Beginner Having a go street photography...

Name
Connor
Edit My Images
No
I've always wanted to have a go at street photography but being inexperienced I never felt confident
in my ability to get a decent exposure and my early attempts were dismal so i tried my hand at other
types of photography to 'learn the craft' so to speak. So now I feel a little more able and better
equipped (I recently upgraded from a 400D with kit lens to a 77D with a 50mm 1.8) I thought i'd
have another crack at street photography...

49236814853_135311ec3e_c.jpg

49237509452_fe34160dfe_c.jpg

49237509017_73b3cf1505_c.jpg

Now, being honest here, these were the only photos that survived from around 20 photos taken on a
quick walk around town last night and this was my second attempt having had a go in the daytime
and not finding much inspiration.
I found that I had a new issue that cropped up which wasn't camera related at all :eek: with it being a
Tuesday evening town was really quiet and the best photo ops i saw were through the windows of
the many busy cafes/restaurants or of people sat outside (madness in December! :wacky:) but i felt
extremely self conscious as there werent many people milling around i felt like i stuck out like a sore
thumb and taking photos of people through windows seemed so unnatural to me. I have watched
MANY youtubers doing exactly what i was attempting without a care in the world and had i taken a
few more seconds to get the exposures right i could have snagged a half dozen really nice images
of groups/couples enjoying coffee/wine and even a hookah with all the really cool Christmas
lighting up and cool signage/window dressing. Alas all my attempts were rushed and i either mis-
focussed or had hand wobble from trying to snap shot too quickly before another person came
along :banghead:
I am thinking about buying a mirrorless camera like maybe a Fuji XT100/XT20 for street photography
as it would maybe a little less obvious? All i know is it felt weird and probably made me look
weirder as i was trying hard to be inconspicuous lol I mean it is weird right? At one point i passed
two polish guys sitting outside a cafe talking and they looked really cool and im pretty sure i could
have gotten a good photo of them but i felt that i should ask first but then the opportunity of the
candid feel would have been missed?
I'm definitely going to stick with it though because I definitely enjoy the experience and I definitely
felt as though there is a lot of potential I just need to learn how to get around that awkwardness...
I'm definitely no Bruce Gilden thats for sure :snaphappy::LOL:

Last edited:
Back