HDMI to DVI adapter - loss in quality?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

I'm on the lookout for a cheap-ish IPS monitor for image editing to hook up to my laptop. Unfortunately my laptop only has HDMI out, no DVI, and the monitor I'm keen on has DVI input only.

I have seen that you can get HDMI to DVI adapters, but I'm wondering if there will be some degradation in image quality?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Paul

No degredation.

Thanks for the very kind offer but don't worry, I'm still deliberating over which monitor to buy so will just grab one if I need one. Much appreciated though, ta!

Hdmi is basically Dvi but with sound and encryption for video content. So if your laptop had a blueray drive and you wanted to play a movie on th screen you couldnt unless you had Hdmi.

What are you going for screen-wise? I have a 2x Dell u2410 at work for 3D work but as I'm buying with my own cash I could do with something a little cheaper.

Haven't decided for sure, but it will be a cheap IPS job, most likely a Dell Ultrasharp of some kind (either the U2312 or the 2209WA), or perhaps an LG IPS235V (which doesn't have HDMI in).

All of them get good reviews, particularly the Dells. I've been going by user reviews on Amazon mainly, and there seem to be plenty of people using these for image editing that are very happy. Anything is better than the terrible screen on my laptop!

I will have a look at those. Cnet has a review of Ips displays but they all seem to be in the £400 range which is expensive for a screen but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Hdmi is basically Dvi but with sound and encryption for video content. So if your laptop had a blueray drive and you wanted to play a movie on th screen you couldnt unless you had Hdmi.

Not neccessarily, HDCP has also been implemented on DVI as well on the great majority of monitors from the past few years so theres no problem watching blurays.

There will be no degradation in quality. Does your laptop have a DisplayPort too? A passive DisplayPort to DVI adaptor could be an alternative.

Ooops, only just seen this reply, sorry. Yes, it has a mini DisplayPort as it happens - sorted! Thanks everyone.

Still deciding on the monitor itself, but I'm thinking about the Dell U2412M as it supports a resolution of 1920 x 1200, which should give quite a bit more usable workspace for editing.

They are both for digital signals so work the same, the main difference is that the HDMI will carry the sound as well,

so dont spend a fortune on cables as the cheapest one is just as good as the £50.00 cable

Back