Haytor Sunset

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
Hi all! :wave:

I am very new to taking photography seriously - would like to do much more of it so looking for some feedback on how to improve :)

This is probably what I would call one of my "best" shots so far, more blind luck with the timing though I expect.

Would love some C&C, be as harsh as you like! :nailbiting:

Haytor Sunset by mattlovell90, on Flickr
a>

iframe>

Last edited:
Seriously blown out that Matt and the land is still very underexposed

Try using grad filters or bracketing and blending various exposures to hold back a bright sky

For future use an ND grad to try and tame the sun for this I like the exposure levels and I would crop out the sun.

When the sun is this harsh avoid including it in the shot is my advice.

I like the concept of the image, the silhouetted people against the land, the slight lens flare but the burnt out sun does distract a bit and the image would be better if some detail had remained there.

Too much dynamic range in the scene for the camera to cope with, hence the blown sun and underexposed land.
ND grads and/or bracketing as suggested above would help.

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. Thought the sun would be the main problem, I have some ND grads, just need to get to grips with them! I have also been playing with bracketing - Nick, when you say blending exposures that is essentially HDR, though perhaps not in the common, over dramatic sense? Just blend to retain details in the sky and land?

Back