Having a crack at levitation

well they don't look like they jumped in the air and you caught it, as i cant see hair and dress all over the place, so please tell how you done this? :)

It's a lot more obvious he is off the ground than her...great location....

Guessing you took two images and photoshopped out the chair/ladders/stool...

Indeed! Is important you lock exposure and focus too. I think Helps u can't see her feet with the illusion of levitation

thoughts?
Nice idea. The crop is a little uncomfortable though (e.g. too much empty space to the left) and she probably would need a bit of a back/rim-light to separate her from the background.

ok here is my step by step, hope it helps you guys.

1. you will need - camera - a remote trigger and either natural light or studio lights - no flash ( i find it hard to get the same exposure every time with one) a stool of similar .

2. go to your location and place the stool(s) where you want them to be.

3. focus on the edge of the stool and take a test shot.

July 16, 2013The lady in the lake-1004 by dark mavis, on Flickr
If your happy with the exposure and focusing (i prefer a wider arp here but thats just me) first lock the exposure on your camera, we dont want changes between shots, then pop your camera lens to manual. then mark on the floor where your stool is so you can place it exactly where it was

4. now retake your shot with nothing in the shot , this will be the bottom layer on the photoshop document (on mine you can see adam, no matter because hes no where near where i will be exposing.

July 16, 2013The lady in the lake-1006 by dark mavis, on Flickr
5. once you have that shot, set up your stool(s) and place your models and squeeze a few off.

July 16, 2013The lady in the lake-1015 by dark mavis, on Flickr

now head off to your computer and pop the 2 images on top of each other, then cut out what you dont need from the front image (the one with the models on) once your happy flatten the image then save!

NOTE: do not edit the shot until you have got your finished image, it cuts down on artefacts.

bingo!
July 16, 2013The lady in the lake-1008-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg by dark mavis, on Flickr

Brilliant.

I guess that was how you did it, done some myself here is one, but this need a bit more work as in she is taken with two shots not one, plus empty shot
5957786245_420981d2b6_o.jpg

Really nice shot, location and the the way each of you are dressed work fantastically as well, must try this with my gf at some point

To OP

I think you need to put her feet back in the emphasise the floating bit, but I do like the shot

Excellent mate, and thank you very much for the how to.

Think its beyond me but I'll give it a whirl at some stage

Back