Headline news?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
No
So what's the general feeling about the use of the "crying child" pic in today's press? As photographers what do we think of this? Without getting into a discussion about food banks preferably.

Pure manipulation.

Pure manipulation.

Yes, I can see how people might feel that way. To be honest it's not a news paper I would ever buy, so I don't know if they actually explained that it was not actually a photograph of a British child crying, but an American one. Plus the fact it is a stock photograph and can be found on Flickr.

It's a pitiful image utilised only to attempt to twitch the ovaries of 50% of the population IMO.

Some background: http://www.theguardian.com/commenti.../16/daily-mirror-weeping-child-lie-food-banks

Photo taken in 2009 of an American child crying over a trivial incident (earthworm in a park!) used to illustrate a story on the rise in the number of food bank users and 'hungry children'.

I agree it is misleading (should have at the very least been labelled 'library image' or 'stock photo'). But even so a stock photo is not usually used to illustrate a front page news story in this manner.

They are not the only newspaper to use a misleading photo on the front page though - eg: http://www.themediablog.co.uk/the-media-blog/2013/01/daily-express-snow-photos.html Not to mention misleading headlines which occur all the time - eg: the Express front page headline saying the black box had been 'found' last week, reports of a twin towers terror plot, suicide pilot before that etc.

Last edited:
To me its wrong & lazy,if they have a story they believe in sent out an photographer to find a real photo for the story :(

Might not always be possible on a story of this nature (published report) due to deadlines, but in this case they did apparently (and the real family was used for the story inside pages) - so they should have possibly used a photo from that.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/polis/2014/04/16/look-in-the-mirror-for-an-interesting-ethical-dispute/

http://barker.co.uk/fakephotos

To me its wrong & lazy
I have no idea what paper has used the photo, but I guess you could be describing the majority of it's readers there too ... not that I can be bothered checking like ;)

Might not always be possible on a story of this nature (published report) due to deadlines, but in this case they did apparently (and the real family was used for the story inside pages) - so they should have possibly used a photo from that.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/polis/2014/04/16/look-in-the-mirror-for-an-interesting-ethical-dispute/

http://barker.co.uk/fakephotos

Still think its wrong,i would say the story come under photojournalism as far as the photos goes,and the photo is a fake as far as the story goes,very bad decision by the Mirror :(

I handed out a food parcel today to a man and his 6 year old daughter

The girl burst into tears when she saw the food which then set her dad off

So I have no problem in the picture they used because it absolutely helps to illustrate the very true story of foodbanks

I know that there are plenty of people struggling to make ends meet nowadays, but judging by the size of children and adults, I sincerely wonder how many are going without food. After watching the London marathon on Sunday, I am struggling to remember when I last saw someone in my area with as little meat on their bones as the elite athletes.
Maybe child benefit/allowance should be structured in order that a percentage has to be spent on food?

Interestingly the BBC news this morning were discussing this story this morning and whether it was appropriate to use a stock photo, it seems to have got a fair bit of media interest (the photo use that is, not the food banks!)

So I have no problem in the picture they used because it absolutely helps to illustrate the very true story of foodbanks

Like in the sun today... A single mum in Peterborough gets £22k a year in benefits and uses a food bank "so I can take my daughter to the cinema and buy cigarettes". Well that's ok then!

But the biggest attention this story is drawing at the moment is the fake photo,which in the end could do more harm than good :(

Newspaper gets it wrong shock!!

It is a mistake to take anything you read in a newspaper at face value.

I happened to be in Berlin for a week in November 1989 for a company conference. Coincidentally the same time the wall came down. A photo on the front page of a Sunday broadsheet showed a load of people celebrating on top of the wall, under the headline about Germans celebrating the fall of the wall. The problem was that all the people in the photo were from our company conference who after a few drinks decided to join the celebrations. They were (in the photo) all British.

So in both cases not photojournalism but still illustrates the point I suppose.

Like in the sun today... A single mum in Peterborough gets £22k a year in benefits and uses a food bank "so I can take my daughter to the cinema and buy cigarettes". Well that's ok then!
The foodbank in York (which my church is a distribution centre for) operate a voucher based system which can only be allocated by certain people (e.g. social services) and each person can only receive a limited number of food parcels (I think it's 3 in 6months) because it's meant to get people out of a jam rather than providing a long term support system. I'm sure that there are those who could/do abuse the system, but on the whole its well run to limit this happening.

Newspaper gets it wrong shock!!

I happened to be in Berlin for a week in November 1989 for a company conference. Coincidentally the same time the wall came down. A photo on the front page of a Sunday broadsheet showed a load of people celebrating on top of the wall, under the headline about Germans celebrating the fall of the wall. The problem was that all the people in the photo were from our company conference who after a few drinks decided to join the celebrations. They were (in the photo) all British.

So in both cases not photojournalism but still illustrates the point I suppose.

Didn't we just go thought Levsion and a big court case now going on,we need a free press but theses mistake just give ammunition to those who rather not have a free press :(

I'm beginning to think though, that the press need to begin to earn their freedom by being truthful and accountable.

I'm beginning to think though, that the press need to begin to earn their freedom by being truthful and accountable.

And if memory serves me well this particular paper has used "faked" photographs before in an attempt to stir up the public. I do have a problem when the publishers do not state that a photograph is only "representative". Of course in this case it wouldn't have the shock value they hoped.

Very true. A long while ago, (can't remember who said it but I think was a former newspaper employee), I recall them saying the only thing you should believe in a newspaper is the date at the top of the page.

The only way the media industry will change is if we vote with our pockets and stop buying them.

As everyone still buys them it continues on the same

They'd all do better if they reported to news instead of trying to form opinion. Most of what is printed is comment and assertion based on rumour and unfounded "facts". What ever happened to good old fashioned investigative journalism?

Nobody would buy it, advertisers wouldn't advertise and they'd go out of business. Newspapers sell because they appeal to base instincts, self superiority and nosiness (I'm better than them, they're worse off than me, see how stupid X is, oooh what are 'they' doing?)

Back