HDD Passwords

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, when I turn on my old laptop it asks for a HDD password. Can anyone tell me how to find out what this is? Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 2450.
Thanks

The computer has not been used for a couple of years and never needed a password before.

If its the BIOS password the easiest way to reset it is to pull the CMOS battery - you'll need to open the case though but as its an older laptop I'm guessing its out of warranty anyways - leave it a few minutes then put battery back in and all should be sorted.

If you check the settings once you've done it there are usually 3 options for passwords in the BIOS settings:
NONE - No password ever needed
SETUP - Password required only to enter the BIOS settings screen
STARTUP - Password required whenever machine gets switched on

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It should work, if not, there are other solutions including reset to factory settings- but the hard drive is wiped.

A common bios password for Toshiba technicians is apparently 'Toshiba' or 'TOSHIBA'.

Last edited:
You could remove the HDD and connect it via USB to another PC, save what you need before thinking about a full reinstall.

The chances are without being used for used for years, the CMOS battery is dead and you'll need to setup the bios before it'll work again.

Last edited:
Back