"Hasselblads are no use for portrait work"

Edit My Images
Yes
.....so I was told by a "pro" yesterday. According to him the images they produce are too sharp and they give too much detail.....:thinking::shrug:

Better for sports aren't they? :nuts:

.....so I was told by a "pro" yesterday. According to him the images they produce are too sharp and they give too much detail.....:thinking::shrug:

That's fantastic, did you get any other 'gems' from him, as I would love to hear them :)

Last edited:
I can see his point, people want flattering photos, not every crevice in their face and neck highlighted. You could always use softening filters etc I suppose.

There's a school of thought that says a little softness in a portrait is a good thing. It's not a new idea. Look up Julia Margaret Cameron. She was ridiculed for it at the time she was working, but hey, she's stood the test of time.

there is another school of thought.. you cant take out what you never put in. I would rather soften and work with a large sharp image, than start off with a smaller soft one

Bloomin heck just looked at the price of those cameras:eek:

spike

If I could afford one, I would happily use a Hasslebled for portraits / weddings / products etc. It may not be the first camera I would pick up in all scenario's, but you can't get past the fact that they are very good at doing what they were designed for

When you look at the price
http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/DalePhotographicOnline/_H4D 31 compared to
http://www.dalephotographic.co.uk/m...n D3X + Nikkor 70 - 200mm f2.8 AFS VR II Lens

You would certainly be very tempted, especially as 1 year ago the Nikon combo would have been about the same price

Flash In The Pan said:

he probably uses a Nikon so used to soft crapy images lol

Here's the image from 40Mpixel Hasselblad http://db.tt/yaRUkmmK, RAW exported to JPEG via Lightroom, nothing added. They had a stand at Canon PRO Solutions this year and were offering "have a play with" but you had to have your CF card for that.

Here's the image from 40Mpixel Hasselblad http://db.tt/yaRUkmmK, RAW exported to JPEG via Lightroom, nothing added. They had a stand at Canon PRO Solutions this year and were offering "have a play with" but you had to have your CF card for that.
that is so detailed you can pick out her black heads and the bit between her teeth.

interesting lol! not heard that one before. but ive been told that they do have an extra filter on the sensor as apposed to a leaf back for example that supposedly doesn't do it any favours. Not totally clued up on medium format tho lol!

that is so detailed you can pick out her black heads and the bit between her teeth.

Nothing that a light smear of vaseline on the lens couldn't sort out......

Allan

Well i'm very happy with mine. :p

Below is a 100% crop from a portrait of my Grandson, but, get this, it was taken on my HC 150mm lens, Hasselblad redesigned it because it was not sharp enough and there is now a HC 150N, gawd knows how sharp that is. :shrug:

Lucas100crop.jpg

he probably uses a Nikon so used to soft crapy images lol

Actually he does, which made watching him trying to adjust the aperture on a Canon 550D ("I've no idea how to do this") highly amusing.

Did I mention he was charging for this?

Actually he does, which made watching him trying to adjust the aperture on a Canon 550D ("I've no idea how to do this") highly amusing.

Did I mention he was charging for this?

That wouldn't have been that Calumet thing some of you were going to would it?

Haha. Was it one of the gremlins that works in the store or someone they brought in to do the day?

Wouldn't feel that way if he'd saved his money and bought a nashikonica lens for it.

Haha. Was it one of the gremlins that works in the store or someone they brought in to do the day?

Someone they brought in. In their bumf they claim he has 35 years experience, a quick Google brought up a quote from him from fairly recently saying he was a 'keen amateur' and that he "wished he was better (at photography)"......

Someone they brought in. In their bumf they claim he has 35 years experience, a quick Google brought up a quote from him from fairly recently saying he was a 'keen amateur' and that he "wished he was better (at photography)"......

I'd be looking for my money back.

I've just recently unsubscribed from their newsletter, I wished there had been a bit to explain why you were unsubscribing so I could tell them how useless the Glasgow staff are.

I'd be looking for my money back.

I've just recently unsubscribed from their newsletter, I wished there had been a bit to explain why you were unsubscribing so I could tell them how useless the Glasgow staff are.

I am, the whole thing was a shambles. Believe me, I won't miss them and hit the wall :naughty:

wow, amazing, everything at calumet does is usually awesome :(

the photog teacher sounds a tool, I'd have given up too...

Too sharp.....?

It's all about the skin tones.....

Plus, get better models and MUAs. Simples.

I got told something similar buy a wedding tog a while ago, they did not use Nikon as they were to sharp, canon gave a much softer image??

Been there. The light they used was extra hard - even the worst Canon/Nikon (delete as you wish) would show plenty of details.

Obviously the claim 'too sharp' is nonsense. Once has to pick lenses and light accordingly, and then there are ways in software. There is little one can do with soft image to make it sharp so any 'soft' gear might as well find a deserving owner.

Well i'm very happy with mine. :p

Below is a 100% crop from a portrait of my Grandson, but, get this, it was taken on my HC 150mm lens, Hasselblad redesigned it because it was not sharp enough and there is now a HC 150N, gawd knows how sharp that is. :shrug:

Lucas100crop.jpg

You could get the same effect on a Canon 350D with a 50mm f 1.8 and maybe a tube or two. :LOL:

Back