Hassy 203FE issue

Edit My Images
No
Hi all, it has been a while since I was on-site, prompted by an issue experienced this morning with 203fe body.
Thought I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge on TP for insight /advice.
More often than not the mirror is locking up, not every time though (circa 20% shutter presses).
At first I assumed it was the battery that was nearing the end of its life.
However, camera body electronics are bypassed and is pure mechanical when switched to manual 'C' mode ...... but the problem persists at the same rate.
Assume it needs a cla to unstick the sticky mirror ...... any other possible suggestions to resolve this issue?
Cheers

Not at all familiar with your camera, but is there a small foam mirror shock absorber in the body?

Certainly on my older DSLRs they get sticky as the foam degrades over time and stop the mirror returning as it should.

C
Not at all familiar with your camera, but is there a small foam mirror shock absorber in the body?

Certainly on my older DSLRs they get sticky as the foam degrades over time and stop the mirror returning as it should.

Can't see a foam shock absorber ..... thanks for your input.

I had a sticky mirror on one of my Veronicas, its a big ole mirror banging up and down in there and it definitely was the foam seals, dunno about shock absorbers but there is material that seals out light that could get in through the WLF or prizm or whatever, when the mirror is in the up position.
Whilst it didn't effect any actual shots I took because the shutter curtain made the exposure, it was annoying to hear the mirror return from a few seconds to minutes, after I'd taken the shot.
Course the viewfinder was blocked whilst it was stuck up too.
That's ancient focal plane SLR's for you though..:)

Last edited:
That's ancient focal plane SLR's for you though..:)

Haha .... agreed

Can't remember the name / contact details of any good, reliable CLA'ers ....... I have only had one body cla'd previously, think it was in deepest darkest Surrey around 6 / 7 years ago.

The general consensus around these parts is Miles Whitehead, I've no personal experience to report but he always seems to get a good rap here from people who have employed his services, someone will be along to elaborate on that I'm sure..:)

Back