Hazy faint rear screen D300 fix possibly

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
This could actually apply to all DSLR cameras I suppose. It is quite predominant with the Nikon D300 having researched it and seen other Nikon D300 owners have had/have the same issue . From what I can gather weather temperature change causes over a long time (months/years) the rear screen to go faint although the photos are ok. I thought to myself "oh well had it a long time is it worth keeping".

Being sentimenal old git I didn't want to part with it then again didn't want to spend £s getting the problem sorted. Then I came upon this trick which I am trying out. After only 24 hours the rear screen is getting a lot clearer.
So what I found out is using Silica gell sachets. So put the camera without the lens cap into a sealable plastic bag with some gell packs. Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the camersa and gells inside. The vacuum inside together with the gells draw out and catches moisture in the camera body.
As I said I have only tried it so far for 24 hours checking every so often no air has got back inside the plastic bag.

So far I can no see the rear screen a lot clearer in daylight where as before I had to go indoors to see it in a darker area, so it looks as if the trick is working

Last edited:
The chances are some time in an airing cupboard may have the same effect (providing it's warm).

Back in my electronics repair/servicing days, I'd often dry battery operated things this way that had accidentally had water spilt on them (as long as you're quick enough to get the batteries out).

Whilst living in Africa, a girlfriend kicked my cellphone into the swimming pool (accidentally). I grabbed it quickly off the bottom and separated the battery. The battery was toast, but the phone was OK after three days drying on a window sill.

HI Trevor
No doubt there are other was to mine as well. As for putting it in an airing cupboard I can hear "er indoors" saying "what on earth is this doing in my airing cupboard? get it out"

• Haha
Reactions: Sky
It is quite predominant with the Nikon D300 having researched it and seen other Nikon D300 owners have had/have the same issue ......

thank you - something else to worry about............................................ :thinking:

John

Don't worry too much about it, I have had my D300 since March 2009 new and only just really noticed what was happening and the "fix" seems to be working at no cost.I only mentioned the D300 because that was what I was researching, might happen to any camera.

Last edited:
Update

Had the Nikon D300 in a silica bag for a few weeks and now not perfect but loads better . Below at least now see what is in the rear screen picture. At least saved a trip for overhaul. So the silica trick works

DSC_2343a.JPG

Last edited:
Update

Had the Nikon D300 in a silica bag for a few weeks and now not perfect but loads better . Below at least now see what is in the rear screen picture. At least saved a trip for overhaul. So the silica trick works

View attachment 294710

Nice one.

Back