HDR in CS2

Name
Carole
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry about this, but I've searched forum and failed to find what I'm looking for, so I will ask............

I'm sure I saw someone recently ask about doing an HDR in CS2 from one RAW file and getting the dialogue box that says there isn't enough dynamic range to do the conversion. Well I've got the same issue. I wasn't intending to do an HDR when I took the pic (hence only one image), but when I got it on screen, I thought I'd have a go. As its a RAW file, I tried to do one conversion (into a TIFF) with the exposure slide a long way over to negative, one middle and one a long way over to positive. Because I then got that dialogue box, I repeated it, taking the exposure slider all the way to the limits, but still got same message.

Any ideas?....:wacky:

I'm sure I saw someone recently ask about doing an HDR in CS2 from one RAW file and getting the dialogue box that says there isn't enough dynamic range to do the conversion.
That'll be me. :thinking: I remember doing it, but I can't be arsed looking for the thread. :naughty:

I think you need three images that have been taken with varying shutter speeds as opposed to apertures. I remember having this problem a few months ago and I'm pretty sure this is what I found out.

I thought it was just the EV that needs to be different. -2, 0, +2

I thought it was just the EV that needs to be different. -2, 0, +2

If it was just dynamic range that was important then you're right Janice but if the aperture range is varied then the depth of field changes too. This will give a soft edge around the parts that are coming into or out of the depth of field range... you could argue too that movement of object in the frame(s) will give a similar result... you wouln't be wrong ;) If you alter the shutter speed as opposed to the aperture the softening effect at the 'image edges' are reduced.

Nothing's perfect is it? :shrug:

good thinking mr. springy eyes!! :D

i will do that next time!

However......if you are taking a RAW file and making it -2, 0, +2 EV then the aperture....depth of field... cannot become an issue surely.
You are only changing the exposure AFTER the photo is taken.

However......if you are taking a RAW file and making it -2, 0, +2 EV then the aperture....depth of field... cannot become an issue surely.

spot on Janice

there is some dedicated software that will help and has more tolerance that CS2 - photomatix is the name - cant remember the web address but guess you cant go far searching on the name.

Thats what I use! ;) (y)

I was just saying that CS2 wont generate them for some reason.
No probs for me........as I use Photomatix! :D

Thats what I use! ;) (y)

I was just saying that CS2 wont generate them for some reason.
No probs for me........as I use Photomatix! :D

I guess CS2 is just a little more fussy over the input :shrug:

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say - and that is the best way to have subject consistency..... no argument here....

But.... is RAW exactly the same as the sensor being exposed +2EV and -2EV? Call me controversial but I doubt it gives the same results.... there again I expect it would be difficult to spot... only purist would notice.

I was the same with film .... did/does 50 iso and 400 iso show the same results as pulling/pushing processing? :shrug:

It's my view you cannot get HDR from just one RAW image. You can get EDR (Extended DR). HDR requires more than one image.

Using one image you are only extending the dynamic range of that one image. By using 3 images you have a higher overall dynamic range to work with in Photoshop.

Back