HDR: The Old Pump House

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Come across an old pump house today with another TP member, so I thought I'd try my hand at HDR again. I have a filthy habit of overcooking images, so if you're not a fan of HDR, look away now!

2.jpg

Any C&C received gratefully!

Last edited:
Really nice try but can't help but think it's slightly overcooked!!! lol

Last edited:
Twas a very dull day, no clouds to work with the blurryness is down to the long exposure and the wind.

I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it! (y)

Looks very nice i think but im a newbie... can i do these type of pics with a 600D.?

I think if you straighten up the building etc, crop a bit from the foreground as it's not very visually appealing......give more focus on the structures.....

And kill the overcooked look, you will be onto a much better image IMO :)

try using clarity on the sky boost the contrast on a sky selection and you WILL get some cloud definition. Its always there but you have to work at it. If you are gentle you can even add shadows with dodge and burn.. Experiment on a separate copy layer and then merge or mask together.
I think its generally gone a bit " harry potter" there but try adjusting the tone mapping to bring it down a tad.

I almost want to cringe at this :LOL:

It is a bit overdone but I suppose it's a good attempt and if you like it then that's all that matters (y)

Looks very nice i think but im a newbie... can i do these type of pics with a 600D.?

yes...but not straight out of the camera, you have to manipulate the images with softwear, you can do it in photoshop but there are dedicated programmes out that do it better, HDR efex pro and photomatix are 2 that spring to mind

google Exposure Bracketing and use these as your images to combine for that HDR effect ;)

thank you Brendan Mulachy for the info.. (y)

Nice composition and an interesting building but wowzer, I'm all for a subtle hdr to bring some interest back into the sky or the shadows but that is, to my eyes, very strong!!

Slight wide halo effect along the right hand roof and side, and the background trees to the right of the building.

I'm not a member of the HDR Police. Whatever you like. It's ok.

your technique is pretty close to the hdr i do myself
a foreground crop and some work on the sky in the lifting beam trestle area would work well
its a fun shot
cheers
geof

Thanks for the crit guy, all taken on board - I'm not a massive fan of HDR myself, but thought I'd give it a try!

Need to work on my processing :LOL:

I think if you straighten up the building

Definitely this for me, was the first thing I noticed as soon as I opened the thread, looks like the building is leaning.

Apart from that, a very nice image!

there is some haloing around the trees to the left of the red iron girders.

I quite like it, it sort of has a picasso feel to it, if that makes any sense ?

Back