Beginner HDR guidance required

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, relative newbie here and wanting to dip my toes in to trying out HDR

I have taken a few bracketed triple exposures and brought them together in Lightroom CC but I need help as to what adjustments will give me that typical HDR look

I am conscious that a heavy hand with the sliders can give me a rubbish picture but at this experimental stage I would like to be able to reproduce this look to see what combination produces it and how I can take it "close but not too far" if you see what I mean.

I have a silver MG that I am refurbishing over winter and want to experiment with it next year so time to practice now.

The shots I have taken to assist with this are old stone walls etc to give me a little contrast to start with.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

PS I also have Photoshop CC too but still very unsure of how this works but if you feel that this particular effect is best reproduced in Photoshop rather than Lightroom then I am more than happy to learn ( I need to use it more anyway )

Hi, what do you perceive as that typical HDR look?
HDR IMO has two categories (1) Over cooked awful images (2) Images that look natural.
HDR in the wrong hands can ruin images, it is ment to show an image with Highlights to Shaddows and if you go taking 3,5,or more images when HDR is not really needed you will be wasting your time both at camera and in PP.
There are loads of free tutorials on youtube on HDR.
Me I use Lightroom and http://photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php
Outside of Lightroom SNS-HDR software I found gave realistic results straight out of the can.
Russ

HDR photography, as the name suggests increases the dynamic range of a scene as some scenes have far more dynamic range than even the best cameras can capture. However, all you really want to be doing is increasing the detail in the lights and darks so that it looks like the image/scene that you saw with your eyes, and it should still look natural.

However you can of course take it to extremes and make an image look unnatural or surreal, and some people like this.

This, to me sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

The only reason HDR is 'required' is when the dynamic range is greater than the camera can handle.

If an image can be captured in a single frame, is shot raw, then there is no need for HDR.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Back