Hawk with prey

Well spotted and captured David:clap::clap: Exposed really well considering it is under the canopy of the Tree`s, any idea what make and model it is? :D

Well spotted and captured David:clap::clap: Exposed really well considering it is under the canopy of the Tree`s, any idea what make and model it is? :D

Thank you
I was told by a good friend that rehabilitates raptors that it is a juvenile Red Tailed hawk....Teenager maybe that's why I got attitude, no respect for there elders :)

Great capture David, well done.

It looks like a red tailed hawk (aka chicken hawk) quite common and widespread across the USA.

Great capture David, well done.

It looks like a red tailed hawk (aka chicken hawk) quite common and widespread across the USA.

Graham I have never seen a Read Tailed in Florida but we do have a lot of Red shouldered hawks. Please don't ask me what the difference is. This one was taken in Oregon. I do have a couple of Red shoulder ones lets see if I can add one

Graham I have never seen a Read Tailed in Florida but we do have a lot of Red shouldered hawks. Please don't ask me what the difference is. This one was taken in Oregon. I do have a couple of Red shoulder ones lets see if I can add one

'Tis indeed a Red tail Hawk (y)
As to it being a juvenile, quite possibly, the only real way to tell is to look at
the train (tail) it goes red after the 1st moult, as an eyas though its just brown.
I must admit that Florida does seem a little southerly for the red tail
(but I will check with a falconry friend in SD on that)
Edit
the ****ing things are everywhere
So I guess that they are not that uncommon

The red Shouldered hawks (Buteo lineatus)
are about half the size
of the Red tails (Buteo jamaicensis)
These being around 2lb for the male and around 3lb for the females.

Nicely caught (y)

Last edited:
'Tis indeed a Red tail Hawk (y)
As to it being a juvenile, quite possibly, the only real way to tell is to look at
the train (tail) it goes red after the 1st moult, as an eyas though its just brown.
I must admit that Florida does seem a little southerly for the red tail
(but I will check with a falconry friend in SD on that)
Edit
So I guess that they are not that uncommon

The red Shouldered hawks (Buteo lineatus)
are about half the size
of the Red tails (Buteo jamaicensis)
These being around 2lb for the male and around 3lb for the females.

Nicely caught (y)

I was told by the professor at the rehab center that the Red tails yellow eye and the band on the waste was not yet complete is what made it a juvi.
The Red shouldered hawks are very common in Fl. I have photographed three in my back garden and on 3 occasions and seen one attempt to take 1/ a rabbit 2/ a squirrel and once came home to find a pile of dove feathers in the back garden.

I once saw 2 of them attempting to take a snake that had managed to get under a wood fence. The hawks were sat on the fence one watching one side and the other watching the other side, no I did not have my camera with me :crying:.

For the last two springs I have seen a pair in a field behind the house flying around and calling in what seems to be a mating thing but to far away to get a photo.

I was told by the professor at the rehab center that the Red tails yellow eye and the band on the waste was not yet complete is what made it a juvi.

Quite possibly, I've not really looked at it in those terms I only have captive bred ( in the UK)
ones that I have flown "to rely on", and the way we tell those is as above with the bright red tail :)
And thats an Interesting aside to their (RSH) behaviour thanks for posting (y)

The red tails are Jack of all trades too
mine have taken rabbits hares, pheasant a snake a frog oh and a plastic bag
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back