HDR Attempt

You've obviously tried a test shot, but being honest, it's not a very good test to take a photo of a fence.

I know you're probably trying to practice the actual HDR rather than take a good uality photo, but maybe try doing both at the same time or at least go out and take a photo of a busy scene or with lots of colours and contrast to get more of a feel for how applying HDR effects a photo.

You've obviously tried a test shot, but being honest, it's not a very good test to take a photo of a fence.

I know you're probably trying to practice the actual HDR rather than take a good uality photo, but maybe try doing both at the same time or at least go out and take a photo of a busy scene or with lots of colours and contrast to get more of a feel for how applying HDR effects a photo.

I didn't explain myself properly the main aim of this test shot was to try and get detail from the snow

Good first effort Nathan, at least its not over done, so well done on that score, Look forward to more, when you go out and find interesting subjects/compositions, finding your way around new software its good to experiment with new techniques, so OK its a boring scene you had a play you did good (y)

Try a sunset, that has more layers to really bring out HDR better, or vehicles often look awesome when brought out HDR, & will provide you with plenty of work to be getting on with.:)

Good first effort Nathan, at least its not over done, so well done on that score, Look forward to more, when you go out and find interesting subjects/compositions, finding your way around new software its good to experiment with new techniques, so OK its a boring scene you had a play you did good (y)

Thanks for a positive comment, I had very little time in which to try this and I am a newbie to DSLR photography so trying a lot of different techniques.

Try a sunset, that has more layers to really bring out HDR better, or vehicles often look awesome when brought out HDR, & will provide you with plenty of work to be getting on with.:)

I do a lot of car photography so next time I see some expensive metal I will try this, If I ever get the chance I will try a sun set or I may try a countryside scene

Last edited:
Thanks for a positive comment, I had very little time in which to try this and I am a newbie to DSLR photography so trying a lot of different techniques.

I do a lot of car photography so next time I see some expensive metal I will try this, If I ever get the chance I will try a sun set or I may try a countryside scene

old rusty stuff ie tractors, farm machinery, derelict/abandoned as well, so look out for those (y)

How are you taking your shots backeting? or are they from a single raw file?

I can see what you've done here but I'm not sure that the dynamic range was there in this scene to really warrant HDR :shrug: try out what the others have already said and find a scene with plenty of dynamic range :D

Matt
MWHCVT

I can see what you where trying to achieve, however the dynamic range of snow is well....almost none existant, try using a subject like a detailed building or a nice landscape as you will see a vast improvement.
Also if merging using elements you wont have full control over tonemapping the actual image (unless your using a plugin program with it) I would suggest trying with mediachances dynamic HDR pro, there is a free version to try but does watermark your images(y)

how many exposures have you combined here..
or is it just one
cheers
geof

my camera can do upto 6 different exposure pics, what would you recomend?

set your camera on manual
then decide the correct exposure for a neutral shot
keeping the aperture constant then decide on +/- one two or three stop each side giving 3 5 or 7 exposures
i understand that this technique is for subjects with a wide range of exposure values in it in the first place
an evenly lit subject i dont feel would register much as you are under and overexposing a flat shot and not recording the correct exposure values on each exposure for the differing parts of the subject
cheers
geof

White snow and overcast sky.. there's just not enough detail at the right of the histogram to be worth the bother of HDR. At least it wasn't a shed or a car..

Make it easy on yourself, find a subject that has detail at both ends of the histogram and contains a high dynamic range (the fence shot didn't). The absolute best subject is a view through a window, stained glass in a church or a strongly backlit subject (e.g. sunset landscapes). This type of subject makes it far easier to see the benefits of the technique and refine your capture and processing.

A truly high dynamic range scene will almost always require more than 3 shots on AEB +/-2 (never +/-1, you can capture that near enough with raw). But AEB is a convenient place to start..

Find a better scene and it will be easier for you to see how it works.

(and you get 15 Brucie bonus points for not using photomatrix ;))

Last edited:
Back