HDR Software

Techno-Geek

Boring
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any free software out there that can produce a HDR image from just one JPEG?

I've tried shooting in RAW and RAW + L but they all come out grainy even, viewing them on Picasa, could that be because ISO was to high?

Tony

(PS: Sorry about starting all these threads)

I've tried doing the AEB thing after ready up on it on Pete Carr's website, should i be using just RAW or RAW + L?

Tony

ideally RAW and braketing as it will produce the best results, braketed JPG's will work well too but you will normally get slightly more grainy results when pushing the processing. Failing that acceptable results can be had from one RAW file with the choice being yours as to weher you process directly in your chosen software or create three differently exposed jpgs first.

So if i shoot in RAW how do i convert them to Jpeg afterwards? How can you open up RAW files in elements?

Is there any free software out there that can produce a HDR image from just one JPEG?

No because its impossible. What you're asking for is a way of getting that "HDR" look which is produced by tone mapping a HDRI. A JPG is an 8bit image and theres no way of magically making it into a 32bit HDRI.

So if i shoot in RAW how do i convert them to Jpeg afterwards? How can you open up RAW files in elements?

You can use the software that came on the CD with your camera or a third party app such as lightroom.

If you want to do HDR the best results will come from three diferently exposed RAW files, the easiest way to do this is to use the auto braketing feature on you camera. This can even be done handheld if you concentrate and don't expect ulta sharp results.

The fakeness all comes from tone mapping. Thats what you see when you look at someones "HDR" pic. You're not looking at the HDR image because its impossible to with consumer displays. So what he wants is to tone map a single JPG which is possible but it will look rubbish.

IMO, you can't create a true HDR image from one image. You can get a fake one, but you need three images upwards for a proper HDR image.

Yeah

The fakeness all comes from tone mapping. Thats what you see when you look at someones "HDR" pic. You're not looking at the HDR image because its impossible to with consumer displays. So what he wants is to tone map a single JPG which is possible but it will look rubbish.

Your right, i am not going to use one JPEG instead I'm going to shoot in RAW :) i guess it's another learning curve for me (y)

What else should the camera be set to? is there anything that will help?

Tony

Right i've downloaded topaz adjust for now, and will be buying photo soon :)

Thanks for the help guys

Back