HDEW Cameras.

Edit My Images
No
Well after being robbed of 7K worth of kit in Germany last month, I need to replace my 300mm F2.8 and one of my 1D MKIV's

Having read a few threads on the web I decided to contact HDEW Cameras. I was initially very cautious and asked Shaun many questions by email. So after 5 or 6 emails and a phone call directly I have decided to spend £5,000 with them on the new generation 300mm F2.8 from Canon.

Why am I telling you all this? Well if like me you are hesitant I thought this thread might assist you. I intend to keep you all posted as my order progresses on how things are going. I figured not many people will be making a 5k purchase as a first go so this might give some prospective buyers my experience as it progresses so that they can hopefully feel some comfort in doing so.

At this moment in time my order is being processed and I had been advised I will have my lens by the end of next week. I will keep you all posted as it progresses.

Am I nervous? you bet I am.

I welcome any thoughts or experiences in this thread.

p.s. I hope I haven't broken any of the many rules on here by posting this thread. I am forever upsetting the mods on here by trying to be involved :shrug:

Last edited:
Sounds constructive enough to me and thanks for helping out :)

I ordered a canon 7d from them. It arrived within 1 week, so if anyone is wondering whether they are a real company - they definitely do deliver. Having said that the item was a US import with a travel adapter, when I called Canon to ask about this they told me such practice is not allowed and could potentially be illegal due to differences in electrical requirements in the UK. They also warned me that should the item break down within the first year that its unlikely I can get it repaired under warranty with Canon directly. Although I decided to keep the camera and take my chances, I won't be back to buy more equipment in the future. The phone call I had with Canon did seem like Hdew cameras were on their radar for "strange" practices.

My 80-200 f2.8 came from them too. All good. :)

I ordered a canon 7d from them. It arrived within 1 week, so if anyone is wondering whether they are a real company - they definitely do deliver. Having said that the item was a US import with a travel adapter, when I called Canon to ask about this they told me such practice is not allowed and could potentially be illegal due to differences in electrical requirements in the UK. They also warned me that should the item break down within the first year that its unlikely I can get it repaired under warranty with Canon directly. Although I decided to keep the camera and take my chances, I won't be back to buy more equipment in the future. The phone call I had with Canon did seem like Hdew cameras were on their radar for "strange" practices.

Thats typical scare tactics from canon. I don't buy cameras on grey. Lenses (or anything without a plug) I'm game

Thanks for the report. I was just searching for more info on them as I'm looking to spend a few ££ on new lenses. They seem very cheap but not as dodgy looking as some of the sites out there haha

Recently bought my Nikon D700 with them, delivery and service excellent!

Update:
The lenses have now shipped and I am told will be with me before noon tomorrow. Canon have also very kindly lent me a 1DX for next week's Lemans Endurance Race at Donington.
Note to self: You cannot like this camera. ;)

LOL, I'm eyeing them up for a 7D perhaps in the summer, grey import but most of my cameras have been, 3 year warranty with them, not sure how reliable that is but I've heard good things about them from a number of sources

Items were delivered today as promised. Small problem. I was not there! My neighbour now has 2 boxes for me when I get home. I just dont know which neighbour ;)

Ok boxes open and goods inspected (I think the 300mm outer box may have been opened to inspect the lens before shipping but one this is certain. The lens had not been fully unpacked. All is good in the hood. Spent over 5 grand blind and am very very happy with the level of service and communication provided by these guys. Looking forward to using them again.

A friend of mine has bought a 7D last year and had a 5D mk111 arrive today from HDEW. He has been pleased with the service on both purchases.

Bought my camera from them - not in the same league as yours mind - had no troubles and they provide their own warranty + protection via sale of goods act. I'm happy.

I bought a Canon 7D from HDEW a few weeks ago

Plug adaptor and photocopied manual (which they did tell me would be the case)

3 year warranty and superb price

Really quick delivery (from Hong Kong) and good comms throughout

I for one am delighted with the whole experience and would not hesitate to use again

I bought a 5D2 and 24-105 f4 L kit off Hdew last november, mainly as I got a 3 year warranty and it was based in the UK, but I got it at a great price too, which helps. About 2 weeks after the 5D3 was released I ordered one of those too, again from Hdew, and again for a great price (at the time). They even put it on a saturday delivery with RMSD at no extra cost because they knew I needed it for the sunday. Altogether, it came to somewhere around £5K but I know I can trust them. Great service both times and I highly recommend them to anyone.

I bought a 7d from them last week, i'd been looking at digital rev when i stumbled across them.

The body arrived in about 5 days, as others have said it comes with a uk adapter and a photocopied manual but for the price i'm very happy.

I was just online, they dont have any canon 70-200 lenses showing anymore, anyone know the score?

I was just online, they dont have any canon 70-200 lenses showing anymore, anyone know the score?

A wee bump to see if anyone has more info on the lack of 70-200s.

I could be in the market for one as early as tomorrow. :help:

Purchased a 60D with lenses and a load of other bits from them in February, prices were brilliant and so was the service, could not recommend them highly enough in my experience.

Just bought a 24-105mm F4 L from HDEW and received a great service. Ordered Tuesday afternoon and arrived Thursday morning which was faster than I was expecting. Great price too (y)

Is everything shipped from hong kong? Dont you have to pay import taxes? I thought that only happened with cheap orders.

No import taxes as it is shipped to you from the UK. My lens came in the white box, so it has been split from a kit, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

LOL, I'm eyeing them up for a 7D perhaps in the summer, grey import but most of my cameras have been, 3 year warranty with them, not sure how reliable that is but I've heard good things about them from a number of sources

got my 7D today
fully boxed, adaptor for the charger, reprinted manual, cheaper than HDEW but the same company really, good service and delivered exactly when stated.
very pleased

A couple of things about HDEW: they have an office in Croydon so there is a UK presence. They supply VAT invoices with the kit so they are trading in the UK and VAT registered

That's really important if you are VAT registered - there's lots of cheap kit in eBay but most of the companies are not VAT registered so, while you may be getting a "great price", you can't claim the VAT back. With HDEW that's not an issue

I can't remember if I checked their VAT number for validity - knowing me I probably did

Nick Froome

The VAT number is legit and traces back to their address.

Thank you so much for this thread. I've been looking to buy a D7000 with them and the price seemed to good to be true.

I emailed them to see What they would be like and looked for reviews.

Need to get finances sorted and then a new DSLR for me! :)

When I ordered my 5D3 from them on Tuesday last week the price had just dropped to £2259 from £2299, so I made a nice little saving there. Delivery took a few days as they were out of stock and I received the camera on Monday this week. The following day the price dropped by a further £80, to £2179. I emailed them on Wednesday to ask about a refund of the difference and there was no problem with that. Today (Friday) the refund came through.

HDEW Cameras - nice people to do business with. (y)

Ooops, ignore this, just realised there's a thread about it (big reduction of their Canon stock).

Great first post eh ? :D

Last edited:
Like most people here that have replied I have ordered a lens from these guys before and was delighted with the service. Was kept informed throughout and delivery was slightly quicker than indicated when order was placed.

Got a 7d from them no problems at all a pleasure to trade with. yours gwh

I ordered a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM lens on a Thursday and it was delivered on the following Tuesday. I was informed that I would get an email when it was dispatched and then it would be delivered the day after by 12pm (noon?). I got my email Monday and it arrived at 7.30am Tuesday. It may have foreign origins, not sure, but it works perfectly, well packaged, about £270 cheaper than Amazon and so far I am very impressed and highly delighted with the service and promises made. On this one experience I would definitely buy again from this company. What convinced me the most before I decided to buy (nervously) from HDEW is that they have been around since 1993 in the UK and not a recently set up warehouse, of goods that have yet to be imported, by people who can't be seen.

I just bought an EF 24-70 2.8L MKII.

This is the 4th lens purchased thought them. Paid by BT on Friday afternoon, email confirmations all the way and delivered this morning. Price was £1759 am UK VAT registered and they provided me with a VAT receipt which means it cost me £1465!

Another happy hassle free transaction!

Just purchased a Canon 100mm f2.8L is macro. Ordered Tuesday morning arrived this morning, Friday. Very pleased with it. Invoice was included but didn't have a VAT number or VAT breakdown on it. I didn't ask for a VAT receipt though. Ken.

Back