Have I finally seen the light?

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
I have over the last few weeks been evaluating the ups and downs through my photography journey which is getting on for 50 years. I have reached the conclusion that I am constantly looking for the holy grail of cameras to make each new purchase extinguish the flames of GAS. I recently sold most of my mirrorless gear and purchased a GR3, I am now firmly entrenched in the compact camera camp. This camera has been a revelation for me, fits in pocket, doesn’t get in the way when out doing none photography activities so much so that I have now purchased an immaculate GX100, alright it’s only 10mpix but looking at the images a short while ago in Lightroom, they’ll do for me, printed a couple at A3 and they look fine. To that end I will be moving on my last camera body and lens. It will shortly be listed on here.

Am I mad? Or have I at last come to my senses, at least my meagre savings for retirement will thank me.

As long as it works for you it's the right thing to do.

Until next year when you decide to get into motorsport or bird photography :)
It seems that finally I have got the message. I have been down this path before but this time I feel it’s time to stay on track and stop looking at new releases and wondering if ‘ it’s for me’

I think it comes down to working out what it is in this as a hobby/pastime that you enjoy, and facilitating that. If the compact cameras do it for you, where technology and uptodateness don't, then it sounds like you've nailed it. There's no doubt that 45Mp is not needed for anything except the most challenging display purposes, I have 10 and 12Mp cameras that do perfectly well for me, so I get it; I'm just still in the Gassy stage.

I still use a 4Mb chipped DSLR which gives me fab A3 images sometimes I post images on here, from said machine, no one has even commented on what machine they were made on :)

If the compacts work for you then go for it. (y)

However, you have me looking at this GX100 and thinking HMMMMMMMM!!!???????? :LOL:

I’ve come to realise that some people are as much, if not more, interested in cameras than the art of photography. And there’s nothing wrong with that, it’s a broad church.

For 98% of the time I don’t give much thought to cameras / lenses (beyond using them, obvs), but after 7 years of using my last camera I decided to swap to a Nikon mirrorless due to some of the features that I thought would make a difference to what I do and how I do it . Now that I’ve done the buying and selling, that will probably be it for another 5-10 years.

I’ve come to realise that some people are as much, if not more, interested in cameras than the art of photography.
This is true and I'm very nearly one of them. :tumbleweed:

I like playing with equipment and I like recording images that interest other people. I can go for weeks doing very little photography and then find something that catches my interest and which I hope will interest others. Image quality is always secondary to image interest in my opinion, which ties in nicely with camera juggling: "will this camera or lens help me to get the image I want?" Also, the older I get, the poorer my eyesight becomes and the less important technical quality is to me.

Thanks for all the replies, one of the reasons for going ‘compact’ was , I increasingly find myself surfing the internet looking at ytube vids and photography blogs/vlogs and not getting out and about with camera hopefully this will now all change as both are easily pocketable

Thanks for all the replies, one of the reasons for going ‘compact’ was , I increasingly find myself surfing the internet looking at ytube vids and photography blogs/vlogs and not getting out and about with camera hopefully this will now all change as both are easily pocketable
That is the essence of it, as is said, the best camera is the one in your hand.

When I go "home" (either South Africa or Philippines) I take a compact with me. Very rarely have I wished I took anything else. Simply, it is easy to carry, so it is carried, not left at home

The camera that takes the best photos is the one in you hand, not the one left at home.

The camera that takes the best photos is the one in you hand, not the one left at home

That's true as long as you like the output. The thing that made me return to decent kit was taking a 'decent' bridge camera to Zimbabwe and being completely dissatisfied and unhappy with the pictures. Often if I DO take a substandard camera (i.e. phone) only then the pics never get viewed again, and I may as well not have bothered.

This is how I feel about my pictures - it shouldn't influence anyone else.

It is very liberating to find the camera(s)(and maybe also lenses) that are sufficient, and to not long after more gear. :)

For me, I have a large camera (DSLR and three lenses) which are for times when ultimate image quality and versatility are needed, and a compact camera that is with me all the time. The resolution is the same in both, and in some ways the compact is better, it has a longer focal length in the built in lens than any individual lens on the DSLR, faster fps and the AF is close on both, with maybe the compact edging it.

There is no one camera (and lens) that will satisfy everybody, all of the time, but the trick is to find what is enough for you. There is always the option to buy more in the future, ;) but it is great to not be actively looking for the 'next' thing. At the moment, I can't think of anything I am missing. :)

Used to chase the best I could justify to myself and have a couple of more than capable systems but will be going on holiday next month (wow! That crept up on us!!!) with just a compact. I'm not expecting either the ultimate quality that the Nikon or Fuji systems can give me but since it's somewhere we've been before, it's more for snapshots+ than previous trips were. If I find somewhere that deserves the fuller treatment, we'll go back and I'll take it with me! Hopefully, the Sony RX-100 vi will do all I want it to.

I bought a Fuji X100V, since I hardly used my DSLR, and thought 'this is the one, this is all I need' so I packed up all my Nikon gear -- D810, lenses, flashgun, the lot, accepted a quote from LCE and waited for the courier to turn up. I kept looking at the box it was all packed in and as the time of the couriers arrival got closer I started to panic. At two hours to go, I cracked, contacted LCE, cancelled the collection and took everything out of their boxes. Since then, I've used that equipment more than I'd ever used it before and I was so close to losing it all. I keep the Fuji because it can be with me all the time but some of the pictures I've got with the DSLR would obviously be just pipedreams for the Fuji.

My only remaining GAS is a D850, I have no hankering for mirrorless at all as my Fuji has an electronic viewfinder and I never use it as I don't like it (it has an optical one too of course). The D850 is still too expensive considering Nikons relentless march towards mirrorless but once it drops below two grand (and I'm sure it will) then I shall pounce and buy my last ever camera.

I’m on my own constant GAS wagon & never seem to be able to get off it. As soon as I think I’ve got just what I need I start looking at something else.

My Wife thinks it would be cheaper for me to go to therapy. :ROFLMAO:

I’m on my own constant GAS wagon & never seem to be able to get off it. As soon as I think I’ve got just what I need I start looking at something else.

My Wife thinks it would be cheaper for me to go to therapy. :ROFLMAO:
Luckily for me apart from the GX8 all my cameras are, or have been black, my other half doesn’t realise how many have passed through my hands

I’m kind of jealous of your resolve. A few years ago I made a month-long holiday to Hong Kong and Australia. Although I owned a very decent mirrorless system I decided to just take a Fuji X100F. I didn’t regret it. I got all the shots I wanted, including at my son’s wedding. Nowadays I have a different mirrorless system and GAS. I’m always changing my stable of lenses, and sometimes even systems. I buy lenses which I think I need, then never use them. At the age of 72 I really need to settle down. As I said, I’m jealous.

Luckily for me apart from the GX8 all my cameras are, or have been black, my other half doesn’t realise how many have passed through my hands
Oh I’m totally upfront with all of my camera purchases and she has no issue with them at all… indeed when I start the conversation about yet another camera she just rolls her eyes and says “just buy the f***ing thing.” :)

Oh I’m totally upfront with all of my camera purchases and she has no issue with them at all… indeed when I start the conversation about yet another camera she just rolls her eyes and says “just buy the f***ing thing.” :)
I now have exactly the same. Now she just wants me to get on with it rather than having all the to and froing, should I, shouldn't I, I'll get it if….

I did have a digital compact which I used for a long time, and was quite happy with it. Mind you, I've broadened my horizons since then. Although, I have never really been gripped by GAS. It's just the way I walk. :D

I can vouch for that too... my 7d is hiding in the office and I have replaced it with a R6.

Wife thinks it's still the same camera.

That's true as long as you like the output. The thing that made me return to decent kit was taking a 'decent' bridge camera to Zimbabwe and being completely dissatisfied and unhappy with the pictures. Often if I DO take a substandard camera (i.e. phone) only then the pics never get viewed again, and I may as well not have bothered.

This is how I feel about my pictures - it shouldn't influence anyone else.

Understood completely, though I wonder what the purpose of your trip was?

My trips now are to see friends and family (though I don't think I will make any more), the photographs are secondary, and mainly for memories and sharing with people I know. Have never been disappointed with the quality. Not expecting G9 quality from a TZ60 though.

I think if I went with the primary purpose of taking photos I would take something better.

Never taken any photos in Zimbabwe, took quite a few in Southern Rhodesia though, that was using my father's Vito BR (had to share it with him :) ) and I was going through those the other week, and although the image quality is not nearly as good as a modern compact, it didn't stop my enjoyment.

To me the OP has seen the light, definitely in matching his equipment to his needs :)

There's a place for all opinions here

I fully agree with @Sangoma , what works for me may not suit others.
Only time will tell if I have made the right choice (for me and my needs).

Does she know my wife as well? :rolleyes::LOL:

Mrs Nod adds a slight refinement to that sentiment - "If you buy that, will you STFU about it?"!

I now have exactly the same. Now she just wants me to get on with it rather than having all the to and froing, should I, shouldn't I, I'll get it if….
My wife is similar. If I can get her attention at all, she just says "well, it's your hobby". That's not to say I don't use man-maths to justify it to myself ...

Mrs Nod adds a slight refinement to that sentiment - "If you buy that, will you STFU about it?"!

When Mrs WW sees me looking at something she offers to buy me it :D

I have a birthday coming up so I can't really look at stuff on line in case she sees me and pesters me to order it.

Understood completely, though I wonder what the purpose of your trip was?

We were visiting Zimbabwean friends, who wanted to show us the country including Victoria falls, lake Kariba etc. All places we'd never seen before nor will visit again.

We were visiting Zimbabwean friends, who wanted to show us the country including Victoria falls, lake Kariba etc. All places we'd never seen before nor will visit again.
Then I can understand you wishing you had taken a better camera.
Hope what you got still allows you to remember the place, really beautiful part of the world, though I don't like the dry season so much :)

My wife is similar. If I can get her attention at all, she just says "well, it's your hobby". That's not to say I don't use man-maths to justify it to myself ...
'Man maths', I like that.

Back