HDMI Cable

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at connecting my MacBook Pro to my TV. The easiest way I can see is via a HDMI cable so any recommendations on one? The other option is chromecast as I would also be streaming rugby games from Australia to my TV. My tv is not a smart tv so only had HDMI, scart etc

Any hdmi should do really. Price normally reflects build quality if anything (except the crazy price jobbies, they're generally pointless).

Personally I like the hdmi from thatcable.com, built really solid.

Oh and always spend more when running 10m or longer. Shielding performance comes into play then.

I also have a Chromecast, which can work well - I use it with Eurosport. Is the rugby from a specific app, or are these downloaded videos? I hope the standard of the TMOs in the Australian matches is higher than we had on Saturday!

I also have a Chromecast, which can work well - I use it with Eurosport. Is the rugby from a specific app, or are these downloaded videos? I hope the standard of the TMOs in the Australian matches is higher than we had on Saturday!

It's a newly launched service watchnrl.com

Wondering what would be better straight from HDMI cable or through app via chromecast.

Hardly a challenge haha

HDMI cable should just work with no hassle. Chromecast can work well if there's a decent app with Chromecast support - check reviews of their app first before forking out for a Chromecast if you don't already have one. For Eurosport, I only use the app because it's a bit more convenient than connecting up a laptop, and I already had a Chromecast.

chrome casts are ok but you have to have an active internet connection and give all your data to google.
thing about an old school HDMI cable is it will work with pretty much any new-ish telly do good on holiday or in a hotel room.

It seems like even the cheapest HDMI cables work exactly like the expensive ones and I have never had a single issue with one at all.

It was the scart cables and areal leads that you had to get really good ones.

It seems like even the cheapest HDMI cables work exactly like the expensive ones and I have never had a single issue with one at all.

not entirely true that there are newer spec cables that support features like ARC and ANYNET
not all HDMI cables are the same.

not entirely true that there are newer spec cables that support features like ARC and ANYNET
not all HDMI cables are the same.

I must have gone old, never heard of ARC or ANYNET in my life

I must have gone old, never heard of ARC or ANYNET in my life[/QUOTE

ARC is auto return for commands or something it means anything linked by ~HDMI can share common commands like power off and volume up and down.

my Samsung telly is linked to my sony AV amp with an ARC HDMI cable and it passed the sound and controls thought that so the TV remte controls power off and the amps volume.

The build tolerance gets tighter, the higher the frequency you want to transmit. SD is 270Mbps, 1080i is 1.5Gbps, 1080p is 3Gbps, UHD is 12Gbps.

By the time you get to the higher frequencies, you need well built cables.

Back