Have I changed my mind about the D90

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I was all set to buy my D90 this weekend (first DSLR), but have just been looking at the Jessops website and they have a deal on the D5000 & 2 lenses.

Its almost £200 cheaper than the D90.

Is there a marked difference between the 2? The spec seems pretty similar bar one or two difference but as a beginner I'm not sure what I should be looking out for.

I'm dead set on buying brand new but can't figure out if the D90 warrants paying the extra for less kit.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The D5000 will feel like a small toy camera compared with the D90 as the D5000 is barely larger than some "point & shoot" cameras.

The D5000 does not have a top LCD so checking your settings is not easy as everything has to be done via the rear LCD only. It does not even have a front dial so you will be able to easily adjust either shutter OR aperture, but not both!

It does not have a pentaprism viewfinder but instead has a "pentamirror" based viewfinder to the viewfinder image will be small & dark.

Finally it does not have a focus motor so a lot of lenses will be manual focus only, such as the 50mm 1.8D.

Agree with the above, the d90 is in a different class.

The major bonus as mentioned is that the d90 has a built in motor so older cheaper lenses will work.

I've just received today (20 mins ago) a 50mm f1.8 which looks brand new and I only paid £65 for it.

The top LCD is much better and also the fact that the d90 has more physical buttons means that you don't have to dive into the menu to change basic settings

I jumped from a D60 (simlar size to the D5000) to the D300 and I have to say that I think small size is a massive advantage.

How many times have you heard someone say, "I saw this awsome shot but I didn't have my camera"

Its why I sold my 70-200mm, never carried the thing with me!

Stuart

I moved from a D40x (same size as a D5000) to a D90. Couldn't agree more about the smaller entry level bodies feeling like toys..
The D90 is a better camera in every way.. as pointed out above, it's better built, it's got an in-body motor, more buttons, more features, better sensor etc etc..

Also, don't let the 2x lenses sway you too much, they might be bobbins . The D90 kit lens is actually very good.

focus motor is handy - the 50/1.8 and non VR 70-300 go for about 50 notes - the AFS equivs, though undoubtably better in some respects, are serious money.

The D90 is about 60grams heavier but it does feature compatability with all Nikon lenses which is the main reason to buy into the D90. Overall it is the better camera, but maybe look into what lenses you would use in the future. Do you understand about the compatability? Hope we are not teaching you to suck eggs here, but basically where with Canon entry level DSLRs you have compatability with the EF-S and EF lenses (i.e. all lenses), Nikon take a different approach. With the entry level Nikon cameras including the d5000 you do not get compatability with all lenses, but rather the Nikon equivalent of EF-S called AF-S (someone correct me if I am wrong please as I am less familiar with Nikon).
The lower priced current Nikons that you do get this full compatability with are D7000 and the D90. You have to ask yourself whether in the future you are likely to want to branch out to using a more diverse set of lenses such as older primes type G or D (i.e. non AF-S).
When I say they are not compatible, some of them will mount and "work" but it is to do with the AF (Auto focus) working or not. i.e. They will work with manual focus but not auto.
I hope this explains it ok.

I went from D40 to D90, again the D40 shares the same body size as the D5000. The body size thing has never bothered me much, obviously having more heft is nice but not essential. For me the D40 was lacking sorely in features compared with the D90 (bracketing, top LCD, front and rear dials, etc). My advice would be to get the D90 if you can afford it, as you can grow into it. Wish I'd bought the D90 first, but then I wouldn't have two cameras now :LOL:

The D90 is about 60grams heavier but it does feature compatability with all Nikon lenses which is the main reason to buy into the D90.

The D90 won't meter with the likes of AI/AI-S and earlier lenses (but higher models will)

Hope we are not teaching you to suck eggs here, but basically where with Canon entry level DSLRs you have compatability with the EF-S and EF lenses (i.e. all lenses), Nikon take a different approach. With the entry level Nikon cameras including the d5000 you do not get compatability with all lenses, but rather the Nikon equivalent of EF-S called AF-S (someone correct me if I am wrong please as I am less familiar with Nikon).

EF = Full frame (FX) & Crop lens
EF-S = Crop (DX) only lens

All Canon's current lenses (apart from that epic macro lens) have in lens focus motors

AF-S = Nikon's in lens focus motor and is present in most of Nikon's more up to date lenses. Both DX and FX.

I would warn you that both the 5000 and to 90 are rather old and due for replacement soon. However both are good cameras and are heavily discounted. I wouldn't be put off the 5000 by the tired old argument of no in body motor. I think as a new comer you are unlikely to be buying old lenses.

The choice really comes down to what you what type of photographer you are - serious or a bit of a snapper? The D90 has all the settings and flexibility you could wish for, but is somewhat large and heavy for casual use. The 5000 is smaller but requires more use of menus to reach certain functions. They both share the same sensor so image quality will be very similar.

The best advice is to go into a shop and handle them both, have a look at the 3100 too. Don't be limited to Nikon - Canon have a really strong product line up.

if you've got your heart set on the d5000 then jacobs have a few offers at present body only at £299 and body with 18-105mm for £399, a bargain me thinks

^ £299 for a D5000 body does indeed seem like a bargain, but if you got it with the 18-105mm and wanted something else lens-wise, you would easily sell the 18-105mm for more than £100. How much is the dual-lens kit OP was referring to originally?

^ £299 for a D5000 body does indeed seem like a bargain, but if you got it with the 18-105mm and wanted something else lens-wise, you would easily sell the 18-105mm for more than £100. How much is the dual-lens kit OP was referring to originally?

£499 from Jessops I beleive. Includes the 55-200 VR and 18-55 VR. That also seems like a great deal. I bought a D5000 over a D90 back in September last year but being honest if I'd had the money I'd have gone for the D90. But now that I have a D5000, it seems unlikely I'd upgrade to a D90 as there aren't enough differences to justify it. The D5000 does nearly everything I want it to although a few more buttons/dials would sometimes be handy. My next step up would likely be to D300/s I'd imagine. Used examples of those may well be also worth a look but FWIW as an entry into Nikon DSLR's the D5000 is excellent value right now.

Yes the d7000 replaces the d90 I think there are rumors of a d5100 this year as well.

Its all going to come down to tour budget and how long you intend to keep the camera.

I fell into the trap of ill buy x camera or x lens now because it'll do for now.

I brought a d3000 back in June, lowest spec dslr Nikon at the time. But I thought hey it'll do for now. What I didn't for see is that I'd soon grow out of it and want more features very quickly. So about a month ago I sold it and brought a d90.

But I didn't stop there, I asked for advice here about flashes. Specifically the sb-400 and sb-600. I was warned off the 400 and told to get the 600 by everyone. But hey, I thought the 400 would do for now so brought it anyway.

It took me about 2 weeks to realise what I wanted the flash to do really required the 600. So again sold the 400 and brought the 600.

The moral to my stories.

Buy nice or buy twice!

Don't just settle for what suits your needs now, ask yourself if that camera will still meet your requirements in 2 years time

boliston said:
I'm now worried about my recent D700 purchase as I should have gone straight for the D3s :cool:

Do you think you'll wish u had brought the d3s in a few months?

If you think.you will then you should of saved for a few more years lol

Back