off multiple shots quickly to capture an developing expression.

I'd love the sharpness / detail of the Hassy though.

I've considered Hassy for my portrait work but being able to shoot only 1 shot per second or longer isn't all that helpful to me when I need to fire off multiple shots quickly to capture an developing expression.

Antici..........pation.

'blads like light so you'll probably want to light any shots with them any way. And most flash doesn't recycle faster than 1 fps.. You'd be fine. Pro centre have some great deals ATM.

Just buy one.

Red9R said:
LoL, I did find it an odd statement even as inexperianced as I am :)

Nearly as odd as my typo ridden reply!

Antici..........pation.

'blads like light so you'll probably want to light any shots with them any way. And most flash doesn't recycle faster than 1 fps.. You'd be fine. Pro centre have some great deals ATM.

Just buy one.

Nearly all my portraits are using natural light. Because I work with actors and actresses some of their best shots are reactionary and only present themselves for a limited period of time. That's why 5fps beats 1fps in this respect.

Nearly all my portraits are using natural light. Because I work with actors and actresses some of their best shots are reactionary and only present themselves for a limited period of time. That's why 5fps beats 1fps in this respect.

Peter Hurley is an awesome headshot photographer

http://fstoppers.com/fstoppers-original-peter-hurley-exposes-the-perfect-headshot

Uses digital hasselblad, and really doesn't seem to struggle.

Depends whether you get your shots with skill or luck I guess ;) (y)

I bet she was so pleased he caught all her facial hair so well. Sensor mark top left at 45deg too by the look of things, right in the corner, first thing I noticed tbh. Loose thread on scarf top left, fingers bottom right. Dont like the appearance of the skin at normal viewing size.
All in all I'd say your "teacher" was pretty accurate, so if anyone has one and wants to get shot of it at a low price I'll take it off their hands, as a favour as its near Xmas.

Matt

I bet she was so pleased he caught all her facial hair so well. Sensor mark top left at 45deg too by the look of things, right in the corner, first thing I noticed tbh. Loose thread on scarf top left, fingers bottom right. Dont like the appearance of the skin at normal viewing size.
All in all I'd say your "teacher" was pretty accurate, so if anyone has one and wants to get shot of it at a low price I'll take it off their hands, as a favour as its near Xmas.

Matt

Wasn't that just an example image straight converted from Raw to Jpg though....as an example...without PP?

Wasn't that just an example image straight converted from Raw to Jpg though....as an example...without PP?
I believe so. Looks like it will need even more PP than a 1.6 crop with a soft lens :) So you pay a fortune for a Blad then spend hours/days having to muck about doing PP and on a pros rate too. Beginning to look liek a bridge camera with a small sensor makes more sens.
Time to put the 5D and L glass up for sale as its all just too damn sharp.

Matt

Don't overlook that a lot of blad user do commercial work, big billboards, very large images. The detail is relevant then.

Have you ever used a Digital MF camera Matt? I haven't. I wish there was a way Hassy would loan me one to try out. Maybe I'd be sold then.

Difficult to judge a camera I've never used though.

I've had a bit of a thread clean. Can we keep away from the personal insults and get back on track for the topic of the thread please.

Have you ever used a Digital MF camera Matt? I haven't. I wish there was a way Hassy would loan me one to try out. Maybe I'd be sold then.

Just fill out the form here http://www.handsonahasselblad.com/bookaprivate.html

They will arrange to bring one over to you. For real.

I believe so. Looks like it will need even more PP than a 1.6 crop with a soft lens So you pay a fortune for a Blad then spend hours/days having to muck about doing PP and on a pros rate too.

Nope. Files require significantly less post than any other camera I own (apart from the Fuji, obvs). I'd post you some SOOC but given the way this thread's degenerating I'm not sure there's a point....

Nope. Files require significantly less post than any other camera I own (apart from the Fuji, obvs). I'd post you some SOOC but given the way this thread's degenerating I'm not sure there's a point....

Be real nice to see sooc shots from the D3 and hassy of the same subject at the same time etc etc just curious.

spike

I'd like to see some SOOC shots.

Blemishes and hairy face thing can be reduced with different lighting can't it? I also notice the BBC were mentioning their make up budget had gone up a lot since HD was the norm as it was less forgiving. I have certainly noticed some people look a bit rougher in HD than SD!

While some details are undesirable, sharpness and definition around things like eyes, eyelashes, clothes certainly are. Clothes being a big part of it as Hassy's get a lot of use in commercial fashion photography.

For headshots sure, they might be a bit too sharp, but there are still those spots you'd want to be very sharp like the eyes. It's a lot easier and more effective to selectively soften skin, either in post or with a decent model and MUA (as most Hassy professional users will have access to), than to fake sharpness and clarity in the other areas.

Lets not forget a lot of their attraction comes from a) Non-existent noise at base ISOs and b) High resolution files (makes a very noticeable difference for billboard prints, if not magazines)

Last edited:
Just fill out the form here http://www.handsonahasselblad.com/bookaprivate.html

They will arrange to bring one over to you. For real.

Whoa, really, ta!

Oh, another thing. Most of the time I use a 35mm (1Ds3) and an 85L @ 1.8 usually. What's the MF equivelant? It appears Hassy don't have any fast primes? Apart from the 2.2 100?

Last edited:
The big difference between MF digital and FF DSLR is the smoothness in graduation of tones due to the higher Dynamic Range and also the fact that they are 16 Bit.

Mr Bizzare (Paul) has a H3DII as well as a D3S and D3X so if you ask him nicely he might take some SOOC images for you.

Hi...

Can I just make one point about the course...no naming or shaming...

It did not fulfil the course title...and I think that is the main reason people are getting a refund...(Christmas themed Photoshoot with Models)...I got my money back....

The only thing that annoyed me was...the Manager intimated that the Photographer felt he did not perform at his best as he FELT INTIMIDATED........RUBBISH...!!!

#2...I love Calumet...their own brand stuff is good...always found the staff helpful...even got my first shot with a 'Blad' there at the open day...

OVERALL...I think Im just a bit let down by it all...and its taken the shine off them a bit in my eyes...if it was bad...just admit it...refund money and move on...!!!

(No ranting or slagging off here)

STEVIER

#2...I love Calumet...their own brand stuff is good...always found the staff helpful...even got my first shot with a 'Blad' there at the open day...

Stevie, the triggers that failed constantly throughout the day were Calumet-brand, and as for the staff, the inability of the guy we spoke to to differentiate between a discount of 20% off the ex-vat or vat-inclusive price speaks volumes...

Whoa, really, ta!

Oh, another thing. Most of the time I use a 35mm (1Ds3) and an 85L @ 1.8 usually. What's the MF equivelant? It appears Hassy don't have any fast primes? Apart from the 2.2 100?

Opening up wide enough for less than f/2.0 in a medium format camera is a huge challenge without lenses costing well into the tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds, as well as murdering IQ where it usually matters to the users of these cameras - at f/2.8 for shallow DoF on location and f/8 or higher for perfect resolution in the studio. These cameras are about getting perfect images in perfect conditions, if you want a shot from every situation, get a D3S.

Your 85mm lens has a diagonal angle of view around 29° on the 1Ds3. Your best bet on the Hasselblad would probably be a 150mm lens to get near the same angle of view.

So now you are comparing 85 vs 150mm .. the DoF at the same f-stop will be vastly different. But the amount of light needed for a certain shutter speed won't be.

I leave the math to others, but there's a reason why Hasselblads love to lounge around studios where light is available on command :)

HI I've bin a Nikon man for years, but just recently I had a need for something that I could print just that bit bigger, so I trotted of to Ebay to see what was in the window and low and behold a full kit 5 lenses, batteries, extension tubes and a H3dii 31 for the same price as a new Hd4 40 with only a 80mm new from Dale in Leeds, 2 weeks ago driving back for that there London with a Peli case full of camera and an empty wallet, I set about getting used to this new system and as of today this is my findings, the Nikon D3s is the camera I will pick if lights is an issue, the D3x is super in the studio when they don't sit still, but the hassleblad has taken me back to real photography it not easy to use, the DOF is at times half that with 35mm, it's built like a brick ****** house and it weighs loads, the quality with this which is only a entry level model is outstanding and it prints big. However IMO the only one of these 3 which cannot be replaced by a cheaper alternative is the D3s, ie D3 and hassleblad quality with older film cameras and a good scanner or older digital back as can be seen with Ebray(Eddie's) shots.

Be real nice to see sooc shots from the D3 and hassy of the same subject at the same time etc etc just curious.

spike

Hmm....

The mood of the thread appears to be to ridicule models and make up artists. Don't really think I have anything to contribute to that.

More importantly since people are paying for my time I don't usually shoot with both. The Nikon's in the bag in case of issues or for BTS but the only time I can remember shooting one after the other under the same conditions is when I was evaluating buying one. Maybe I still have the files.

Dunno....it's going to depend on the sensor size. On my H3D I treat an 80 like a 50 on full frame. Only other lens I use is the 150 which feels like a 90 - 110.

Maybe look at the 50 and the 150.

Fast primes? Well, kind of. Your DOF is going to be lower due to the larger sensor (yes, I know not really). The 150/3.2 seems plenty fast enough though as I said, most shooting is done with lights.

The big difference between MF digital and FF DSLR is the smoothness in graduation of tones due to the higher Dynamic Range and also the fact that they are 16 Bit.

Finally some sense ;) Though I believe it's more the 16 bit than the DR but both help. One of the reasons why web images aren't a great way to "debate" this.

This guy sounds like an insanely big headed prat.. not only do I disrespect a guy that effectively bullies his photography opinions onto others, but grabs the throat of other technologies just because he doesn't like one of them. Saying Hassleblads aren't good for studio/portrait work is like saying Avatar is the worst film to experience 3D in.

And the setting the aperture thing on the 550D.. I don't care how much of a pro he (thinks) he is, the whole reason behind learning something is because you weren't afraid to ask a question and you got an answer.

Also, if you're paying for this guys time. I should hope he atleast dresses nice, because if he makes incoherent babble for conversation, he should at very minimum be a nice looking fella to stand next to. (no homo) Unless he is a basement dwelling neckbeard, I have no hope for his future career.

-100 man points for the pro..
+1 for this thread ;D

You have to wonder if this isn't a classic case of someone who's never used a camera before but feels more than capable to critique it.

I get it all the time from 5D2 owners over my 1Ds3, 'Nah Nah my screens better than yours, nah nah mine has video, nah nah mine does ISOstupidlyhigh'

They've never used a 1Ds3 in their life.

You have to wonder if this isn't a classic case of someone who's never used a camera before but feels more than capable to critique it.

I get it all the time from 5D2 owners over my 1Ds3, 'Nah Nah my screens better than yours, nah nah mine has video, nah nah mine does ISOstupidlyhigh'

I think it all comes down to people feeling the need to justify a cheaper purchase beyond "just couldn't afford something better", so they tell themselves and others that they picked their model because they're convinced it's superior to the more expensive option.

Silly, really.

I'll happily admit that while I'm happy with what I've got (D7000), I can't wait to buy a D700 or its successor early next year. And I won't be trying to argue that it's in any way better than a D3s or a Hassy, because I'm happy to admit that I'd buy one of those if I could afford it or justify the expense. :)

We should have a like button on here...

If so Id have used it for Anja...

I own a 50D...would love a 5D Mkii...would also love a Blad if I won the lottery...or work let me afford one...

STEVIER

We should have a like button on here...

If so Id have used it for Anja...

I own a 50D...would love a 5D Mkii...would also love a Blad if I won the lottery...or work let me afford one...

STEVIER

Stevie, I think what Anja is saying is that there a few people on here who are unrealistic with the reason for their purchase. No one cares if people are honest in that it was the best deal or they preferred the feel but there are a number of people on here that blatantly push their choice against all practical experience- e.g. ''Nikon is better for video'' No it's not and if you think that it is, it is unlikely that you really understand video. Or, a 550D is better than a 7D- of course it is- that's why it's much cheaper because Canon put more technology in it and charge less because they haven't realised the 7D is better...;)

You want a 5D Mk III mate;)

Don't overlook that a lot of blad user do commercial work, big billboards, very large images. The detail is relevant then.

Difficult to judge a camera I've never used though.

You are not missing anything... MF high ress digital cameras are big, oscenely expensive, heavy, and slow. But, when you need giant prints, nothing else will do.
As for the "pro" comment... I am spechless.

Actually, I have owned a 1DSIII and the 5DII has a better screen, video, ISOstupidhigh and same resolution.

Moreover, the image quality form the 5DII is better than what the 1DsIII can muster (hence the slump in 1DS sales after the 5DII release)... that's just fact.

Still, the 1DsIII has better AF system, ergonomics, weather seals, build quality and durability. But, that's about as much as it has going for it.

Back