HDD partition

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
I have just bought Vista ultimate to put on 2 laptops and one PC (3 licence OEM bought with some new memory)

On the first installaation I thought I had formatted the disk and got rid of the partition containing the original Vista home premium backup software but it is still there, does anyone know how to partition a Toshiba drive to its full capacity before I move onto the next laptop(y)

when I were a lad and woodbines were 2d for 20
you'd use good old FDISK to delete and create partitions
these days try disk manager
right click MyPC - manage...

Oh I checked and it can do it
You simply run diskmgmt.msc (disk manager) and delete the D: volume provided it is not designated as the system volume. Then expand C: to encompass the free space. However:

- If D: is designate as the system volume, you will need to do a boot
recovery by booting the Vista disk and running the recovery console.

- If D: is not immediately located after C: as seen in disk manager, you
will need a third party partitioning utility to manipulate (slide) the
volumes so that the resulting free space it. A volume can only be extended to free space after it, not before it.

Managed to rid the partition of the Toshiba stuff and all the bundled junk ....now gotta find my drivers lol mainly my ethernet so I can connect to my network doh ... it gets better every minute

EDIT this is ultimate 64 will the drivers from my backup work or should I download them and put these on the laptop

You may need 64bit drivers yeah, but on modern machines it shouldn't have much of an issue in auto detecting ethernet etc.

Still, doesn't hurt to be safe - at the very least get hold of the 64bit display and network drivers.

I am now having issues finding the 64bit drivers and as it is not recognising the ethernet card it cant connect to update doh

do you know what the card is?

Yes its a realtek but at the min Im reinstalling vista but this time as 32bit to see if this resolves the driver issues and maybe upgrade it to 64 later

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

Just going back to your original question.... When you carry out the install there is a screen which asks you which hard drive you want to install the operating system on, at this point there is an advanced options button at the bottom of this screen. If you click it it will then give you more options to format the drive so that you have a clean install.

I must admit it took me two go's at it to figure this out as I too wanted to rid everything off the drive before installing Vista.

I know you have sorted it now but thought I would point this out for yours and others benefit in case it is an issue in the future.

Cheers

Pete,

Just going back to your original question.... When you carry out the install there is a screen which asks you which hard drive you want to install the operating system on, at this point there is an advanced options button at the bottom of this screen. If you click it it will then give you more options to format the drive so that you have a clean install.

I must admit it took me two go's at it to figure this out as I too wanted to rid everything off the drive before installing Vista.

I know you have sorted it now but thought I would point this out for yours and others benefit in case it is an issue in the future.

Cheers

Thanks Paul I just used my old Maxtor partition disk to get rid of the partition and let vista set its own full size

I am trying to boot it to the backup disks I did with all the Toshiba junk on and it gets halfway through and does nowt it just stops yet if I do a clean install from a windows disk it seems fine apart from not finding the wifi card or not switching it on.
Its currently on a USB keyboard as the original one is UA but once its got windows on all seems to work apart from wifi and I dont want to spend 20quid on a new kb if its not gonna work (even though I know the kb is knackered) so any more help greatly appreciated as the lappy is only 8 month old and cost me £600 so I dont want to bin it

*EDIT* its now working ....its on DVD 2 so hopefully it will be back up n running as original

The wifi icon has just been flashing on and off and it came up on the screen realtek 8101 installed for a second so looks like it may be working but only with original software

Right its working spot on on its original setup but wifi isnt detected so either its a card failure or ...... it went south with the keyboard and really I havent got a clue about taking laptops to bits as they are too fiddly......Eileens son had a go at the memory case with a knife but I stopped him before he could get in as he is a Soldier and if he couldnt blow his way in out came the bayonet case marked but no damage done lol apart from 2 yr warranty up the spout....can anyone fix it for me as it just will not connect to tinterweb but it did before I installed ultimate

Please someone must know this laptop and how to get it working again properly otherwise its ebay for it....... as parts........:(

Have you gone into the device manager and checked that its there?

I have had issues in the past with Toshiba laptops and getting the wireless drivers to work, same with HP, as they have so many different drivers available. If the wireless is not showing in the device manager download all the different drivers from the Toshiba website and go through them one by one until it sees the device and installs it.

Dont sell it or get rid, its not knackered....pretty sure it is just a driver issue which can be solved with a bit of patience. Failing that my mate has a laptop repair company who can quote to repair it for you so if you dont get it sorted then I will give you their details.

Cheers

Paul

Have you gone into the device manager and checked that its there?

I have had issues in the past with Toshiba laptops and getting the wireless drivers to work, same with HP, as they have so many different drivers available. If the wireless is not showing in the device manager download all the different drivers from the Toshiba website and go through them one by one until it sees the device and installs it.

Dont sell it or get rid, its not knackered....pretty sure it is just a driver issue which can be solved with a bit of patience. Failing that my mate has a laptop repair company who can quote to repair it for you so if you dont get it sorted then I will give you their details.

Cheers

Yes it just keeps up coming up with the realtek ethernet card and on it is a yellow triangle :shrug:

Paul

well the realtek ethernet card is not the wireless device and the yellow triangle means that it too needs the drivers.

Whats the model number? of the laptop that is

its PSLC0E-00C00DEN all Os are zeros its working spot on apart from the ethernet card and the keyboard which I know needs replacing

Is it the Toshiba Sat L300 then?

If I remember rightly sometimes you have to install the PCI drivers or the Bios drivers.

Anyway just go to the toshiba site here and then select your model and the OS and then download all the drivers on another computer if you can. Then work your way through the list and install all the essential ones i.e. not the utility software drivers etc.

This should sort it out really. If that fails then as mentioned I will put you in touch with someone I know who is spot on with laptop repairs.

Paul I am on my main PC and have tried different driver downloads to get it working ....if this works you are a star mate

Back