Critique Hatton Locks - Long Exposure

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is one I did a long time back featuring part of the famous some who have traversed it might say infamous Hatton Flight of Locks, this is roughly halfway though the flight where now there is a cafe/visitors centre I guess maybe in the past it was for lock keeps maybe even some facilities for the working boats

Hatton middle lock Colour
by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As with all my photos comments and critique are welcomed and appreciated (y)

Matt

Love the image, but the canal should be empty!
It all seems to be leaning to the left!

Last edited:
Love the image, but the canal should be empty!
It all seems to be leaning to the left!

Thanks (y) glad that you like it (y)

I'm not overly sure on the leaning as looking at the lock gates as small as they are they appear correct on the vertical as do the verticals of the doors on the first building to the left of the bridge, and this building is roughly central in frame so should be least affected by distortion :thinking:

I really like the shot, well composed, nice

Thank you I'm glad that you like it (y)

I'm not overly sure on the leaning as looking at the lock gates as small as they are they appear correct on the vertical as do the verticals of the doors on the first building to the left of the bridge, and this building is roughly central in frame so should be least affected by distortion

Totally agree with that, I put a grid over the image and the verticals are as straight as you could get them (didn't doubt it for a minute)
But it still looks as if it all tilts left somehow, it was the first thing I was drawn to when I first looked at it.
I STILL like the image though!

Totally agree with that, I put a grid over the image and the verticals are as straight as you could get them (didn't doubt it for a minute)
But it still looks as if it all tilts left somehow, it was the first thing I was drawn to when I first looked at it.
I STILL like the image though!

Ah yeah I understand what you mean now, it is a little left heavy with the angle of the tow path/mooring, and the buildings (y)

Edit: that said looking at the larger version more there are a couple of things that leap put to me more so now, firstly there is some really sloppy cloning that I've done to take out some phonelines :( didn't look that bad when I first did it, but this has sat on my Flickr Unpublished for months, only made it public this evening :(

Secondly there is some CA issues most notable on the roofline :(

Last edited:
Back