Have I made the right decision?...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
My job is producing media for my company, creating video content relating to products and tutorial videos to help ‘sell’ the brand to punters. There’s also a heavy still prescence, whether that shooting magazine features or shooting product for catalogues, websites, adverts (etc). I probably shoot 50/50 video and stills...

Anyway, I’ve put the following kit list in to cover all this:

2x Nikon D800 + battery grips +spare batteries

Nikon 14mm f/2.8

Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8

Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8

SB-700

Sony wireless mics

Manfrotto tripods, LED light panels, Rode video mic etc.

It’s very much biased towards stills with video functionality. I currently use very similar kit (albeit in DX form) and I love it. But there’s part of me thinking that a dedicated video camera instead of one of the D800 bodies would offer the best of both worlds – a great still camera that can produce good vide, but a dedicated video camera for easy shooting in a semi-compact size.

I don’t really have an idea about dedicated video cameras – I have used them before and obviously approeciuate the fact they are geared towards video without compromise, but I’m not sure just what to buy, especially if I’m looking at equivalent pricings as a D800 body (possibly up to £2500 at a stretch.)

Some advice would be most appreciated from those of you who’ve worked on both still and moving images….

Last edited:
The first mistake you made was going down the Nikon route for video. There is a much larger market for video equipment and software for Canon most notably Magic Lantern. The Nikon's will work fine obviously but the Canons have been leaders in the video side of things for a while. I would recommend a 5DMkIII and either a 6D or a 5DMkII. If money is no problem then two mkIII's are the way to go but if this is for web based videos then these are a bit of an overkill. The lenses are fine butid go for a 70-200 over the sigma.

For sound I'd also get a few voice recorders to plug the mics into as the sound on DSLRs is rubbish. You need to sync the sound afterwards but its simple enough to do with most editing suites.

For product and tutorials there shouldnt be a great deal of movement so focussing should be easy enough. For this reason you dont need a dedicated video camera. To make product shots better you could get a slider as well to help make static images more interesting.

I am a fairly loyal Nikon user, but if I was producing video as my main commercial endeavour, I'd NOT be using Nikon. Get 5DMkIIIs. Vastly superior in lower light/higher ISOs... more support, especially third party firmware upgrades and ancillary gear etc.

Ballyman - RE: the Sigma, I currently use a 70-200mm on DX so wanted pretty much the equivalent zoom range. I don't rate the original 80-400mm from Nikon and the new version is too much. Plus it's a slow lens in terms of max. aperture.... a 70-200mm with a TC is still going to be slower aperture-wise.

RE: external sound recorders... something like the Zoom H1? Haven't used one but have hear they're pretty good. Syncing audio isn't an issue, just adds a little extra time to projects.

I'm currently in the processor making a jib arm and a motorised carbon track system but it's getting done very slowly as other things take my time up :)

You might like to look at this comparison of D800 and 5D3 http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/5d-mark-iii-vs-nikon-d800/

Interesting video. Not quite sure there's enough there to drag me away from Nikon in terms of stills shooting, although the buffer issues are a slight worry on the D800. I hate the control system on Canons, especially that horrid rear command dial and the extra £700 to get two bodies (more like £550 minus the VAT) is an obvious consideration. I think I need to price up the equivalent set up in Canon.... is Canon's flash system still totally useless?

I'd recommend a video camera.

Which one?

Last edited:
XF100, EX1,

Anything card based, with decent audio recording, no moire problem and things like peaking and zebras.

I use a Panasonic HC X900M camcorder which also can do stills. Built in 32gb memory @16 mega pixels and also takes SD cards.
You can use any combo (ie built in or card memory) for either stills or video.

A really tough test for any video work ie lighting and sound, Pity about the photographer

On board cruise ship

UInfortunatly You tube doesn't show the best quality, its far better seeing direct

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Pat, I agree that Canon are still ahead of Nikon for video work. I also think that the 5DIII is a superior camera to the D800 unless you're in the studio all the time or have to crop really heavily.

For what it's worth, Pat, I agree that Canon are still ahead of Nikon for video work. I also think that the 5DIII is a superior camera to the D800 unless you're in the studio all the time or have to crop really heavily.

It's one of the issues with Nikon.... aside from the D4, which is ridiculous money, the D800 is the 'top level' camera with video functionality but it's far from perfect when you look at it solely from a video POV As cameras. For the catalogue/advert stuff I shoot and the outdoorsy stuff, I reckon the D800 will be amazing in terms of detail captured. But it's not lightning quick.... I'm not convinced the 5D3 is the camera for me though; the D800 and the 5D3 might be in the same sector but it's like comparing cooking apples with Granny Smiths IMO...

I was looking at the D600/D610 as the alternative but just wasn't sure... the clumped AF points put me off for stills use.

This is a decision I have to live with for a long time and work with what I choose on a day-to-day basis. I've never once regretted my decision to go with a D7000 for video and stills... it's a camera that generally excels in everything I ask of it, even if there are slight compromises to be made. But this is different gravy; I want to create a system that I can use with ease, a system that will match my expectations in terms of performance and quality, and a system that I won't outgrow as my video skills progress further.

I'm beginning to think that a dedicated video camera (like an XF100) to sit alongside a video-enabled DSLR is going to give me best of both worlds.

I hate decisions like this :(

I think that if you are doing a lot for video work a dedicated cameras for it makes sense - if for no other reason than not to put too much strain on the sensor of your still camera. I'd suggest getting out and having a play with the cameras you're considering.

And on a more important note, you didn't take me fishing, you git!

I'd recommend a video camera.

Read the OP's post properly.

My job is producing media for my company, creating video content relating to products and tutorial videos to help ‘sell’ the brand to punters. There’s also a heavy still prescence

And on a more important note, you didn't take me fishing, you git!

Guilty as charged :D We will get it sorted at some point....

I think that if you are doing a lot for video work a dedicated cameras for it makes sense - if for no other reason than not to put too much strain on the sensor of your still camera. I'd suggest getting out and having a play with the cameras you're considering.

I'm thinking less so about the strain on the sensor, although it is a consideration for sure - more about the benefits of having better built-in audio handling, AF, exposure monitoring....

Last edited:
Still makes sense to go and handle the cameras, Pat. For what it's worth I think Canon have slightly improved their menu system too, but I get your reluctance.

Next spring for the fishing then. Too chuffin' cold now. :)

Still makes sense to go and handle the cameras, Pat. For what it's worth I think Canon have slightly improved their menu system too, but I get your reluctance.

Next spring for the fishing then. Too chuffin' cold now. :)

Yeah, just gotta find somewhere that holds several different video cameras in stock. I have an acquaintance that has a 5D3 so I'll bother him for a quick handle of his equipment ;)

The question is: which one?

The XF100 seems okay but the fact it uses CF cards isn't an attractive option for many reasons.

At that level in the market, you're probably stuck with either CF cards or something proprietary like SxS or P2.

I have a Panasonic AC90 which would be similar but newer than the xf100 and has better low light shooting. It takes dual SD cards for immediate back up.

The picture quality is great in good light but the 5D destroys it in low light and shallow DOF.

At that level in the market, you're probably stuck with either CF cards or something proprietary like SxS or P2.

CF cards are far too expensive and I'd rather have a collection of SD cards for use across all camera kit...think I'll have to dig a bit deeper :)

I have a Panasonic AC90 which would be similar but newer than the xf100 and has better low light shooting. It takes dual SD cards for immediate back up.

The picture quality is great in good light but the 5D destroys it in low light and shallow DOF.

Just had a look at the reviews of the AC90 on YT; looks like a decent performer... fast lens, good IQ, dual SD slots. It the noise horrendous? Didn't look that bad in the 1080 footage. The reviews all say about the ease-of-use in focussing and zoom being good thanks to the rings around the lens. Is exposure handling good? Manual adjustments option available for exposure?

Last edited:
In good light/outdoors its a great little camera and its easy enough control exposure with one of the three rings. Compared to other similar camcorders and older high end video cameras the low light capability is good but its nowhere near the quality of a 5dmkiii. If you've never used a 5d before then you would be perfectly happy with the ac90 as it delivers high quality video in good lighting conditions. If you are doing tutorial or product videos then you control the lighting so an ac90 is ideal. First dance at a wedding is not so good though!!

The first mistake you made was going down the Nikon route for video
With all due respect, D800 shoots fantastic video.

The look of video that you'll get from an xf100/xf300 is fairly different, but you can cut together very neatly - tbh, for the kind of videos that I think you do, and simply because shooting with SLRs is, despite everything, a bit of a faff - a dedicated camcorder will make your life easier - but you do lose some of the slr look (not necessarily a bad thing)

I own and rent out an xf100, and it's a fantastic camera - I use the xf300/5 a lot too, and if you can stretch the extra bit to get an xf300 (I saw one going for 2200 the other day used) then it does make life easier having the additional ring, and also size for if you need to go handheld for anything. Compact flash cards are the cheap option in the video world ;) two 32gb cards is only like £140, not the greatest expense. You'll also want a decent tripod, no matter what camera you're buying.

If you're looking at smaller, consumer or prosumer camcorders, the sony nx30 is very very impressive, and has absolutely astonishing image stablisation.

Only other thing I'd suggest is that frankly every lighting cameraman should have a gopro or two, and the relevant accessories for what they shoot (in your case probably a floaty back...) - just for versatile, additional shots.

Audio gear, the Sennheiser radio mics are the industry base level standard, but sure the sonys are fine too, albeit maybe a tad more fragile. If you're getting a 'real camera' then you don't need to fart about with external recorders and the like - far simpler. As a backup, you can always jack a lav mic straight into a D800's port.

LED panels, avoid the cheapest ebay ones - I'm a big fan of the F&V panels, way better built and better CRI too. You can get them at reduced cost on ebay, from china.

Staff Edit: To remove a swear filter replacement word

Last edited by a moderator:
Back