HDEW or Panamoz

Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies for another thread about grey imports. I'm 60 in a few days time and would like to treat myself and upgrade my Canon 6D Mk2 for a Canon R5. Even with the current Canon cash back offers I'd be hundreds of pounds better off using either HDEW or Panamoz.

However, Panamoz are a further £260 cheaper than HDEW for the camera and adaptor for the EOS lenses. But HDEW have a physical shop in the south of England which kind of reassures me. I believe they also use a shop in Glasgow for any warranty issues, which seems easier than returning an item to Hong Kong etc. Hopefully there would be no issues and I'd never use the warranty, and I know that both companies have a great reputation for customer service. But, just in case!

So, basically, should I go with HDEW who offer a great price and warranty cover in the UK, or should I save an extra £260, which is still a lot of money, and go with Panamoz? I'd be interested to hear what people on here think please. Thank you very much.

I’ve used both companies and they have both been excellent
if I remember correctly both of them use UK repair places

I believe they also use a shop in Glasgow for any warranty issues, which seems easier than returning an item to Hong Kong etc.
You won't have to return to Panamoz for any warranty issues, they will pay for it to be repaired in the UK.
3-year transferrable warranty too. :)

As above posts both use UK repair centres, I would email Panamoz before buying and ask (nicely :) if any further discount possible, they usually refund £30 to £50ish after purchase- within a few hours

I bought my M5 from HDEW, it was in my hands within 3 days. I also had to use their warranty and it was absolutely no quibble. I was without the camera for just 5 days and they do indeed use a UK repairer.

I can't comment on Panamoz, never used them but if I were to ever buy grey again, it would be HDEW. I think they are slightly cheaper too.

Panamoz, HDEW don’t have a shop it’s a tiny office, I’ve been there. HDEW don’t usually carry stock either you pay them then they order it from HK, you might as well cut out the middle man and buy direct from Panamoz, their reputation is superb.

It’s also worth keeping a close eye on UK deals and/or trying to haggle them down, my last 3 purchases from UK dealers have been cheaper than grey on Sigma, Tamron and Sony.

I bought my R5 from Panamoz and it developed a fault, main board, contacted H.Lehmann for estimate. I emailed Panamoz and by return I had a payment in me bank account for the payment of the repair.

Have ordered from both a few times much more so Panamoz.

Not sure if this is still the case or not, but HDEW used to be able to provide a V.A.T invoice which was good if you are registered, Panamoz can not. HDEW may no longer provide one either seems to be a little uncertainty around this now.

Panamoz are excellent when it comes to sorting things when they go wrong. Even sorted out a camera body for me that was 2 years and 11 months old, under their 3 year warranty. Simply had to provide them with a quote for repair and they sent me a payment to cover the cost within a couple of hours.

Haven't bought from HDEW in a good long time as they no longer carry my brands but when I did they took nothing to do with warranty issues themselves but provided a warranty through a third party company which they paid for, never had to use the third party companies service so not sure how good or bad they are. Personally I didn't like that this was how they did things as would prefer personally to deal with the company I purchased from.

Someone above mentioned that HDEW do not carry stock and it is basically a drop shipping service just like with Panamoz with the difference just being that HDEW have an office in the U.K. This was not my experience, when I used HDEW some items were carried as stock but the vast majority had to be ordered from China. Panmaoz also have a U.K office (well not really) they have someone based in the U.K to deal with customer service issues who works from home.

Like with all grey market companies you pay your money and you take your chance. Panamoz could close up shop tomorrow morning and everyone's warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on but the same could apply to any of them and Panamoz has been around for a long time now.

All things considered if it was a choice between the 2 personally I would choose Panamoz.

Thanks again everyone, I'm very grateful for all advice. It looks like Panamoz for the extra saving for me. Cheers!

I've always check the price on both and gone with the cheapest. Sometimes HDEW get my business and sometimes Panamoz do.
HDEW may have a presence in the UK but the gear is still grey.

Luckily I've never had to deal with warranty issues by either of them but I've never heard of a bad experience from either.

My last two purchases from HDEW were packed in single layer corrugated cardboard boxes and both were battered. When I asked about improving the packing after the first one, the second one came with a few bis oof styrofoam that made the box more vulnerable and it was also battered. I probably won't use them next time. When I talked about it, they blamed the Post Office delivery people in my area - there's are the only bashed packages we have had since living here. So it is cheaper for them to claim on the insurance than pack well. My wife has had tea bags arrive in better boxes!

My last two purchases from HDEW were packed in single layer corrugated cardboard boxes and both were battered. When I asked about improving the packing after the first one, the second one came with a few bis oof styrofoam that made the box more vulnerable and it was also battered. I probably won't use them next time. When I talked about it, they blamed the Post Office delivery people in my area - there's are the only bashed packages we have had since living here. So it is cheaper for them to claim on the insurance than pack well. My wife has had tea bags arrive in better boxes!
Panamoz don’t bother with any sort of packaging just stick it in a cardboard box.

Back