HDD power on hours

Name
Andrius
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

what is your oldest HDD you running atm? Been checking all my HDD's (eight of them) conencted to PC and one 1TB Seagate Barracuda (ST31000524AS) has done over 30000 hours, perfectly healty, no bad sectors.
It's the only one non Western Digital drive I have (most are WD RED's, few Black's, one GREEN and 1 BLUE).

I'm sure older drives I have some done well over 40000 hours (but those drives disconnected as most of them 500GB size and I don't keep smaller drives than 1TB in PC now) but they perfectly healthy too.

So just wondering what's your current oldest HDD :)

seagate HDD.JPG

30000 hours would equal to around 3.5 years (at 24/7/365)

can we see some screenshots what hours you have, want to see some 40000+

:)

I have used CrystalDiskInfo v7.0.5 for checking power on hours, if someone not sure how to check it :)

Got some Western Digital Greens (WD10EADS) which had been continuously on for ~5 years until a month or two ago. They had ridiculous load cycle counts due to their overly aggressive power saving optimisations and yet showed no signs of failure.
They started life in a pair of external hard drives, were switched into a backup NAS box and then made it into my home server.

Unfortunately whilst they are still in the server chassis, I disconnected them a while back so I can't get any current stats.

will need to try find and connect WD 500GB i had since 2005-2006 (until few years ago). wonder how many power on hours it has now :)

haven't got much old stuff anymore, my pc and laptops have SSDs.
only my HP Microserver in the celler has 4x2TB WD red drives about 2.5 years old.
one recently failed and was replaced by WD under warranty.
luckily I had raid 5 with a hot spare setup.

Shame I don't have my old home mail server any more, which was a Dell Optiplex with a 90MHz pentium that ran Debian potato for about a decade, always using the same (IDE) hard disk and on 24/7, usually only rebooted by Western power distribution.

Back