HDR in Camera Raw

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
I haven't tried any HDR yet but understand that you use several different exposures of the same subject, taken with tripod, to eliminate movement. Is it possible to use just one RAW photo, adjust the exposure, save as JPEG, then make another two copies from Camera Raw using different exposures, then use Merge to HDR with the 3 differently exposed files.

I Didnt know you were using PS for hdr.

I save as tiffs and use photomatix, once youve merge several shots/exposures you have to open up the tone mapping and play around there

You can download the Photomatix plugin for PS and use that to tonemap the image :)

Yeah, you can't fool cs photoshop into thinking they are different shots....

I have also done a beginners step by step guide using photomatix after being asked many times, you can find it Here

Is Photoshop CS2 as good as other progs for HDR? I had a go over Easter by taking different exposures and then using Photoshop to create the HDR image. It didn't look any different to a normal pic :|

If you have a fast frames per second you can sometimes get away with hand holding. I often use the 5 fps mode and it's fine. Also just in case you miss it in the guides I suggest using the camera on aperture priority mode to keep it consitent across the 3 frames.

If you have a fast frames per second you can sometimes get away with hand holding. I often use the 5 fps mode and it's fine. Also just in case you miss it in the guides I suggest using the camera on aperture priority mode to keep it consitent across the 3 frames.

But I dont think I can do that with a Nikon D40X. It has fast frames per second but doesn't have bracketing, so I can't see anyway I could take at different exposures.:thinking:

so I can't see anyway I could take at different exposures.:thinking:
You are not able to auto bracket with a d40x BUT if you take an exposure reading then put your camera in manual and set to the reading you took shoot, then adjust slower shutter shoot and then faster shutter shoot...as long as it is tripod mounted and you take care adjusting settings not to move the tripod, you should be ok.

Back