HDR: Hard Day's Riding!

Name
Adam Swords
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a recent one from me that's causing quite a stir over at www.pinkbike.com

2487011877_e5ef411af6_o.jpg

1 RAW file, 7 subsequent JPGS, Photomatix Pro, Photoshop, Web :)

I'm going to be shooting more of these, this one was literally a trial shot and I'm blown away by the amount of interest it's recieved. I'll be combining HDR and strobe lighting with these next time and hopefully get some interesting results.

Thoughts?

Really has cause a stir. A riding mate posted it on our private forums.

I liked it very much,although in my eye could be a little bit soft? especially to the left.Oh and I wasnt sure if it was straight or not.

Other wise to me great riding picture. Jealous of your skills.

Thoughts? This one would be a contender for 1st in the May TP comp (y)

I really like it (y)

We have a monthly comp here on TP, unfortunatley its been posted on the forums so you cant enter it now, thats the rule, shame that. you might have gone far :)

Edit: Beat me to it ;)

Last edited:
One of the best HDR images I have seen I think.
I guess it helps that I like this style of photo anyway, but a great example of HDR done well.

(y)

Dude, love this picture and think that it really looks amazing in HDR... You say you shot one RAW file - did you shoot for the Highlights??
You should be chuffed, this is truly a great picture... :D

Great shot and editing (y)

I looked at the comments on the other forum as well and couldn't understand some of the comments you got. I guess it is down to a lack of understanding of what you have done.

Lee, the technique is called HDR which stands for High Dynamic Range. Have a look at the wiki page for more information.

Basically it's a way to achieve 'correct' exposure for all areas of the photo, from shadows to highlights. I've then taken that image and processed it further in photoshop to bring back some of the shadow areas, but in the process it's added detail, such as in the ramp and sky.

I'm glad you like it :)

:LOL:

I meant a lack of understanding by those leaving you negative feedback, on the other forum. Not necessarily myself :)

Great shot, I tried to find the comments on pinbike but couldn't locate them, do you have a direct link?

can tell its been photoshoped a mile off, but i reckon thats what makes the pic.

well impressed

I take it you don't like HDR then???

I think some HDR shots are fantastic, nothing against it. My only crit, it seems to be the "in thing" at the moment...

I made the icon as a joke :)

And to stir ****

Gary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive tidied some of the comments in this thread as they had strayed away from the O.P's post.
Can we please keep the comments to the picture, and if you wish to air views on the processing, do so in a manner respecting the OP.
Thanks. :)

A fantastic way of showing that HDR really does work, well at least for us that like it and USE it, as said before it has its place, and it has its place in this image, if i had one issue it would be with the cars in the back ground.

HDR kicks butt..:wave:

love the photo would love to see the original as the timing/focus/comp etc really on the money but i have seen few HDR shots i like - the main reason being it makes the photo a bit of ART - nothing wrong with that - just not my thing....

if you're going to change reality - why not loose the pilon and electric cables to leave a clean sky?

I could see this image full page in a magazine/newspaper/sundaymagazine or on a poster/billboard - well done

Last edited:
love the photo would love to see the original as the timing/focus/comp etc really on the money but i have seen few HDR shots i like - the main reason being it makes the photo a bit of ART - nothing wrong with that - just not my thing....

if you're going to change reality - why not loose the pilon and electric cables to leave a clean sky?

I could see this image full page in a magazine/newspaper/sundaymagazine or on a poster/billboard - well done

I'm not sure that I'm changing reality THAT much, I've enhanced colours and textures, that's about it. I also only did this to see how HDR and action work together, so it is quite heavily processed. The next set I do will be less so I think.

Here's the original:

2502813711_e3c201653c_o.jpg

and the edit for comparison:

2487011877_e5ef411af6_o.jpg

Well the 2nd is clearly more dramatic, but the 1st is grounded in reality and a great shot in its own right.

There is no question that the second image is the more impressive - but there is a part of me that discounts the second as fiction and embraces the first as fact - does that make sense???? - As I said before - for me - each to their own
I think what would nail it is (can you do this?) if the background was HDR and the rider was as the original...

Thanks for the quick post - as I said the original photo was great

Back